Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

058:

Chapter Fifty Eight
“Merry Christmas, Red!!!” Brad said as he ran over towards Alyssa and practically tackled her to the ground.

“Marshy!” Alyssa laughed as she hugged her friend back as she laid under him, “I missed you!”

“I missed you too!” Brad yelled and I smirked as I looked at the two on the ground.

“Dog pile!” I heard and turned my head to see that Tyler had walked into the room, back from his long adventure in Switzerland during our lockout.

I laughed as Tyler ran over towards the two on the floor and playfully jumped on them and joined in on the action.

“Oh my god, you guys are too heavy!” Alyssa yelled and I smirked and watched as they just hugged her, not seeing her in a long time.

“Auntie!!!” I looked down and saw Dylan, Nathan’s oldest son, running past me and then climbing on top of Brad and Tyler to get to the top of the dog pile.

“Oh that’s a Kodak moment right there,” Nathan laughed as he walked over, holding his youngest son, five month old, Zachary.

“I got it,” I smirked as I pulled out my phone and took a quick picture, “All right, let’s help her up.”

“Thank you!” Alyssa barked and I smirked walked over towards the pile and helped everyone up.

Months have passed, the lockout was still going on and it was now the day before Christmas Eve. Some of the players have moved back to Boston, if they haven’t already, in hopes of the lockout being over soon. Right now we were at the Garden celebrating our annual Christmas party, Alyssa and I were the first ones there and we used that time for me to show her around. Brad, Tyler and Rebecca showed up and then Nathan, Tammy and their kids next. More and more people were showing up, and I noticed Alyssa slip out of the room.

I looked around the room and then headed out the door, seeing her heading towards the ice. Alyssa leaned against the boards and looked at the ice and I saw the smile on her face.

“You all right?” I asked and Alyssa looked back towards me and smiled.

“I’m great,” she said and I smiled and wrapped my arm around her waist and kissed her forehead, “If the lockout would be over, I’d be perfect.”

I chuckled and nodded my head and turned my head when I heard Chara calling my name, “Come on, let’s go meet the team.”

“All right,” Alyssa smiled and then laced her fingers with mine as we walked back towards the locker room. We walked into the locker room and Alyssa was happily greeted, “Hi guys.”

“You made it,” Tuukka said as he walked over and hugged Alyssa.

“Red,” I looked up and saw Tyler walking over, “This is Doug Hamilton,” he introduced our newest rookie.

“Nice to meet you-“

“Another ginger!!!” Alyssa squealed and I watched as she jumped on him and wrapped her body around him hugging him, “Oh and he’s sooooo cute!”

I blinked a few times, not understanding what was going on, but seeing some of the guys laughing, ‘…Should I be worried?...’

“Red, don’t kill the poor kid,” Brad laughed as I looked around and realized that I didn’t have to be worried.

“But look at him, he’s got the baby face, and come on! He’s a ginger!” she smiled brightly and I chuckled and watched as she let go of him and looked up, “And of course he’s taller than me.”

“Everyone’s taller than you, AJ,” Chara said and Alyssa scoffed.

“You have no room to talk, you’re just freakishly tall,” Alyssa said and I laughed, “Listen to me, cutie, you and me,” she was pointing to herself and him, “Us gingers need to stick together!”

“Oh my god!” I muttered as I laughed and shook my head.

-Alyssa-
“Guess this time I don’t need to worry about you coming after me,” I said as I looked up towards Chara.

“Why’s that?” Andrew Ference asked and I smirked.

“Because I’m not wearing red, so the bull won’t come after me,” I answered as we all stood on the ice in our practice gear, ready to have a playful match. Something that I learned the Bruins did at every Christmas party.

“Auntie!!!” I heard and turned my head to see that Dylan, Nathan’s son, was skating over towards me on the ice, “Auntie, Daddy said that you’re going to show me-“

“Dylan,” I skated over towards him because he had fallen back on his butt, “Are you all right, buddy?”

“Yeah, my butt’s wet,” he said and I giggled and bent down to help him up.

“You all right, little man?” Nathan asked as he came over and bent down.

“My butts wet!” he said but had a smile on his face.

“Look at that, it is!” Nathan smirked and then nudged his shoulder into mine.

“Can we get this game started, please?!” Adam McQuaid asked and Nathan sighed and skated Dylan back over towards Tammy.

“Yeah, let’s get it started,” I said and then moved to the center of the ice.

We were split into teams and this time I was going to be playing the centre, giving myself a taste of what I was going to be dealing with, come opening day, whenever that would be.

By the end of the long game, Team Chara, my team, beat Team Bergeron, Milan’s team. I smirked and teased Milan as we headed back to the locker room to shower and then head home since the party was over.

I ended up bringing my clothes into the shower and left them in the drier parts. I showered and got changed and then waited for Milan to come into the back and get me, telling me that it was safe to come out.

After the Christmas party was over, Tyler, Brad, Milan, Rebecca and I went out to dinner and then went our separate ways. During dinner a few fans came up to us, wanting some autographs and some pictures. We also found it funny that Brad flirted with the waitress almost the whole time, but he managed to get her number.

Rebecca and I headed back to our apartment, leaving the guys to head home buy themselves. We walked into our place and saw Duke running over to greet us.

"Hey buddy!” I smiled and bent down to pet him, “You want to go for a walk?”

“Ooo, I want to come,” Rebecca said and I smiled and nodded my head as I grabbed Duke’s leash and hooked it to his collar.

“Ready?” I asked and Rebecca nodded her head.

We walked out of our apartment building and headed down the street towards the dog park. It was late at night, but I didn’t think anything or anyone would want to mess with us when we had a boxer with us. We were only gone an hour, walking to the park, roaming around and then heading back to the apartment.

By the time we walked through the door, our landline was ringing. Rebecca and I looked at each other confused, but Rebecca ran over and answered it. Not a lot of people had our landline number, sometimes, I couldn’t even remember what it was, and now since we moved, we had a new one, and I really didn’t know what it was.

“Hi daddy!” Rebecca smiled brightly and I smirked, “Really? Oh that’s awesome- Wait what?” I looked at Rebecca confused and walked over towards her, “Dad says that he’s at the airport.”

“Our dad?” I asked and Rebecca smirked and nodded her head, “Our airport? Boston airport?”

“Yeah, he came for Christmas!” she said and I looked over towards the calendar and sure enough it said that dad was coming for Christmas.

“Shit,” I muttered since I had forgotten that he was coming. I looked around the bare, undecorated home and sighed, “We’re gunna hear about this.”

“See you soon, dad,” Rebecca sighed and then hung up the phone, “We’re screwed.”

“How long until he gets here?” I asked and she sighed.

“About a half hour,” she said and I shook my head.

“Not gunna make it, gunna be lectured,” I said and then sighed. Our father was really into holidays and always wanted houses to be decorated to show their holiday cheer.

“Has dad met Milan yet?” Rebecca asked and I shook my head, “He hasn’t met Tyler either.”

“What are you two?” I asked and she sighed and shrugged her shoulders, “Bed buddies or are you two in an actual relationship?”

“A little bit of both maybe,” she said and I scoffed and then shook my head.

“Boy better hurry up and do something,” I said and Rebecca groaned.

“Thank you!”

-Milan-
I was sitting on the couch with Brad and Tyler watching an AHL game when my phone went off and I saw that Alyssa was calling me. I smirked and then stood up and walked towards the hallway, “Miss me already?”

“Funny,” she said and I chuckled, “Will you do something for me?”

“Yeah anything,” I said and leaned against the wall.

“Come over for dinner tomorrow to meet my father,” Alyssa said and I tensed and bit the side of my lip, “Milan?”

“What time?” I asked a little nervous.

“Is the big bad Mr. Milan Lucic afraid?” Alyssa teased and I sighed.

“No,” I said and heard Alyssa laugh.

“Babe, we’ve been dating for almost a year,” she said and I smiled brightly, “I’ve met your family, it’s time for you to meet mine.”

“You’re right,” I said and sighed, “What time’s dinner?”

“Be there for six,” she said and I bit my lip.

“I’ll be there.”

“All right, great, thanks. Oh and Milan,” she said happily.

“Yeah?”

“Since I know he’s with you, tell Segs that he better be there too.”

“All right,” I laughed.

“Love you.”

“Love you too,” I said and she hung up and I sighed and walked back into the living room and sat back on the couch.

“What’s up?” Brad asked

“I get to meet Alyssa’s father tomorrow,” I said and Brad and Tyler laughed.

“Yeah don’t laugh Segs,” I said and smirked.

“Why not, it’s funny,” he said and I smirked.

“You’re coming too,” I said and Tyler’s smirk disappeared and his eyes were wide, “Yeah, didn’t see that coming, did ya?”