Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

055:

Chapter Fifty Five
“Milan, are you ready?” Alyssa asked as I stood in front of the mirror tying my tie.

“Almost,” I muttered and looked at Alyssa through the mirror and saw her brushing her hair, wearing an appropriate black dress and some flats.

“Are you all right?” she asked and I nodded my head, feeling instantly guilty for lying to her.

Truth is, I felt sick, I’ve felt sick since last night when Nikola told me about how Brittany had a daughter and he thought that it was my child.

”Milan, the kid is like almost two years old,” he said and then threw his hands out, “Your little incident happened, ‘almost two years ago’! The girl even looks like you!”

“It’s not my kid!”

“It can be!” Nikola yelled and I shushed him, not wanting him to wake up Alyssa.

“It’s no, Brittany never came to me telling that she was even pregnant,” I said and Nikola sighed, “It’s not my kid.”

“Ok,” he said and then rubbed his face, “But if it is-“

“It’s not!” I growled and Nikola held up his hands.

“Listen!” he sighed, “If it is, what are you going to do? How do you think Alyssa is going to react?”

My eyes widened a little and I looked at the ground, “It can’t be my kid,” I muttered and then rubbed my face, ‘…It just can’t be…’


“Come on Milan, we’re going to be late,” I heard and finally snapped out of it to see Alyssa next to me, “Milan?”

“Uh, ok,” I said and then took a deep breath and headed out of the room, feeling Alyssa’s stares as I walked into the hallway. Alyssa and I walked down the stairs and into the living room, seeing dad and Nikola watching a movie and hearing mom in the kitchen, “We’re heading off.”

“All right,” dad said and I looked over towards Nikola to see him giving me a hard look.

‘…Please let this go all right…’ I thought as we walked towards the front door.

-Alyssa-
“There’s a lot of people here,” I said as I noticed all the cars.

“A lot of people like him,” Milan said and I noticed that he was really quiet. I just figured that he was sad about his friend dying. Milan parked the car, we got out and headed towards the front door of the funeral home. I felt Milan lace his fingers with mine and pull me close, “Just stay close to me, Lyssa.”

“All right,” I said and looked towards Milan to see that he was giving the funeral home a hard look, ‘…He’s nervous…’ People were walking outside as we were getting closer to the doors. Some of them seemed to stop walking and watch as we walked past them. I heard whispers, turned my head and saw people pointing their fingers, ‘…Something’s going on here…’

We walked through the doors, signed our names in the books and then headed towards the line to pay our respects to the family. I looked around and saw pictures of Milan’s friend on posters, there were many pictures from all different ages. I noticed though, that as every picture I looked at, something was off, “Milan.”

“You noticed didn’t you?” he asked, not even looking at me.

“Yeah,” I said and then sighed.

“Guess I pissed off the whole family,” he muttered and then sighed.

‘…One mistake and you erase every memory of a friendship?...’ I thought, noticing that there were no pictures of Milan and Derek together.

As the line got closer, I noticed that Milan got more fidgety, I kept asking if he was all right, but he just kept saying he was nervous. I could hear more people whispering, they were talking about Milan and I and I was getting the feeling that coming here was a mistake. Milan tightened his grip as his fingers were laced with mine.

‘…I’m getting this really big unwelcomed feeling…’ I thought as I looked around and saw people looking at us. The casket was in view. The faster we got there, the faster we can pay our respects to the family and then get the hell out of there.

“You all right?” Milan asked as he looked at me.

“I’m getting a bad feeling,” I said and he looked at me confused, “I don’t know, I just have this gut feeling that something’s gunna happen.”

“Nothing’s going to happen, it’ll be fine,” he said and then sighed, “I hope,” he breathed, thinking that I didn’t hear it, but I did.

Milan and I paid our respects to Derek, I shook hands with the family and gave them my sympathy, seeing that they were a little hesitant with Milan, but no one said a word. Once we finished, Milan placed his hand on the small of my back and we headed out of the funeral home. I heard Milan breathe a sigh of relief.

“Where do you think you’re going?!” I heard and we both stopped when we got to the where we were about to cross the street. I heard Milan curse and then watched as he turned around, “Did you think that you would be able to walk up in here and act like nothing happened?”

I turned around and saw this girl walking over towards us, she was really pretty, but I didn’t know who she was.

“Hi Brittany,” Milan muttered and we both tensed.

‘…This is the girl that he slept with? She’s really pretty…’ I thought as I looked her up and down and then felt Milan pull me into his side.

“Don’t ‘Hi Brittany’ me, Milan!” she barked and I looked at her a little surprised, “No one believed that when I said that you would come! I’m the only one who really knew that you would show up to Derek’s funeral!”

“Why wouldn’t I?” Milan asked and Brittany scoffed.

“I see you found yourself a new fuck buddy,” she scoffed and I glared towards her.

“Watch your mouth,” I growled and felt Milan’s grip on me tighten even more.

“What do you want, Brittany?” Milan asked and I scoffed and turned away from her.

“I want you to meet someone,” she said and I looked back at her confused, “Valentina!” I heard her call and felt Milan tense again.

“So it’s true,” Milan muttered and I looked at him confused.

“Ah, so you heard? I’m guessing Nik told you then?” Brittany asked and Milan nodded his head, “Figured, he’s the one who approached me.”

“I don’t believe it,” Milan said and I was confused as I watched this little girl being carried to us by this older woman.

“Thank you, Momma,” Brittany said and I watched as this woman handed the little girl over towards Brittany, glared at Milan and then me, and then walked away, “Milan, meet Valentina,” she said and I looked at the little girl.

‘…She’s cute…’ I gave a small smile.

“Your daughter,” Brittany finished and that smile fell from my face and I almost fell over.

“What?!” I growled and Milan looked at me.

“It’s not true!” Milan said and I glared at him.

“Oh but it is!” Brittany said and then smirked towards me, “He knocked me up and then left me.”

“Stop lying Brittany!” Milan barked and Brittany laughed and shook her head.

“Why would I lie?”

“I don’t know,” Milan growled and I shoved my hand out of his and shook my head.

“Face it sweetheart, Milan and I have a child together,” Brittany said and if she didn’t have that baby in her arms, I would have punched her.

I glared at Milan and then back towards Brittany, “I want it proven,” I said and she looked at me confused.

“What?” she asked and I looked over towards Milan.

“I want to see proof that this baby is Milan’s,” I hissed, “You show me a positive paternity test and I will believe that this girl is Milan’s daughter.”

“Fine! I’ll make an appointment in the morning!” she barked and I nodded my head.

“That’s all I want,” I said as I looked at Milan, turned around and headed for the car, ‘…Yup, knew to always follow my gut, there’s that bad feeling…’

I walked to the rental car and turned around to see Milan jogging over, “Alyssa-“

“Don’t,” I barked and Milan walked over towards me.

“Al-“

“Don’t Milan,” I hissed and Milan placed his hands on my arms and I glared at him.

“It’s not mine,” he said looking me in the eye, “It can’t be.”

“No Milan, it can, that baby can be yours! You could have a daughter! You could be a father!” I yelled and Milan placed his hands on my next and rubbed away the tears that started to unknowingly fall.

“I’m not a father, she’s not mine, she can’t be, I’m positive of that,” he said and I shook my head.

“She looks just like you Milan,” I said and Milan sighed and nodded his head.

“But I just don’t believe that she’s mine,” he said, “Why wouldn’t she have come sooner to me? Why wait until this very moment to tell me?”

“I don’t know, but that bad feeling in my gut is still there.”