Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

080:

Chapter Eighty
“Come on, Looch, you know that I can’t tell you that kind of information,” Doc said and I growled and took a deep breath.

“Doc, come on, I’m not asking as her teammate,” I said and Doc sighed, “I’m asking as her boyfriend, as a person who cares about her.”

“Milan, I’m sorry, but this is a doctor patient confi-“

“If she’s taking steroids then you can get in trouble too!” I said and Doc snapped.

“She is not taking steroids! I’m not that kind of doctor!” he said and I breathed a sigh of relief, “It’s a medicine that will nub the pain for a few hours,” he looked at his watch, “It should wearing off soon, and she’ll be in a lot of pain.”

“But it’s not steroids?” I asked and Doc sighed.

“I would never give any of my players stuff that could harm them,” he said, “I can’t tell you what she’s taking, but I will tell you- and I’m telling you this because you ‘are’ her boyfriend, that it’s not steroids.”

“Thanks Doc,” I said and then left the office to head back to the locker room. When I got there, everyone was sitting around looking bored, “What?”

“Red’s taking a long time in the shower,” Tuukka said and I sighed, “You’re the boyfriend, go see what’s up.”

I sighed and walked back towards the showers and towards the stall that she was in, “Alyssa?” I called and opened the door to see that she was curled up like a ball on the ground and holding her stomach, “Alyssa!” I turned the water off and bent down, “Hey, hey, look at me.”

“It hurts,” she breathed and I sighed, “Give me a minute.”

“What do I do?” I asked and she groaned and pushed herself up and leaned against the wall.

“When the medicine wears out, the pain that was pushed back hits me like a brick,” she said and I sighed and placed my hand under her chin and made her look at me, “I just need some sleep.”

“How long are you going to keep this up?”

“What?”

“I know they’re not steroids, but they’re pretty damn close,” I said and she swatted my hand away, “Alyssa-“

“No, Milan I need to finish this season!”

“No one’s going to say anything bad about you! You have gallbladder issues, no one can control that-“

“I can! That medicine allows me to control it!” she said and I sighed.

“Alyssa, look at yourself, you can’t even stand up, how are you controlling it?” I asked and she glared at me.

“I can stand,” she said and attempted to stand but starting to fall down and I rushed to grab her.

“See what I’m talking about Alyssa,” I said as I sighed and held her close to me.

“I just want to play hockey, Milan,” Alyssa breathed as she leaned her head against my shoulder and started to cry.

“I know, but you need to do this surgery-“

“Doc and Coach said that I can hold back on the surgery as long as the medicine works,” she said and I growled.

“It’s not working-“

“It is working!” she snapped and then stood up and winced and leaned against the wall, reaching for her towel and wrapping it around her naked body, “I played today, Milan- I scored the winning goal!”

“Alyssa, it might work for a few hours, but look at what it does to you now,” I said and she sighed, “Are you telling me that it’s worth it?”

“If I can play the game then yes,” she snapped and I growled and shook my head.

“You’re unbelievable!”

“Milan, what would you have me do?!”

“Not take drugs to play the damn game,” I said and then sighed, “You’re only hurting yourself more, Alyssa.”

“I can handle it, Milan.”

“You’re taking this way too far, Alyssa! You’re going to get yourself killed!” I snapped and she glared at me.

“Go to hell, Milan!” she growled and I sighed and shook my head.

“Fine,” I said and then turned around and left her, I walked out back into the locker room and saw the team talking, ‘…Good, they didn’t hear…’

“Is Alyssa all right?” Tyler asked.

“Yeah, she’s fine, just wanting to relax before we head back to the hotel,” I said and the guys nodded their heads, “Let’s head out.”

“What about AJ?”

“She’s almost ready,” I said and the guys nodded their heads, grabbed their gear and started to head out of the locker room.

“You all right?” I heard and looked to my side to see Nathan there.

“No,” I said and sighed, “She’s gunna get herself really hurt.”

“She’s taking steroids isn’t she?”

“Doc says no, I believe him but, it’s something that hurting her,” I said and he looked at me confused, “The medicine that she takes pushes the pain back as if it’s not there, and then it wears off and all of that pain comes back all at once and hits her hard.”

“Is that what’s going on back there?” Nathan asked and I sighed and nodded my head, “Dude, why are you out here then? Go back there and help her!”

“I tried, but my temper got me and we argued.”

“You’re going to argue with a person who is in immense pain, because that’s totally smart,” Nathan said and I sighed, “Looch, if you don’t go back there and help her, I will.”

“I’m going, I’m going,” I said and then sighed and went back into the shower room to see that Alyssa was getting dressed, slowly, but she was getting dressed, “Alyssa.”

“Go away, Milan.”

“Please talk to me-“

“No! You obviously made your opinions about me, so just save it-“

“Look! I just want to help you right now!” I said and she looked at me surprised, “Just let me help you get back to the hotel.”

-Alyssa-
“How are you feeling, Alyssa?” Doc asked as I sat on the table in Doc’s office, getting ready for Game two in Chicago.

“I’m fine,” I said and then held out my arm, “Let’s get this over with.”

“Alyssa, let me just say something-“

“Doc, I need to play-“

“Just let me say something,” he said and I sighed and nodded my head, “If you continue taking this medicine,” Doc sighed, “You’re going to get addicted to it.”

“What do you mean?” I asked confused.

“I don’t think you should take anymore, the more you take, the more pain that gets pushed back, the more intense the pain will be after the medicine wears off,” he explained and I looked at the ground.

“What’s right?”

“Right?”

“Should I do this?”

“Should you take the medicine? I don’t think so,” he said and I sighed.

‘…Milan’s right…’ I thought and nodded my head and then rolled down my sleeve, “Thanks Doc.”

“You sure about this, Red?” he asked and I nodded my head, “Are you going to play?”

“I’m going to try,” I said and he nodded his head.

“First sign of pain, you let me know,” he said and I nodded my head and left the office to head back to the locker room to get ready for the game.

I walked into the room, over towards my stall and started to get my gear on. I looked over towards Milan to see that he was looking at me, I gave him a small smile and then took a deep breath and started to get my gear on, ‘…You can do this…’

-Milan-
“Fuckin’ kidding me!” I growled as I found that we were going into the third overtime, the score being three to three. I looked over towards Alyssa to see that she had her head on the boards and she was breathing heavily. Alyssa, Nathan, Chara, Torey Krug and I were on the ice leaning against the board listening to Coach think of a plan to possibly get the goal that will win the game. I moved closer to Alyssa and patted her shoulder, “You all right?”

“Yeah,” she said and then took a deep breath and stood up.

“You didn’t take the medicine did you?” I asked and she shook her head.

“What the hell, Alyssa?”

“What? You’re mad at me for taking it, now you’re mad at me for not? Seriously make up your mind!” she snapped and Coach called out attentions. He told us the plan, get Alyssa the puck, we nodded our heads and headed out onto the ice with the Hawks. Alyssa was on a roll, two assists and one goal, I was happy for her, but I knew that the Hawks saw her as a threat.

Nathan faced off against Toews and won the puck, the third overtime was started and I was hoping that it was going to end soon, because we all were really tired and it was well after midnight.

Five minutes into the period, Alyssa was heading towards the puck, staying along the boards and looking like she was about to pass the puck when Patrick Kane, a player that’s been messing with Alyssa all night, charged towards him and slammed her against the boards. I knew something was wrong when her helmet flew off and pain just shot through her face as she fell to the ground.

“ALYSSA!!!”