Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

082:

Chapter Eighty Two
By the time that I got to Chicago, the guys were back in Boston, preparing for their home game against the Blackhawks in the Finals. I rented a car and drove to a hotel near the hospital, quickly checked in and threw my things into the room and then headed over towards the hospital.

I walked up to the receptionist, “Can I help you?”

“I’m looking for Alyssa Brace’s room,” I said and the lady looked up from what she was doing.

“I’m sorry, Ms. Brace isn’t allowed to have visitors, please leave or I’ll call security,” she said and my eyes widened.

“Excuse me? That’s my sister, I want to see her!” I growled and the lady looked back up towards me.

“Well too bad little girl, she’s not allowed to have visitors,” she said and then picked up her phone, “Leave, or I’ll call security.”

“I’m not going anywhere, I’m seeing my sister-“

“Becca?” I heard and turned my head to see Sidney walking towards me.

“Sid? What are you doing here?”

“I heard what happened to Alyssa, I wanted to see if she was all right,” he said as he walked over, “Been a while.”

“Yeah, how is she?” I asked and Sidney sighed and shook his head, “That bad.”

“What’s going on here?” Sidney asked as he looked between me and the receptionist.

“She won’t let me go and see Alyssa,” I growled.

“Come on, call her Coach, he might have forgotten to tell them that you were coming,” Sidney said and I growled and pulled out my phone.

“I’ll call Milan, he’ll do something,” I said and dialed Milan’s number.

“Hello?” he sounded tired.

“Milan, I’m at the hospital, but they’re not letting me see her. Did your Coach not tell them that I was coming?”

“I told him to tell them, he might have forgotten, I’ll call him now,” he said and I sighed.

“My dad’s on his way too, make sure that he tells them,” I said and Sidney placed his hand on my shoulder.

“Will do,” Milan said and then hung up the phone.

After waiting five minutes, the phone rang, the receptionist frowned towards me after she hung up the phone and told me to go back there. I sighed and walked back with Sidney, we went into the room and I saw that Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang and James Neal were around her. I froze and they looked at me.

“You must be Becca,” James said and I nodded my head.

“Sid, where’s food?” Geno asked and Sidney groaned.

“Sorry, saw Becca and forgot to go get it, I’ll go now,” Sidney said and then walked back out of the room and my eyes widened when I saw Alyssa, saw the state that she was in.

“Geez, AJ, you really did it this time,” I breathed as I walked over towards her, placed my hands on her arm and tried not to cry.

“You just get here?” Kris asked and I nodded my head.

“We got here about three hours ago, took a jet up as soon as we saw the hit,” James said as he stood at the foot of her bed.

“I got here as fast as I could,” I said and the guys nodded their heads, “Has she been like this the whole time?”

“Yes,” Evgeni answered, he stood behind me and leaned against the wall.

Alyssa was lying motionless in the bed, she needed to have a breathing tube down her throat since her lung was punctured. I heard the oxygen machine giving her air and the beeping from the heart monitor making sure that she was still alive.

“Here,” I heard and turned to see that Evgeni was giving me a chair.

“Thanks,” I said and sat down and leaned against the bed holding Alyssa’s hand.

The door opened against and Sidney walked in with some food, “I got you something Becca.”

“I’m not hungry,” I said and he nodded his head and then handed me a coffee, “That I’ll take.”

Kris, James and Evgeni all walked over towards Sidney, took what looked to be sandwiches from the cafeteria. Kris was sitting on the windowsill looking outside, James sat on the floor by Kris, Evgeni was standing behind me and Sidney was sitting on the end of the bed.

After sitting in the rooms for a few hours, James ended up turning the TV on, and of course, he turned it to ESPN, wanting to know how Boston and Chicago’s game was doing.

It was the second intermission, they were talking about how well Game one and two were in Chicago, they were talking about how the boys were playing in the first and second period, the score so far three to two, Chicago in the lead but it could go either way because both teams were playing well.

“Well Mike, here’s something that has a lot of fans upset and a lot of NHL members unsure of what to do.”

“Yes Keith, that would be the Kane and Bract hit in last night’s game, here’s the clip,” the announcer said and then the clip from when Alyssa got hit appeared and I flinched in my seat.

“Boston fans are angry because nothing is being done about the hit, while the league members are confused as to was it a legal hit or was the hit planned.”


“She’s in the fuckin’ hospital! What do you think it was?!” I growled and the guys looked at me and then back at the screen.

“I know what you mean, it’s a tough decision. Brace did have the puck, so I understand how the league is not sure whether to suspend Kane or not.”

“Do you think he did it on purpose, Keith”

“Um, I’m not sure, the hit looked clean at first, but then- Can we pull up the clip and put it in slow motion?” the hit came and they freeze-framed how Kane was coming towards Alyssa, “Right here,” you could hear the voice but see the clip. He circle Kane’s skate and it showed how it was high off of the ground, “If I had to call this, I would saw at that moment, he was charging.”

“So you believe he planned it?”

“I believe he planned to hit her, I don’t believe that he planned to hit her that hard,” he said as the clip disappeared and the two announcers were back on the screen, “You gotta understand, this is the reason why they have separate women and men leagues.”


“Oh bullshit! She’s got more points than some of the top men in the league!” Kris yelled and I sighed and looked at the bed.

“But you have to admit that she’s done an amazing job with her NHL career?” Keith asked and Mike nodded his head.

“Oh, there’s no doubt about that, and I have no problem with her being in the league because she’s very talented, and we know that she can hold her own on the ice,” he said and they brought up the clip of Alyssa and the other woman in the league who plays for Toronto, “And let’s not forget about the time as a Capital,” he said and then the clip from when Washington was playing Pittsburgh, Alyssa was shoving Jordan Staal and then punched Sidney, “She’s a brave girl.”

“She’s the Queen of the NHL.”


“Turn it off,” Sidney muttered as he looked towards me and saw how I was close to tears.

“Sorry,” James breathed and hit the power button on the remote.

“Why’d she hit you?” I asked Sidney and the guys smirked and chuckled a little. Sidney smirked and shook his head, “Did I miss something?”

“Staal was bothering her and she told me to make sure that he stayed away or she was going to kick his ass,” Sidney said and I smirked because that is something that my sister would say, “He said something to her on the ice and that happened, when I went to stop it, she turned around and slugged me.”

“She gave Sid a black eye too,” Evgeni chuckled and I smiled and nodded my head.

“She’s going to be all right, Becca,” Sidney said and I sighed and looked at Alyssa.

“I hope so.”

-Milan-
Boston lost Game three, they were too busy trying to smash heads than make the puck hit the back of the Chicago net. Chicago was on a powerplay for most of the whole game, we lost in overtime, the final score being four to three.

We were back in the locker room, Coach was lecturing us about stop getting revenge and start wanting to win the cup. I sighed as I finished getting my gear off, showered, changed and wanted to leave because I wanted to head home.

After an hour, I was finally able to leave. I headed home and was greeted by an excited Duke, Rebecca asked me to watch him and I picked him up when I got home from Chicago before.

“Hey boy, come on, let’s see how your Mommy’s doing,” I said as I collapsed onto the couch, loosened my tied and dialed Rebecca’s number.

“Hey Milan,” Rebecca said.

“How is she?”

“Still the same,” she said and I sighed, “Better than being worse.”

“True.”