Sequel: Pursuit of Happiness

The Ice Queen

086:

Chapter Eighty Six
-Milan-
Preseason was over, we did really well, out of seven games we only lost one. We were two weeks into the regular season and we were still doing well, losing only two of the seven games. Alyssa still wasn’t back and she was getting frustrated, everyone could see that.

It was the middle of October and Doc was telling Alyssa that if she just kept up with what she’s been doing, she’ll be back on the ice by the end of the month. Next week she was scheduled to actually start practicing with the team, since we had new players and she doesn’t know their skills, everyone was worried on how this was going to go down.

It was Monday, October 21st, two days since our last game and two days until our next. The boys and I had just finished practice when I got a text from Alyssa, she was telling me that there was an issue at her apartment and that she needed help.

‘…Shit, is it her mom again?!...’ I thought as I stared at the text, not knowing if I should text her back or just rush right over there.

“Looch!” I heard and snapped my head up to see Tuukka standing there, “You all right man? I’ve been callin’ ya for a few minutes.”

“Uh, sorry-“

“You ok?” he asked again.

“I think ‘Lyssa’s in trouble,” I said and he looked at me confused.

“Again?” I heard and saw Brad walking over, “What is it?” he asked and I showed him the text, “Shit, it’s probably her mom again!”

“I gotta go,” I said and then heard Brad say that he was coming too. With Nathan and Tyler gone, our little gang just felt weird. Tyler was traded to the Dallas Stars back in July, and Nathan’s contract ended, I guess the Bruins weren’t offering him enough, so he took a deal with the Blue Jackets, which really bummed Alyssa and I out, because Nathan was our closest friend.

I got into my car and drove to Alyssa’s apartment, Brad was behind me and Tuukka was in his passenger seat, claiming that he never was able to get in on the drama when it came to Alyssa and her parents. I pulled into her apartment garage and ran towards the door, using the code and key that Alyssa gave me to get into her place.

“Red?” Brad called but there was no reply.

We walked into her apartment and saw things knocked over and a lap smashed, I heard Duke barking and followed the noise to see that he was locked in the guest bedroom that was off of the kitchen. I looked at the mess of the apartment and sighed. Rebecca left, she moved to Dallas with Tyler, so Alyssa was here by herself, she was debating on selling in and just moving in with me since she was at my place most of the time anyways.

I walked through the apartment confused, ‘…Where is she?...’ I thought as I headed upstairs towards her bedroom. See that the bedroom door was cracked and I heard movement inside the room. I clenched my fists, pressed my back against the wall and walked towards the room, placing my hand on the door and slowly pressing on it. I snuck my head into the room and saw someone walking around the room, their back was to me, they were looking at something, or for something.

“Yo Looch! You find her?!” I heard Brad yell and I opened the door and the person jumped around.

“Mr. Brace?” I asked confused when I saw Alyssa’s dad standing there. He took a deep breath and placed his hand over his heart, “What are you doing here?”

“I got a text from Alyssa that her mom was harassing her again,” he said and I walked over towards him.

“Looch?!” I heard Brad call.

“Up here!” I yelled and stood in front of Mr. Brace, “When did you get here?”

“About ten minutes ago,” he said and I sighed, “What are you doing here?”

“Looch!” Tuukka called as he appeared in the doorway, “Wha- Oh, hi.”

“Mr. B, what are you doing here?” Brad asked as the two of them walked into the room.

“Alyssa’s in trouble,” I said and sat on the end of her bed.

“Her mom?” Brad asked and I nodded my head, “Perfect.”

“We gotta call Coach,” Tuukka said and I sighed and pulled out my phone.

‘…Let me try her phone…’ I thought as I pressed Alyssa’s name in my contacts and waited for it to ring. When I heard Alyssa’s ring tone going off in her bedroom somewhere, I was really worried now. Brad and Tuukka were looking around the room, I stood up and got on my knees, finding that the noise was coming from under the bed, “Alyssa?” I called, hoping that she would be there, but she wasn’t, just her phone. I reached for it and pulled it out from under the bed to see that the screen was cracked and that there was some blood on it, ‘…Shit…’

“She’s gone too far this time!” Mr. Brace growled as he grabbed his phone and pushed some buttons.

“What are you doing?” Brad asked.

“Calling the police!”

“No!” we all said and he looked at us shocked.

“Look, Alyssa’s on her last strike because of her mom, its bad enough we have to call Coach, but if we involve anyone else, Coach will kick her off the team!” Brad said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“She’ll kill us if that happens,” Tuukka muttered.

“She’ll be killed if we don’t do something!” Mr. Brace growled and I nodded my head.

“Marshy, call Coach and let him in on what happened,” I said and Brad nodded his head, “Tuuk, call some guys, tell them what happened, ask if they’ll help look for her. We need to keep this away from the media, so we have to find her on our own.”

“Can we do that?” Mr. Brace asked.

“We’re going to try.”

-Alyssa-
My head was pounding and when I opened my eyes that whole room was spinning. I got my vision on right and pushed myself up, I was lying on the ground, ‘…Where am I?...’ I thought as I looked around to see that I was in some sort of bedroom that looked like it was designed for a little girl.

I tried to stand up but found that my hands were cuffed together and then there were a set of chains that were attached to the bed that I was lying on. I ground and stood up as much as I could, moving over towards the window and looking out to see that I was still in the city, looked to be the more run down area of Boston.

I heard footsteps coming towards the room and jumped back on the bed and snapped my eyes closed, pretending that I still hadn’t woken up yet. Keys jingling were heard outside the bedroom and the door was opened, I was locked in some bedroom. There was a sighed and I opened my eye just the slightest to see that it was the big man from Brad’s apartment months ago, the man who broke into the Garden and attacked my teammates, the man that was claiming to be my birth father. I mentally cursed and wished that everything that happened before I had woken up was just some sort of a bad dream.

I had come home from grocery shopping; I didn’t need much since I planned on staying at Milan’s. When I was heading for the door from the garage, my mom came out of nowhere and tried to attack me, I pushed her away and threatened to call security. When I made it to the elevator, I texted my dad, he had just recently moved to Boston, and told him that mom was at it again. I got to my apartment, wasn’t even home five minutes before Duke was barking and I was getting jumped from behind, I had no clue how the person got into my apartment. I managed to stab my heel into the person’s foot and hurried away, running up the stairs and to my room. I texted Milan saying I needed help and was about to call the police when my bedroom door was kicked open and I saw a big man in a ski mask, I don’t know if it was because I was scared or what, but it didn’t register who this person was at the time. When I tried to finish the last number and hit call, I was punched in the face and my phone was knocked out of my hands. I felt blood coming from my mouth and looked up only to have a cloth being thrown over my mouth. I tried to fight, but I found myself slowly losing consciousness and then everything went black.

“When is the brat gunna wake up?” I heard the man growl.

“She should be up soon, how much chloroform did you use?”

‘…Mom…’ I growled as I heard that voice, ‘…That’s it, I’m done playing around!...’

“How much money do you think we can get off of them for her?” he asked and I was trying to listen in on their plan.

‘…Off of who?...’ I thought, wanting to know more information before I acted.

“Get the camera, we’ll send it to her precious team, they’ll be sure to give us a ransom then,” he gave away the answer, didn’t take him long.

‘…So, they think that Coach will give them money to get me back, that’s why they kidnapped me…’ I concluded, ‘…Wonder who came up with that?...’

“What are you going to say?” mom asked.

“Just go with the flow, baby,” he chuckled and I wanted to gag.

‘…Coach is so gunna kick me off the team after this shit…’