Flies Don't Flutter In Rain

Flies Can Smell

The flies were slowly migrating and fluttering around his body. A fly landed right on his closed left eye before I glanced away. I couldn’t stand the sight of bugs, but I could stand it even less on top of flesh. My left eye started to twitch. I looked around anywhere but at the body that lay alongside me. There wasn’t much of a view change from the one I had for the last week. We still were located in the alley behind the liquor store, where rats and other homeless people made frequent visits. It was horrible, but still a step up from my other homes.

I could hear a slight rustling and squeak coming from the right, further down the alleyway. I didn’t need to bring my head further out the box to know what it was. I guess the rats finally smelt the decay lifting off of his body. Hopefully, they would eat enough of him so nothing big would remain. I couldn’t bury him, not without money or strength, so that was the next best thing. It would be a stench that would stick to my clothes for a while, but not like I was never covered in decay before. I slightly smiled to myself. The men won’t look my way for a while if the mist of decay surrounds me. They won’t find me appealing enough to touch me for the moment.

The smile disappeared as quickly as it came. The men were the least of my problems. I glanced back over to the body, and then looked back at the graffiti covered wall in front of me. I couldn’t stay here, it wouldn’t be possible. We were already overstaying our welcome, just by how many police sirens started to wail over the neighborhood. The less I stayed, the better off I was. But, this time he wouldn’t be traveling with me.

I glanced up towards the sky, hoping it looked gray. Gray meant sorrow, and possible chance of rain. I need rain as much as I need the man lying next to me. Rain could cover my tears from the world, as well as he could. I sneer at the clear blue sky. It’s just like heaven to not open its’ gates for him. He undoubtedly wouldn’t have liked the place anyway, it had too much white. We became too accustomed to black, brown, and dark red.

The sound waves of sirens began to wash over the streets again. From how loud it was, it couldn’t have been more than a few blocks away. Adrenalin started pulsing over my body, as if my mind was ready for war. I began to crouch low to the ground, without thinking. The half-eaten body laid out the corner of my peripheral vision. I grimaced, now was not the time for fighting.

I needed to run.

But I didn’t want to, and I shouldn’t have to make this choice. I wasn’t ready to grow up yet. I begin to shake my head rapidly while bringing my hands up to my head to grasp my hair. Maybe the pain from my hair ripping from my skull could lessen me having to make a decision. I didn’t want to leave him, even though his body was half way gone now. But, I knew I had to. I had to find the answer we were looking for, or everything would amount to nothing.

Rain should pour down upon us at this very moment, but it doesn’t. And I can’t scream the pain out that would give my location away. So I bite the pallets over my tongue until the blood drips from my lips unto the dirty pavement. I take my right hand that is still grip tight in my hair, and run my fingers swiftly through the pool of blood. I leave a message for the ones that will possibly come after me.

I brace myself, and then spring up. I begin to run towards the opening to the street, glancing back only once to see his body once more. I had to see my father one more time, before the end is near.