Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

015:

Chapter Fifteen
“I’m sorry about the loss,” Milan said and I sighed into the phone.

“We’ll get ‘em next time,” I muttered as the team and I got onto the bus to head towards the airport because we were heading back to DC, “When’s your next game?”

“Tomorrow, I need to start heading towards the Garden soon, we fly out to Phoenix later today,” he said and I sat in my seat in the middle of the bus, making sure to get the window seat.

“Well have a safe flight.”

“You too,” he said and I smirked, feeling someone sit next to me and seeing Mike, “Call me when you get to Phoenix.”

“All right, I think I’ll be in the air when you get home, but text me anyways,” he said and I smiled and leaned against the window.

“I will, promise,” I said and heard him chuckle.

“You know Marshy misses his best friend,” Milan said and I sighed and rubbed my forehead, “I know, I know, I ruined the moment-“

“Yes, yes you did,” I muttered and Milan chuckled.

“I know you miss him too.”

“I gotta go,” I said and then looked to see that the bus was starting to move.

“All right, I’ll talk to you later. I miss you, Alyssa.”

“I miss you too, I’ll text you when I’m home,” I said and then smiled and hung the phone up.

“Who was that?” Mike asked and I rolled my eyes, knowing that he was trying to eavesdrop on my conversation with Milan.

“Just a friend,” I muttered and then looked out the window.

It was December 27th, we had just lost last night’s game against Buffalo and was on our way home to prepare ourselves for our home game against the Rangers.

“Was that a Bruins?” Mike asked and I nodded my head, “Which one?”

“None of your business,” I said and Mike smirked and turned to his side to get Alex’s attention.

“Come on AJ, who was it? Why do you like pissed?” Mike asked and I looked towards him and sighed.

“Do you like to pry into other people’s business?” I asked and Mike looked a little taken back at how harsh I was.

“AJ,” I heard and looked in front of me to see that Alex had taken the seat and was leaning his chest against the seat, “What happened in Boston? You’re head wasn’t in the game last night.”

“Nothing,” I muttered, turning my head and watching the bus drive past tree after tree.

“Something happened, you apparently have a stick up your ass now,” Mike said and then I heard a smack and saw that Nick had smacked his head, “Ow!”

“Shut up,” he grumbled and I sighed.

“You want to talk?” Alex asked and I shook my head.

“Not yet,” I said and Alex nodded his head.

“Let me know when you want to talk, I don’t want to see you playing sloppy like last night,” Alex said and I sighed and nodded my head, knowing that he was right, “Good,” he muttered and then turned around in his seat and sat down.

We got to the airport and then took the five hour flight back home, the whole time I stared out the window and listened to my iPod.

-Mike-
“What the hell is her problem?” I muttered as Alyssa stared depressed out of airplane window.

“Something happened in Boston,” Alex Semin said and I nodded my head.

The five hour flight back to Dc was quiet, and not like a comfortable quiet either, it was awkward, and no one knew why. The rage that was coming from the back of the plane made everyone’s hair stand on end. Alyssa was angry at someone, we knew it wasn’t us, maybe a little of herself, but there was someone else. Everyone knew that something happened in Boston, we just didn’t know what, we didn’t even realize that she was friends with some of the Bruins until the night that she was leaving to spend Christmas with them.

I was relieved when the plane landed and I knew that we were almost home. There was a bus that was going to take us to the arena so that we could get our cars and go home. When the bus stopped and I saw all of our cars, I stood up and looked towards the back of the bus to see that Alyssa was texting someone.

Jay was the one to tell her that we were here, not like she didn’t see everyone standing up. She stood, grabbed her things, and then waiting in line to get off of the bus. Alyssa said a quick ‘bye’ to everyone before walking towards her 2005 Chevy Cobalt and heading out of the parking lot.

‘…She has enough money to buy almost anything, and she still sticks with her old car…’ I smirked as I walked over towards my Bentley and hopped in and started the car. I was about to pull out when I heard a knock on my window and rolled down the window to see my Captain there.

“We need to find out what’s wrong with her,” he said and I nodded my head and rolled up the window when he started to walk towards his car.

Out of everyone on the team, I liked to think that Alex and I were the closest to Alyssa, I could be wrong, but we were always the ones she was around. So when she was upset about something, not only as a teammate, but as a friend, and someone who had a little crush on her, I wanted to know what was wrong, I wanted to know who hurt her.

-Alyssa-
‘…Just put it aside, forget about what happened, leave it off the ice…’ I kept telling myself as I sat on the bench and watched as the puck was shot back and forth between the zones.

The ref blew the whistle; Washington was being called for offside. Coach patted my shoulder and I hopped over the wall and landed on the ice, seeing Troy Brouwer skating off the ice.

It was the final ten minutes of the third period, the score was three to one, we were winning. I had barely played, but each time I did, I was still playing sloppy and I was getting aggravated. I managed to assist Alex in getting the second goal, but I needed one for myself.

I skated towards the faceoff circle and stood by Marc Staal and Mike, he kept on staring at me, I could feel his eyes in my back. Nick faced off against Brad Richards and won, the puck was passed to Mike and he passed it to me, or at least tried to, Mike Del Zotto came in and stole it just as I was about to get it. I cursed and pushed my blades into the ice as I chased after him to fix my mistakes.

“Not today!” I growled as I shoved Del Zotto into the boards stole the puck and headed back down the ice towards the Ranger’s goaltender. I passed the puck to Nick, who passed it to Jason Chimera, then passed it back to me as I got closer to the net. Once flick of the wrist and we heard the horn going off, “Yes!”

Nick, Jason, Mike and Karl Alzner skated over towards me and pulled me into a hug, the score was up four to one. I smiled brightly and then pulled back and skated over towards the bench, pounding fists with my teammates before going to the end and climbing through the open door and seeing Mike Knuble climbing over the wall.

“Nicely done,” Alex said and I smirked and nodded my head.

“Thanks,” I muttered and then looked up towards the screen as they showed the recap of the goal and then announced who made the goal and who assisted.

The game was over, final score being four to one, Capitals won, and I was happy to see that I scored the final goal. After jumping onto the ice and congratulating one another, we went into the locker room, Vokoun talked to the reporters about his awesome thirty eight saves, while everyone else showered and changed.

“I think we need to celebrate!” Mike said and I smirked and sat on the bench and grabbed my phone, checking to see the score for the Bruins at Coyotes game, “AJ!”

“Huh, what?” I asked and everyone looked at me.

“You coming out with us?” Nick asked and I gave a small smile and shook my head, “Come on, you scored tonight, you need to celebrate that!”

“I’m all right, I have something to do with my sister anyways,” I said and the guys sighed and nodded their heads. I looked back at my phone and saw that it was the end of the first period and the Bruins were tied one to one. The Bruins has scored forty seven seconds into the game, Krejci being the scorer, but then the Coyotes scored five minutes left into the first period.

“What?” Alex asked because I sighed when I saw that Milan was ejected from the game for fighting Oliver Ekman-Larrsson.

“Nothing,” I muttered, but then felt someone lean on my shoulder and turned to see my Captain there.

“Who you going for?” he asked and I looked back down at my phone.

“For what?” Jason asked.

“Bruins and Coyotes,” Alex answered.

“Bruins of course,” Mike smirked, answering the question for me, “Right?”

“Right,” I muttered and then saw a text appear on my screen, the name was ‘Hubby’, I smirked seeing that Milan was texting me, telling me that I had a nice goal.

“Who’s hubby?” Alex asked and I looked up to see that he was looking down at me.

‘…Damn, I didn’t want him to see that…’