Status: Hiatus

Obsessed With the Thought of You

A pirate's life for me

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me," our boys sing heartily as we sail the open ocean with the clear air brushing through our dishevelled hair and lightening our souls.

I look over at Dylan, our captain of the grand ol' ship the Gallow's Tears. He smiles at me as he stands on the quarter deck (the top deck) and watches his loyal men go about their daily duties.

"We pillage plunder, we rifle and loot. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho," the men carry on their energetic tune.

I look back down at the dead daisy chain I have sat on the floor in front of me. I sigh as I remember the last time we were on land and I was able to pick some fresh flowers. I poke at the heads of the flowers and watch the lifeless petals fall off. I look up again at the horizon and see nothing but water and sky.

"We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me."

I take a deep breath and try to smile but it falters as I watch some seagulls fly overhead and I wish I could have the freedom to go where I please like they do.

"We extort and pilfer, we filch and sack. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. Maraud and embezzle and even highjack. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho."

I hear the birds talk to each other and wonder what they might be saying or where they might be going. The wind blows my hair across my face as I turn to watch them fly away. I reach up and tuck my hair behind my ear and let out another sigh as I look back down at the flowers.

"Oh fair maiden, please don't sigh for we shall feel the solid sensation of ground underneath our feet soon," I hear in my ear and jump as I turn to Dylan to see him laughing at himself.

"Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me. We kindle and char and in flame and ignite."

"You scallywag," I scold him. "You frightened the life outta me."
"Sorry seawench," he laughs as he sits beside me.

"How many times must I tell you?" I say and nudge him with a playful smile.
"You like being called that," he smirks back.

"Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. We burn up the city, we're really a fright. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho."

"Keep it up and you'll soon join Davy Jones' Locker," I threaten his life, still playing and he wraps an arm around my shoulder. "But honestly, when will we reach land again?"

"We're rascals and scoundrels, we're villians and knaves. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. We're devils and black sheep, we're really bad eggs. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho."

"We don't need land to be happy do we lads?" He shouts to our men who look up and grin, showing off their horrid teeth.

"No sir!" One close to us shouts.
"Nah, Cap'n," another smiles. "Landlubbers reside there. Why would we want to associate with those yellow-bellies?"

"Aye," Dylan smirks before looking down at me. "Why would you wanna associate with those yellow-bellies huh Bones?" He asks me, using my 'pirate' name, and I pout as I hold up my daisy chain.

"We're beggars and blighters and ne'er do-well cads. Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads."

"My flowers have died," I tell him in a small voice and he sighs gently. He strokes my hair and kisses the side of my head before he nudges me to look at him.

"It shouldn't be more than a day or two," he smiles. "I'm sorry you get lonely out here Bones. But you don't find many piratesses these days," he offers me a smile.

"I know," I say and look at the horizon again. "I just wish that I had more to do around here. Have a hobby even."

"Drink up me 'earties, yo ho. Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me," Dylan and I join in to finish the song and the men all cheer afterwards.

"Bones there really isn’t much you can do around here. You're not strong enough for the heavy lifting and I'm not having you be a lookout in case you fall," he tells me.

"There is rope and all sorts up on the masts to make sure the lookout doesn’t fall," I counter. "But then I guess that would be a boring job."

"Exactly," Dylan says. "Well you cook every now and then. You like that."
"Yeah but cooking for so many is overwhelming so it's more a chore than fun," I reply.

"I'll tell you what. When we reach land I'll give you a big chunk of that booty we scavenged from our last voyage and you can go shopping and buy whatever your heart desires," he says.

I smile at him. "Dylan I don’t need objects to make me happy. I need companionship and don't laugh at me."

"I wouldn’t laugh at that Bones," he says and stands up. "Maybe next time we go we'll look for a girl you can bring for a friend."

"Dylan the only girls our men come into contact with when we get on land are whores," I say as I stand up too.

"Yeah well maybe that's a good thing," he grins. "She'd make a lotta money on the ship."
"Yeah but then she'd be too busy for me," I pout more.

He sighs and strokes my cheek. "We'll figure something out. I may have promised your brother just that I would take care of you but I promise you that I will also make sure you're happy."

"Thanks," I tell him with a meaningful smile. "So Captain Dylan the Disgruntled," I say with an exhale of air as I adorn a smile. "What do you want when we reach land?"

"Rum," he grins and wraps his arm around my shoulder again. "Rum and a woman to entertain Jordan here for a few hours so he will let me be."

As he finishes his sentence Jordan reaches the top of the stairs leading to the quarterdeck, where we are stood. "I thought you craved my company sir," Jordan smirks.

"Those who crave Cutthroat Charlie's company are either soft in the skull or looking for an early grave," Dylan replies and I shake my head smiling.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

"This necklace is nice Bones," Dylan says as we look around the market of a town we pulled up in not even half an hour ago. Most of the men have already run off to the local whore houses.

Captain Dylan and his first mate Jordan have stayed with me. They don't generally trust any of the crew to look after me when we walk around a new city. Once we've gotten to know the place they'll let one of the men walk with me.

We never really stay anywhere long enough for this to happen though. The boys made me promise that they could go see some ladies later and that I would stay at the bar. They said I had to swear on the Jolly Roger skull and crossbone that I wouldn't leave until they were with me to save me from danger.

Being that they didn't have to take me out at all and could have left me on the ship, with someone guarding me to make sure I didn’t escape, I did swear on the flag. They assured me that there are always some ladies not working at the bar so I would have someone to talk to.

However, the amount of stimulating conversation a prostitute has is debateable. Still, it's better than nothing. Dylan even promised me that we would stay parked here for the night so we could go for a picnic tomorrow. They really are good to me.

"It is pretty," I agree looking at the necklace Dylan is holding up to me.
"Do you want it?" He smiles.

"But I am spoilt enough as it is," I exclaim. "You treat me too often."
"Well I feel bad for dragging you around the world on that ship knowing that you're unhappy," he says.

"I told you objects won't make me happy," I say quietly as I turn to another market stall and look at the scarves they have.

"Yeah man," Jordan pretend scolds him. "She ain't materialistic, are ya Bones?"
"Nope," I smile at him as I hold up a scarf. "Does this suit me?"

"Everything does," they both say and I giggle at them.
"I'll take it," I tell the person running the stall and Dylan leans over me to hand the man some coins.

We thank him and begin to leave. "Thank you Dylan, this is beautiful," I say and I smile before looking back at the patterned material.

"Anytime," he says and I see that far-off look return to his eyes knowing that he is thinking about my brother, as he usually does when he is trying to make me happy. He thinks about his promise and worries whether he is fulfilling it well enough.

My smile falters as I remember the last time I spoke to my brother. I remember the pain he was in as he laid in front of us on the floor with a sword wound through his stomach. I remember my vision blurring with tears as I watched my only family left in the world die.

My brother, Aron, Dylan's former first mate, stood right by our captain as they battled with foes. He was loyal right to the end, right up until he was fatally slashed. As soon as it happened everything slowed down. Everything I saw after that was in slow motion. I remember hearing him scream out and I knew straight away that I had lost him.

The look on his face was of defeat and agony. I just knew it was over. My only brother, my only father-figure, my only parent-figure after ours had perished many years before. Dylan was just as crushed, losing his best and most faithful friend.

As Dylan cradled my brother's head and Jordan hugged me to his body tightly, Aron made only one request: that Dylan would take care of me for him. Dylan, of course, agreed and has been nothing less than 100% protective over me ever since.

He always was protective but it seems like now he is even more determined for nothing to happen to me because that would mean that he had let my brother down. They say there's no honour among thieves, but they obviously haven't met my friends.

We round a corner and look around the next street seeing pubs, more market stalls and seating areas. "Wanna go for a drink?" Dylan asks and Jordan grins giving him thumbs up.

"Well, well, well," we hear loudly behind us and my spine tingles as I recognise that voice immediately. "What do we have here? The rats of the sea."

"Watch your fucking mouth Skullcrack," Dylan spits as we look to see Matt smirking with Long Johnny Silver and Captain J. Bloodbath stood with him.

I sigh as I feel the tension build and the anticipation of an argument grow. I look over to see Jorel stand forward and look my boys up and down with a sneer. He then shoots his gaze at me and a scoff leaves his throat as he smirks. I frown as he looks back at Dylan.

"I thought I saw your poor excuse for a vessel in the port," Captain J says nodding his head towards the bank where all the boats and ships park up. "I'm surprised the Gallow's Tears hasn't fallen apart and is now lying at the bottom of the big blue."

"That ship is the most reliable man-made thing in this world Bloodbath," Dylan replies. "What about your piece of shit? Last I heard there was a hole the size of your momma's ass in the hull of the Undead Mercy."

Jorel chuckles and shakes his head. "You're more deluded than I thought Disgruntled. I still think it should be Dylan the Dickhead."

"Hey," Jordan speaks up. "Don't talk like that in front of the lady."
"But your captain can have a sailor's mouth?" George replies with a glare.

"They have the right to say whatever they like to me," I square up to George. "You dirty sea-skulkers, on the other hand, shouldn't even be privileged enough to be in the presence of a lady."

"I don't see no ladies," Matt quips.
"Shut up," Jorel reprimands him before turning to look at me. "I apologise," he tells me and grabs my hand.

I watch him closely, as do my boys, while he brings it to his face. I frown in confusion as he places his lips softly onto the back of my hand, never letting his eyes leave my own. I see a depth in his brown eyes that I have never been close enough to see before.

All of our past encounters have been short and spiteful. The boys and our crew never like to spend any more time than necessary with these people anyway. They are our rivals in the pirate world. We are both equally the most notorious and feared in our trade.

So naturally, we're enemies. The only thing holding us back from ruling the sea are these men and their crew. When my brother died, we suffered a great loss and they experienced a great gain. Aron helped us to be the strong, solid, unstoppable unit that we were.

Since he has gone, we are weaker. Our morale isn't as motivated as it was and our spirits are lower. We hide it in front of the crew. They miss our great leader too so to see the other leaders feeling the strain would be devastating. They would feel like we weren't as stable as we were.

After kissing my hand, he keeps his face close to it as he stares into my eyes for a few more moments before pulling away completely and letting my hand fall by my side. A small smile comes to his face before he looks back at Dylan.

"What are you doing here anyways?" He asks.
"Treatin' the lady to a day out," Dylan replies with venom in his voice. "But I guess you wouldn't know anything about gentlemanly ways."

"On the contrary," Jorel smirks. "The ladies love me."
"Yeah I bet they love you and then leave their germs and infections behind as you toss them to the streets," I mumble and he snaps his gaze towards me.

"I'm a perfect gentleman," he tells me in a low voice.
"Of course you are, Bloodbath," I reply sarcastically and he opens his mouth to respond before being interrupted by a voice behind him.

"Ahoy there. What trouble are you boys gettin' into now?" We hear before a girl walks up to stand beside them.

I look her over and I can't remember ever seeing her before. She looks normal; she's smiling brightly and generally looks friendly. I can't imagine why she might be with these scoundrels.

"Ever ditch me in a strange town like that again lads and I'll have your guts for garters. Savvy?" She says as she playfully glares at them.

"We were just mingling with the vermin," George smirks as he gestures towards us. "I don't think you've met them."

"No I haven't," she says and smiles at me before looking at the boys. I see her and Dylan's eyes lock. I look at his face to see him with the same questioning expression I had: wondering how she knows people like them.

"What makes them vermin?" She looks at George. "They seem pretty straight to me."
"Long Johnny Silver here has a man-crush on me," Jordan pipes up and I chuckle as she looks at him with widened eyes.

"You fuckin' wish Cutthroat," George scoffs. "Not even a seadog with cabin fever would go after you."

"How about we quit the insults and do the intros?" The girl interrupts.
"Yes," Jorel agrees and I look over to see him looking at me again.

I frown again and look at Dylan for reassurance but he is looking straight on at the girl. "I'm Captain Dylan the Disgruntled. Captain of the Gallow's Tears."

"Oh man seriously?" She gushes. "I've heard tales of that fine ship from when I was a small child."

"Fine ship? It ain't got a patch on the Undead Mercy," Matt says with pride and shooting the girl a glare. She shakes her head as she brushes his comment off and looks towards Jordan, the ladies always being the last to be introduced while men talk.

"I'm Cutthroat Charlie," he smiles. "You can guess my method of choice when dealin' with scallywags," he says as she smirks at his nickname.

"I'll remember to keep my neck away from your reach, should I ever test your temper," she replies and then beams at me.

"And this is Caroline Bones," Jorel says before I can and I look at him surprised that he even remembers me since we have never really spoken.

The boys have dealt with him on many occasions. But when the men go out for trouble I'm usually left back in a safe place so I never see much action or the enemies they come home telling me about.

"Where'd that name come from sweetheart?" She questions and Jorel speaks again before I can.

"The story on the sea has it that her smile can warm anyone, right down to the bones," he says.
"Is that so?" Ada looks back at me. "Well I'd sure like to see this endearing smile."

"I don't feel like smiling," I reply sulkily in a childish manner and some of the men laugh at me.

"No problem," she chuckles. "You frown is rather cute anyways."
"What's your name?" I blurt.

"Ada Knucks, please to meet ya," she sticks her hand out to me with a grin and I reluctantly take it in my own. "Ada Knucks, one hit and you're dust," she winks and I nod before looking back at Dylan.

"Please to meet your acquaintance," Dylan tells her and she smiles at him. "How on earth did you end up with these tyrants?"

"Oh, they're not tyrants," Ada says looking back at her crew. "They run a very fair ship. You should join us one evening for rum, some good, hearty food and sea shanties."

"I don't think that'll happen any time soon sweetheart," Matt says. "They aren't welcome."

"Sure they are," Ada glares at him. "Right Cap'n?"
"I wouldn't trust them not to try to scuttle our ship," he replies glaring at Dylan.

"I wouldn't waste my time tryin' to sink that garbage hunk of shit," Dylan laughs. "It's no threat to us. That would be a waste of energy and time."

"No threat?" George says with disbelief. "It’s the most feared ship on all seven of this world's seas. If you don't see that as a threat, then you really are as stupid as your old first mate."

I gasp as the insult directed at my brother stings my heart. "Thinkin' he could take on a dozen other pirates by himself. What a fool. He deserved what he got for being so fuckin' stupid," he goes on and my jaw clenches.

"Fuck you!" I scream and people in the market turn to look at us. The men give scowls to them and the people disperse or stop staring as they realise these men are pirates packing swords.
♠ ♠ ♠
I did accidentally delete this whole story. Don't ask me how, the answer is just embarrassing. Anyway, so this has all be re-posted. Sorry to all those who subscribed before and thanks for reading.