Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

070:

Chapter Seventy
“What’s wrong with her?” Rebecca asked as she stormed into the waiting room and looked at me.

“I don’t know, I haven’t heard anything.”

“What do you mean you haven’t heard anything?! Why haven’t you heard anything?!” she snapped and I sighed and looked over towards the doors that Alyssa was carried through, “Milan!”

“Becca, calm down, Looch doesn’t know anything and won’t know anything until the doctor comes out,” Tyler said to Rebecca to try and calm her down.

We waited for another half hour before the door to the waiting room opened and Alyssa’ s name was called. Coach had just showed up and was just as demanding for answers as Rebecca. The doctor came over and looked at all of us.

“You’re all for Brace?” he asked and Rebecca, Tyler, Nathan, Coach and I nodded out heads, “Family?”

“I’m her sister! Our father’s in Canada, but he’ll be here tomorrow,” she said and the doctor nodded his head.

“She’s a hockey player-“

“I’m aware of who she is, Coach,” the doctor said to our Coach and he nodded his head, “You girl is suffering from hypoglycemia, we found a needle mark in her thigh. Was she doing drugs?!”

“NO!” Nathan and I said and then looked at each other and looked down.

“What’s hypogly- whatever?” Rebecca asked and I looked up to see Tyler looking at me confused.

“Hypoglycemia is when the body takes in too much insulin, it lowers your blood sugar too much. Most people feel cranky, tired, confused, shaky, but in serious cases, such as this one, Ms. Brace passed out; although, she luckily didn’t have a seizure,” he explained and I looked at the doctor.

“So she fell on an insulin needle? Like someone with diabetes?” I asked and the doctor nodded his head. I knew about diabetes because some family members had it. I looked over towards Nathan and he looked a little relieved, this meant that Tammy wasn’t doing drugs, “Is that guy a-“

“Has to be,” he said and I nodded my head.

“Can someone explain to me how she had too much insulin?” Coach asked and Nathan sighed.

“It’s a long story, Coach, but she fell on the needle, trust me,” Nathan said and I nodded my head and Coach sighed and looked towards the doctor.

“How long till she’s better?”

“She’ll be fine, we gave her some sugary things to bring her blood sugar back up. I know you have a game tomorrow night, she’ll be good to play it,” he said and I breathed a sigh of relief, “Just take it slowly, she shouldn’t play too much, she’ll be one hundred percent after that,” the doctor said and we all nodded out heads, “You can go see her.”

Rebecca and Tyler followed the doctor towards Alyssa’s room while Coach grabbed mine and Nathan’s arm and held up back, “Answers, now!”

Nathan told him everything, about his wife cheating, about the guy that apparently works for the Bruins, about how he accidently pushed Alyssa and she landed on the needle to the panic of thinking of a lie on the way to the hospital.

“Christ,” Coach growled as he ran his fingers through his hair, “If the press find out about this- God, I don’t even want to know what’ll happen.”

“I know Coach, but can we go see her now?” I asked and Coach nodded his head and the three of us headed towards Alyssa’s bedroom.

-Alyssa-
“How ya feelin’, champ?” Chara asked and I glared at him and sighed.

“I’m fine, everyone needs to stop asking me that,” I growled and Chara chuckled and nodded his head.

I was released from the hospital last night, we had a home game against the Flyers today, I knew that I wasn’t going to be playing much, but I was happy that I was playing. I finished getting my gear on, listening to more and more of my teammates asking if I was all right. I ended up getting angry when Dougie asked and yelling towards the whole locker room that I was fine and that everyone needed to stop asking.

When it was time for our afternoon game, I skated out onto the ice and played to my heart’s content. I played about two shifts per period, but I managed to score a goal in the third period, and the final score was three to zero. After the game, I wanted to go home and relax, but as I was walking to my car, my Dad surprised me. My teammates got to meet my father, instead of going home and relaxing, I ended up going out to dinner with the guys and my father.

After dinner, my Dad and I went back to the apartment to just relax and talk.

“So why didn’t Milan come back with us?” Dad asked and I sighed.

“Because I asked for some time alone with my father,” I said and he nodded his head.

“How are you feeling?”

“I’m all right, like nothing ever happened,” I said and he sighed.

“Good,” he said and then we heard his cell phone going off. He looked at his phone, gave an angry face and then turned the ringer off.

“Everything all right?” I asked as I was confused by his actions.

“No, we need to talk,” he said and I nodded my head, but didn’t know what we needed to talk about,
“Your mother’s been in contact with me, she somehow got my number and has been calling me.”

“What? Why? I don’t want anything to do with her,” I scoffed and my Dad sighed and nodded his head.

“That’s what I figured, but she wants to see you,” he said and I shook my head, “Alyssa, she’s your mother.”

“And I’m your daughter!” I snapped as I stood up and slammed on the table, “You didn’t have any contact with me for over seven years! If I want no contact with her, you have no place to tell me that I can’t!” I growled and then sighed and sat back down and crossed my arms.

“You’re right, I choose your sister over you, and I’m sorry that I didn’t fight for you, Alyssa,” he said and then sighed, “But there’s a reason why I could have both of your,” Dad said and I looked at him, “You have to believe me, I really did want both of you. You would have had a better life.”

“I didn’t turn out so bad. In a way, I’m happy that I went with her, I probably wouldn’t have gotten all of the opportunities that I have if I hadn’t gone with her,” I said and he looked at me and sighed, “Whatever the reason is, you don’t have to tell-“

“You’re not my daughter, Alyssa,” he blurted out and my eyes were wide and I looked at him confused, “I mean you are, I’ve taken care of you since you were born. However, by blood, you’re not mine,” he said sadly and I stood up.

“What are you talking about?!”

“You mother cheated on me,” he said and then sighed, “That’s why when it came to child custody, I couldn’t have you.”

“So then who’s my father?!” I asked.

“I am your father!” he said and then looked down and sighed, “But your birth father- I don’t know, your mother wasn’t sure either,” he said and I looked at the ground, “But does it really matter who’s your father by blood? Wouldn’t it only matter how the person was there for you, took care of you, loved you? Alyssa, you might not be mine by blood, but you are my daughter.”

I looked up towards him and gave him a small smile and nodded my head, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s all right,” he said and then stood up and walked over towards me and hugged me, “I love you Alyssa.”

“I love you too, Dad.”

-Milan-
I was heading over towards Brad’s place because we were going to play some video games. I pulled into the parking lot and saw Tyler getting out of his car, I hadn’t realized that he was going to be joining us.

“What’s up, Segs?” I smirked and Tyler waved towards me, “You comin’ too?”

“Yup, I’m gunna kick your ass,” he said and I scoffed and shook my head.

“You wish.”

We made our way up to Brad’s apartment and walked towards his door. He knew that we were coming, so he usually just left the door unlocked. I opened the door and walked in, I froze at what I saw. My body reacted before my brain and I ran forward. We had walked into this big guy holding Brad against the wall by his neck. I ran forward and shoved the guy away and looked at Brad.

“You all right?” I asked and Brad nodded his head and stood up, coughing a little and rubbing his neck, “What the hell did you get yourself into?”

“Where is she, Bradley?” I heard and turned around to see Alyssa’s mom standing there.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I growled and looked towards Brad, “What is she doing here?”

“She’s looking for Alyssa,” he said and I glared towards her.

“You’re her boyfriend, right? You know where she is?” she asked and I clenched my fists, “Just tell us, I have someone who wants to see her. He’s never met his daughter before.”

My eyes widened and I turned my head to see the big guy standing behind me, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at me, ‘…What the hell is he a biker guy?!...’

“Alyssa doesn’t want to see you!” Brad yelled and then looked at the guy, “And she already has a father!”

“Not her real father,” she said and my eyes widened.

“Where is she?” the guy asked and I looked at him.

“Nowhere near the two of you,” I growled and the man looked like he was going to punch me, but Tyler jumped on his back and tried to bring the big guy down. He was tall like Chara, but bulkier than Thornton and myself.

‘…Fuck…’