‹ Prequel: Northern Downpour

Waking Up in Vegas

07

Haley sighed as she sat with Kevin in the car. The inquisition at dinner hadn't exactly made her feel welcome into the family. She knew that Pia had been trying to make her feel welcome, even if they were skeptical. The whole thing made her totally not anticipate her own family. She didn't even know where to begin. They would be the most upset that she hid this from them.

"I don't want to tell my family." Haley blurted out, catching Kevin off guard as he was driving.

Kevin was quiet as he thought carefully about his response, "I know you don't, but perhaps it might be if you held off on telling your parents." Kevin said as he turned off the main road, following the car in front of him.

The truth was, Kevin had to attend this party at Jake and Donna's house. It was their yearly party and, well, it didn't seem right to not bring Haley— After all, she was his wife now. "Where are we?" Haley asked, looking out the window as Kevin drove down the long driveway that was surrounded by trees.

"Jake and Donna's compound." Kevin said, "Uh, for the Burton party."

Haley looked at Kevin a bit incredulously, "I know you didn't ask me to come out just for this?" Haley said angrily as Kevin parked the car.

Kevin looked at her a bit shyly, "Kinda." he said quietly, "I just didn't think it was fair for you to stay back in California while I'm here partying." Kevin meant well, he just should have told Haley sooner than in the parking lot.

"So you drag me out to Vermont to meet your parents and to go through an inquisition just so you can drag me to a party that I don't even want to go to." Haley was upset. She turned down job interviews for this trip and felt like she'd really been duped. She hated it.

Kevin frowned, "I'm sorry. I—" Kevin paused, "I do kind of have to be here." Kevin said, "I guess I should have told you about the party before we came."

Haley turned to Kevin as she got out of the car, "Yeah, yeah you should have Kevin. I don't even want to be here and yet, here I am because you lied to me."

"I didn't lie to you."

Haley rolled her eyes, "Okay, so you didn't tell me the whole truth. What's the difference?" Haley slammed Kevin's car door closed as she stomped off through the parking lot on the grounds, heading for the party without Kevin.

He, of all people, knew how much she didn't want to party. She tried to leave this lifestyle and, well, when Kevin had come back into her life, she couldn't escape it. She hated this because this lifestyle and the parties that went with it only led to trouble and she had had enough trouble for a lifetime. Haley just wanted to have a "normal" life. Was that too much to ask for?

"Hey!" A voice called, a hand reaching out to touch Haley's shoulder as she angrily passed through the crowd of people that were already there. "Where's your old man?" Jack asked Haley as she stood and looked at him.

Haley stopped to look around and, realizing she was no longer storming away from Kevin in the middle of a parking lot. "H-Hi." Haley said shocked that Jack was standing here in front of her. She laughed nervously and gave her friend a hug, "I, I don't know, he.." Haley sighed, "he kind of brought me here under false pretenses so I stormed away when he parked the car." She pushed a hand through her hair.

Jack frowned, "I'm sure he meant all the best Haley." He said, putting an arm around Haley and dragging her in to the circle of people, "Can I get you a drink?" he offered.

Haley bit her lip, "No, I'll find a water later. Thanks though." She said, looking up at Jack. "I haven't really drank since Vegas and well, I'm sure we all know what happened there."

A voice in the circle spoke up, "What happened in Vegas?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: A Party Song (The Walk Of Shame) by All Time Low