‹ Prequel: Roots Beneath Ideals
Status: New chapter every monday

A Flair for the Dramatic

Baggage

I had butterflies swimming in my stomach as Mike and I waited patiently at baggage claim for Keri. Ever since she left for school our relationship was never the same. The cheating and multiple break ups didn’t help, but now she was coming home for the summer and I wanted nothing but to make everything right again. I’ve tried dating other girls and some of them were great I could marry them, but none of them came close to what Keri and I had. I hope that we can work things out while she’s home and pick up where we left off again. Two years without her was more than enough.
Finally we saw her coming down the escalator, she was so beautiful. She kept her light brown hair and had it grow out more. Even from afar I could see she was wearing my lucky pick around her neck that I had given her. Everything about her was the same but yet so different. She looked so happy and full of life, I wanted to be a part of that again. Once Keri spotted Mike and I her eyes lit up so much they could have begun to sparkle. We welcomed her with a full embrace.

“Ker Bear!” Mike yelled taking Keri out of my arms and whirling her around.

Keri laughed that same beautiful laugh it was almost like she was singing.

“Michael, I’ve missed you sooo much! We have so much catching up to do, you have to tell me about every girl you’ve been with while I was away.”

“Don’t worry we have all summer for all of my stories.”

Mike placed Keri down and she turned to me. I knew what she was thinking I could see it in her eyes. The same look she gave me right before leaving two years ago. I wanted to wrap my arms around her and taste her soft lips and never let go again. Ever. No matter how hard she kicked and punched, I didn’t want to lose her again.

“Are you just going to stare at me or are you going to say hi?” She asked with a playful smile.

A smile tugged at my face and I pulled Keri for a full embrace. I hugged her tight and she return my embrace with the same intensity.

“God I’ve missed you.” I said low enough so only the two of us heard what I said.

“Me too,” Keri said hugging me tighter.

I knew it. I knew she still loved me. We were going to make this work.

A man cleared his throat to which Keri pulled away and stood by his side.

“Guys I would like for you to meet my boyfriend, Aaron. Aaron this is my best friends, Mike and Vic.”

Mike gave me a concerning side glance, but I ignored him as my world shattered.

He extended his hand to Mike first, “It’s nice to finally meet the both of you. Keri has told me plenty.”

“Nice to meet you too man, but I can’t really say the same..” Mike trailed.

“That seems to be a habit of hers.” I said. “It’s nice to meet you also. Welcome to sunny California.”

“Thank you. Um I think our bags should be coming soon.”

“Yes, let’s go look.” Keri said turning towards the carousel.

Mike quickly pulled Keri to the side leaving Aaron and I alone. The guy was tall and really good looking, I had to give him that. But what Keri saw in him, I certainly don’t see.

“So how did you and Keri meet?” I asked.

“At school, she was walking around like a lost puppy her first day. I helped her and we were in a few classes together.”

“Oh so you’re also going to school for law?”

“Yeah.”

“Anything else you do?”

“I play for the school’s basketball team.”

That could be a reason why Keri was with this guy.

We stood waiting for the bags quietly then. I spotted Keri’s purple bag full of band and sports stickers. I definitely thought she would have gotten rid of it, but I guess not. Too many good memories in that bag. Both Aaron and I grabbed for it at the same time.

“I got this.” I said.

“No it’s alright.” Aaron responded, tugging at the bag.

“Really it’s okay, you have your own bag to worry about.” I said tugging back.

A hand reached in between the both of us and took Keri’s bag, “I’ll take that. We’ll meet you at the car.” Mike said before walking away.

I didn’t like this guy and I knew from then we wouldn’t get along. He also seemed like the type that makes you choose one or the other. And I can tell you from now Keri was going to choose me.
♠ ♠ ♠
New chapter, what did you guys think of the last one? Let me know.