Status: on-going

Lightning in a bottle

Back Home

I turn off my phone as the plane lands to Manila. I missed it. After years of living in Arizona, Its impossible not to miss Manila, even though we come home for holidays and summers, I still sought-after its surroundings, busy streets and of course riding jeepneys, there’s no jeepneys in Arizona so I guess I have the right to miss it.

I saw my cousin Sandy after I got my things at the luggage counter, waiting impatiently in one of the benches at the arrival area. She’s celebrating her 18th birthday on July 29, which is why I’m spending a one week vacation here in Manila. I can’t miss my favorite cousin’s special day.
I approach her, and then she suddenly jumped on me and hugged me so tight that I can’t breathe.

“Get off me Sandy, I can’t breathe” I told her.

“Oh! Sorry. I’m just happy to see you again Cassie” She squealed.

“I see. Why are you here though? You’re supposed to be in school! It’s Tuesday!” I asked her, half yelling.

“Come on Cassie, one day of skipping school won’t hurt me right? Besides I want to be there when my favorite cousin arrives”

“Oooooh. I’m flattered. Ha Ha” I teased her, knowing she’s short tempered.
“Shut up. We can keep up with our lives later. Mom’s waiting for us in the parking lot. You know how impatient and short tempered she is”

“Says the one who’s not impatient and short tempered” I know she’s starting to get annoyed. But hey, I just missed her, I don’t have someone to annoy in Arizona because I don’t have a lot of friends. Probably because of my weird music taste, which is classical music.

I instantly smelled the after rain odor the moment we came out of the air-conditioned airport. It’s the start of rainy season here, so it doesn’t really surprises me. We continue to walk in pavements while the sun shines not so brightly in the sky. When we reached the parking lot, I saw Aunt Lerma leaning on the hood of the car looking bored.

Aunt Lerma’s face light up when she saw me, she literally run to me and hug me. Not the gentle kind of hug, but the super-tight-hug-you’ll-run-out-of-breath kind of hug. After almost 5 minutes of the deathly hug, she slowly pulled away.

“Awww. Look at you Cassie, you’ve grown so much in the past few months” She told me. Isn’t funny when your relatives tell you this? even though it’s only six months since they’ve last seen you.

“Thanks Aunt Lerma” I told her.

“Mom! It’s only 6 months when you last seen her. How can someone grew so much in last 6 months?” see? Even Sandy knew this.
Aunt Lerma ignored her, and grab my luggage to put in the compartment of the car.

“You don’t have to do that Aunt Lerma, I can put it there myself” I protested.
“Oh please Cassie, until now you’re still uncomfortable with me?” she laughed. Its not that I’m not comfortable, it’s just that I’m not used to people doing things for me.
We piled into the car. Aunt Lerma driving, Sandy and me at the backseat. We drove in silence, everyone is lost in their own thoughts as if trying to solve something until Sandy broke the silence and grin excitedly at me.

“Uhm, why are you grinning Sandy?” I asked in confusion.
She ignored me and she looked at Aunt Lerma through the rearview mirror. Oh god, this girl has something in her mind which I’m sure is not that good. I thought.
“Mom, can Cassie come with me at the concert?” she asked Aunt Lerma batting her lashes hoping her mom would say yes.
“Of course, you wouldn’t want to leave her with nothing to do in the house right” what? What are they talking about?
“Whoa! What are you talking about Sandy? What concert? Is it some kind of Mozart concert?” I asked her in obvious confusion.
“Like duh. It’s already 21st Century. Who still listens to Mozart?”
“Uhh? Me?”
“Get over your classical music Cas, It’s not the latest trend now. We are going to a pop/punk/rock concert, The Summer Set will play at the concert, and they’re like the best band you’ll ever see, aside from The Maine of course.” She stated with obvious glee, eyes twinkling, and a small smile playing on her lips, as if she’s imagining something or someone kissing her. Whoever this band is I’m sure their fans are as dreamy as Sandy when they heard them sing.

“No offense Sandy, but I’m not really interested in punk/rock music, all they do is scream the words and mutter some swear words. Seriously Sandy? You call that music?” I told her, slightly annoyed.
“Not all bands scream and cuss Cassie. Please Cassie? Just come with me, it won’t hurt, I promised. Please? For me? It’s my birthday? You won’t regret it. Promise!” She said. Pouting like a puppy and batting her lashes at me.

“Okay okay. Stop pouting and batting your lashes, it’s annoying.” I surrendered. Please don’t make me regret my decision. I spoke to God in my mind.
“Now that you girls solved your problem, would you like me to pull over to the nearest coffee shop and have some coffee and breakfast?”

“Sure!” we answered in unison. One of the things Sandy and I like to enjoy is having coffee and talk about nothing in particular.

After 15 minutes of driving, we pulled over at a Starbucks and get off the car. As soon as we enter the café, the strong aroma of coffee immediately filled my nose and my mouth started to water, craving for a Peppermint Mocha Frapuccino.

“What do you want girls?” Aunt Lerma asked interrupting my thoughts.
“I’ll pay for mine Aunt Lerma. I’ll have Peppermint Mocha Frapuccino and a cinnamon swirl”
“Are you sure honey?” I nodded. “Okay then, What about you Sandy?
“I’ll have Double Chocolaty Chip Frap, a blueberry muffin, cinnamon swirl and chocolate croissant” She ordered.
“Wow Sandy. You eat like a pig!” She glared at me and I just laughed.
we paid for our order and we sat in the corner part of the café and wait for our coffees to be served.
After we ate our breakfast, we went home and I unpack my things. Me and Sandy decided to share a room since her bed is big that even 3 people can sleep in it. We sat on her bed and started keeping up with our lives, talking about random things.

“Sandy, when is this concert you’re coming to?”
“26th. 8:00pm.” She answered without looking at me. Her eyes still glued to the screen of her laptop, where a bunch of photos of dudes are displayed. Maybe they were the band or bands she’s obsessing with.
“Uhm, Sandy, tell me, why do you love that band? What do you call it? The Bummer Set?” I asked her.
She started laughing hysterically, I narrowed my eyes in confusion. “Why are you laughing?
“Its not The Bummer Set Cas, It’s the Summer Set” emphasizing the word The Summer Set. I rolled my eyes. “The Summer Set consists of 4 hot boys and a cute girl, namely Brian Dales for vocals, Stephen Gomez for bass guitar, Josh Montgomery for guitar also, John Gomez for back up vocals and guitar and the only girl in the group Jess Bowen for drums.” She explained.
“So?”
“They make good songs, and interact with their fans well. They changed lives through their music” she said, I bet she’s starting to get annoyed.
“and?” I don’t know if I’m still curious or I’m just taunting her.
She sighed. “Even though I lost my voice trying to explain it to you, you won’t understand why I love them because you won’t listen to their music”

“I’m sorry. They just don’t interest me” I look at the walls of her room suddenly realizing there are a lot of posters glued to her wall. She’s not this obsessed with bands the last time I had vacation here. I fixed my eyes to the poster of The Summer Set. They are beautiful people. But I don’t know why I should listen to their music. I’m contented with classical music.
♠ ♠ ♠
There's the first chapter. :)))
I know this is a bit cliche but please be patient.