Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

081:

Chapter Eighty One
“Talk to me Alyssa!” Doc yelled as he slid to Alyssa’s side and held her head, “Where does it hurt?!”

Alyssa was breathing heavily and she wasn’t speaking, Doc cursed and I looked at him concerned, “What is it?”

“I think she punctured her lung! I have to move fast! Get me a bus!” Doc yelled and the team all moved out of the way as the cart came onto the ice and got Alyssa, everyone moved so fast, no one said a word, “Kane hit her so hard, he probably broke a rib and it got lodged in her lung.”

“She’ll be all right, right?” I asked and Doc sighed.

“I have to work fast,” he said and then rushed off of the ice.

I watched as Alyssa disappeared and I couldn’t help but worry about her, ‘…Punctured lung? That could kill her, right?...’ I thought and then looked towards Kane to see that he was looking at me, I glared at him and was about to go after him but before I could even move, Chara, Nathan and Krejci were on me and pushing me back towards the bench.

“Take a seat, Looch, don’t you worry, we’ll get him back,” Chara said and I growled and glared towards Kane, who was looking at the boards to see what had happened.

Kane was ejected from the game and I clenched my fists because I wanted nothing more than to hurt him.

That night, the Hawks ended up taking Game two, all of our heads weren’t into it and less than five minutes onto the ice since Alyssa was carted off, Toews scored on Tuukka. We all rushed back into the locker room to hear from Coach how Alyssa was doing.

“I honestly don’t know anything guys,” Coach said and I rubbed my face and stared at the ground.

‘…Please be all right…’ I thought and then heard my phone going off, I sighed and dug through my bag in the stall and pulled it out to see that I had three missed calls from Rebecca, “Hey Bec-“

“Is she all right?!” Rebecca yelled into the phone.

“I honestly don’t know anything, I’m going to shower and change and head over towards the hospital-“

“Hospital? She’s in the hospital? I’m gunna fuckin’ kill Kane!” Rebecca growled and I nodded my head, “I’m on my way to Chicago!”

“We’re heading back to Boston tomorrow, I’ll let you know everything once I know.”

“Thanks Milan,” she said and I sighed and hung up and rubbed my face.

“She’s gunna be all right, Looch,” I heard and saw Tuukka looking at me.

“I’m gunna tear Kane apart,” I growled and clenched my phone.

-Nathan-
We all shower and changed and some of us took the bus to the hospital while the others just went back to the hotel. When we got to the waiting room, Doc was there, Milan rushed over to him and asked how Alyssa was, the news wasn’t good.

“I was right, Kane boarded her so hard he fractured a rib and it lodge in her lung, she wasn’t able to breathe and we almost lost her on the bus over. She’s in the middle of surgery now,” he said and Milan looked down and clenched his fists.

I walked over towards my friend and placed my hand on his shoulder, “How is she going to be after the surgery?”

“She’s done for the season,” he said, “Hopefully she’ll be back for regular season next year.”

“No preseason?” Tuukka asked and Doc sighed.

“Her recovery time may time a few months,” Doc said and I nodded my head and pulled Milan over towards some seats and sat him down, he looked like he was going to be sick.

“When can we see her?” Brad asked and Doc sighed.

“Not till the surgery is finished, she’s been in there for almost a half hour, should be a while, I know they were saying about getting the gallbladder while she was in there.”

“Gallbladder?” Tuukka and Ference asked.

“She’s been having stomach issues,” Milan muttered, “She didn’t want you guys to know.”

“Is that why she’s been pretty slow lately?” McQuaid asked and I instantly knew to jump in front of Milan from going after his teammate.

“Look who it is?” I heard Tyler say and I turned to see Patrick Kane running over towards us with his Captain behind him.

“Stay calm Looch, you’re not on the ice,” Chara said as he stood on the other side of Milan.

“How is she? Is she all right?” Kane asked out of breath and I looked at him confused, “I swear I didn’t mean to hit her that hard!”

“You almost killed her!” Brad yelled as he took a step forward, “Fuckin’ hit her so hard she punctured a lung!”

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to,” he said and I felt Milan tense up under my arms.

“Get the fuck out of here,” Milan growled and I looked at him and tightened my grip on his arm.

“What?” Toews asked as he took a step forward and placed his hand on Kane’s shoulder.

“Get the fuck out of here!” Milan yelled and tried to step forward but was held back by Chara, Brad and I.

“We’re not here for trouble, just wanted to know if she was all right,” Toews said and Brad and Tyler scoffed and shook their heads.

“Are you serious?” Brad asked and Kane sighed, “You must be out of your damn mind.”

“Look, we just want to know if she’s all right,” Kane said and Brad walked forward, grabbed Kane by the neck and walked him over towards the window where you can see Alyssa in the middle of surgery.

“Does she fuckin’ look like she’s all right?!” he growled as he shoved his face into the glass, “What part of ‘you almost killed’ don’t you understand?!”

“Marshy, let him go,” Doc said as he grabbed Brad’s arm and we watched as Kane was released and he walked back over towards Toews.

“You better fuckin’ hide on the ice, Kane,” Milan said and he looked up and glared at Kane, “Cause I’m gunna fuck you up.”

-Milan-
I sat by Alyssa’s side, holding her hand and staring at her face. She couldn’t breathe on her own, so they had to place a tube down her throat that’ll bring oxygen to her lungs. Alyssa had just gotten out of surgery only an hour go, being under the light for almost three.

Most of the guys were sitting, laying or leaning in her single bedroom and watched over her. We were supposed to leave to go back to Boston in five hours, I didn’t want to leave, but I knew that I needed to, Alyssa was going to stay in Chicago.

There was a knock on the door and we all looked up to see Coach walking into the room, “How is she?”

“Not good, she’ll be out for a while,” Nathan answered, I was too tired to talk to anyone, I just wanted to stay by Alyssa’s side.

“Damn, I was hoping for good news,” he said and then looked at his phone, “So she definitely punctured her lung?”

“Yeah, she’s on a tube to help her breathe,” Nathan said and I watched as Brad went to the other side of Alyssa and rubbed her arm with his fingertips.

“All right, I gotta make a call,” Coach said and Nathan nodded his head and walked over towards me and placed his hand on my shoulder, “You all need to go back to the hotel, we leave in a few hours.”

“I’m not going,” Milan said and Coach sighed.

“You’ll need to be on the bus in five hours,” Coach said and I nodded his head, “Horty will get your stuff together, just make sure you’re at the hotel before eight.”

“All right,” I said, my eyes not leaving Alyssa, ‘…I gotta call Becca…’ I thought as I sighed and pulled out my phone and dialing Alyssa’s sister.

“Hello?” she asked sleepily.

“Becca.”

“Milan? How is she?”

“Not good, you need to come to Chicago,” I said and then signed.

“I’m booking my flight, give me all the information I need,” Rebecca said and I started to answer all of her questions.

-Rebecca-
I was in the middle of packing a bag, I had booked a last minute flight and it was supposed to take off in a little over an hour. I rushed to my car and headed off to the airport, being sure to call dad to let him know what was going on, he was on his way as well.

I parked my car in long-term parking, not knowing how long I’d be gone and then headed into the airport, holding my carry on and dragging my small suitcase. I check in with only a few minutes to spare, I was happy it was an early flight and barely anyone was here. I went through security really fast and then ran over towards the gate, I made it just as they were closing the door.

“Have a great flight,” the woman said as she handed me back my ticket and I ran towards the plane.

‘…I’m coming Alyssa. I’m coming big sister…’