Status: Short story||Completed

Sagikkun

Mend

Elise sat vigilant beside Junsu's bed, the stark white blending with his bleached skin. His hand was cold and clammy in hers. Elise watched his chest rise and fall unevenly, aqua eyes bloodshot and constantly on the verge of tears.

The door opened, Jaejoong and Yoochun slipping in. Yoochun quickly went to his girlfriend, laying his hands on her shoulders and massaging gently.

“The doctor says he's going to be okay,” he reassured her. “We found him just in time.”

“This...this is all my fault.” The words left Elise's lips as a croak. “I—I shouldn't have—”

“Elise, you had a good reason to leave him,” Jaejoong responded. “You do not need to blame yourself for this in any way.”

“I should have done something though,” she argued quietly. “I shouldn't have shoved him out of my life like that. I—I should have...I should have done something.” Tears poured freely down her cheeks and Yoochun wrapped his arms around her shoulders, hugging her tightly to him.

“Stop,” he whispered into her ear. “None of this is your fault. So stop thinking it is.” He slid a chair next to her's so she could lean on his shoulder, her tears staining his jacket. “Everything's going to be okay.”



Junsu's eyes flickered open before clenching close. The light was blinding upon his orbs. Then, there was the feeling of his hand in another's. A very familiar, warm hand that was tight on his. Without thinking, he found comfort in the squeeze and returned it.

“Junsu?” Her beautiful, angelic voice met his ears. Unable to speak right away, he squeezed again and his eyes pried open. Her voice came again, urgent. Her face, rimmed with hair that reminded him of a halo, came into his blurred vision.

“Elise...”

“I'm here. Everything's fine.” Her warm hand caressed his icy cheek.

He attempted to speak further, but his tongue felt like lead. Suddenly, a nurse ushered Elise away and began asking questions. Questions Junsu could hardly answer. His vision returning, he looked past the nurse at Elise who looked pale and withered and afraid.

“Stay with me...please...” Elise was quick to return to his side, smiling sadly and reassuringly. Junsu licked his chapped lips, struggling to form words. “I'm sorry...For everything...”

“Its okay,” said Elise.

“No...”

“Junsu, just rest.” Her pink lips upturned in the sweetest of smiles, and he obeyed her gentle command.

Yoochun watched the scene from the doorway as Jaejoong watched his face closely. His eyebrows were furrowed from the concentrated frown as his eyes narrowed.

“She still loves him.”

“You think she stopped?”

“I hoped.”

Jaejoong sighed and leaned against the opposing side of the door frame. “They have too much of a connection—”

“Something I could never hope to have with her,” Yoochun murmured.

“I wouldn't say that...” his older went on, “but its going to take longer than a year for them to get over each other.”

“What if she never does get over him? Or what if Junsu never gets over her?”

“Then, its not supposed to work out the way we want it to.”



The two beings sat quietly across from each other, eyes set on the other's frame. There was no one else in the apartment to bother them. No one else to witness the release of tension in the air when Elise finally spoke.

“You know I don't want to shove you out of my life, right?”

“Of course.” The smile that beamed across Junsu's face made Elise's heart lift. “I think this is for the best.”

Elise cleared her throat before speaking a firm, “so do I.” However, behind the sure tone was a flicker of sorrow in her blue orbs.

Junsu looked up at her, fully putting his gaze upon her. “I'm happy for you and Yoochun-hyung,” he said, managing a smile to prove it. “You two seem...really happy together.”

“We are,” agreed Elise, nodding slightly. “He's been really good for me.”

Junsu nodded, his eyes slightly clouded over. “I hope he continues to treat you better than I did.” His words stung with sincerity.

On instinct, Elise reached out and took his hand in hers, squeezing it tightly. “You got into a bad place,” she justified. “And I was of no help in getting you out.”

“You shouldn't have had to help me,” said Junsu. “I shouldn't have even been in that hole in the first place. But I was, and I'm sorry for all I did to you. I never meant any of it.” Elise opened her mouth, but he continued. “I know my apologies are never going to make up for it, but I just want you to know how much it hurts me to look back on all of that. What I did to you...I can hardly live with it.”

Elise shown a comforting smile. “I know and I forgive you.” She looked at her watch and sighed. “Looks like time's up. We better get you to that interview. Yoochun and Jaejoong will be waiting.” She rose from her seat and Junsu from his.

Junsu opened his arms and without word, Elise fell into the familiar, comforting embrace. She wrapped her arms around his neck, so glad that he couldn't see the tears that leaked past her eyes. As much as they both wanted things to work between them, they could never go back to what they were. It was time to move on. Yoochun had picked up the pieces of Elise and sewn them back together. However, there would always be an empty place where Junsu belonged.

For Junsu, it was the same. He was sober again, had told Marisol goodbye, and was left with an empty apartment and an empty heart. He just wanted Elise to be happy and she was with Yoochun. So it was time to let go—for the both of them.

And that's what they did. After what seemed like forever, they finally released each other, hiding the tear-reddened eyes from each other as they masked it with smiles. Her smile so pure and perfect.

Unable to control himself, Junsu rested his palms on her cheeks and kissed her. And she kissed him, passion radiating to feel the closeness of the other.

Just one last time.
♠ ♠ ♠
The end.

Thinking about it, I wouldn't go back to Junsu if I had been Elise. So...that's where it ends. Thank you everyone for reading this little bit of Junsu love I had to write. I appreciate it. <3

Special thanks to:
aleumdaunn.
Manbear-n'-Me!