Infected

Chapter 3

Kyle Taylor

I parked the car in an empty parking space and turned off the ignition. I looked over to Iris who sat glumly collecting her things. "Iris, please don't worry about me. I'll be fine." I practically begged. She looked over at me. "Kyle, I hate it when you let your dad get to you. He's always doing something but you never tell me what. You keep me in the dark about everything about your personal life when you know everything about mine. You can trust me and you always tell me I can trust you. When are you going to start acting like it?" A small stab of guilt hit me in my chest but I pushed it away. She would never understand what my dad does and even if i wanted to tell her it's not like she would believe me. I looked her in the eye. "Iris, you have got to believe me when I say that I can't tell you to protect you." She sighed and her face hardened in irritation. "Kyle! I've heard that a million times! Please!" She said as her anger visibly grew. She was dying to know what really went on at home and I was dying to tell her. "Dammit, Iris! No, I can't tell you. It's just one of those things in life you have to accept." I snapped. A wave of hurt crossed over her soft features but she quickly hid it away. "Fine." She opened the car door and slammed it behind her. I yelled in my own frustration and hit the steering wheel. Iris did everything for me, she told me everything and she as always there to lift me up when I fall but I couldn't tell her. I brushed my hair back out of my eyes and leaned back into my seat. I needed to get out of my dad's house. I just needed to leave. I heard the bell ringing signifying that school was starting. All the other students rushed into the building quickly to get to class. I looked around for a minute before deciding I wasn't going to stay. I started the engine back up and ripped out of the parking lot towards my house. I squeezed the wheel tightly as the black top flew underneath my car. I pressed down on the gas pedal and shot forward. I weaved around the very few cars on the road until I hit my street. Without slowing down I turned the car sharply and flew down the dirt road. Trees flew pass me in a blur as my knuckles turned white as I squeezed the wheel again. I could see the gravel driveway ahead and the black mailbox with the word 'Taylor' stickered on the side. I slowed down a bit and turned into my drive way. It took me seconds to reach the house. I killed the engine and got out. I could hear screaming coming from somewhere inside the house. I walked up to the front door and swung it open. With doing so the scream became louder. I walked in and slammed the door shut behind me. "Kyle, is that you?" I heard dad ask. Anger pulsed through me as I aloud my frustration and stress build and feed my rage. I swung open his door to his office. He was sitting there with his glasses on studying a piece of paper. "I think I almost have a cure." He mumbled to me. "I don't care." I snarled walking towards him. He looked up at me startled. I stood in front of his desk with my hands balled into tight fists. "I'm going to kill them." I growled leaning down. He laughed. "Go ahead. I'll just find more. There are too many people out there willing to end their life." My hands started to shake and I tightened my fists. My fingernails were digging deeply into my palm and I could feel a small stream of blood run down my hand. "What do you get out of this?" I asked him. He looked up at me with a crooked smile. "Money, fame, respect. Isn't that what you want?" He asked. I closed my eye and looked down. "Wasn't it enough for you when you killed mom." I stood there and tried to calm my breathing in the silence. Dad didn't say anything for a moment. I cold hear my heart thumping in my ears. "I didn't kill her." He said quietly. I looked at him. Another wave of anger pumped through me. "What? You injected that guy with the disease! Then you left him in that room and told us it would be fine! But it wasn't! It spread faster through him then you thought! He killed her because of you!" I was screaming now and had started shaking again. "If it wasn't for you she wouldn't be dead! She would still be here right now by your side! She would be able to show you what you're doing to these innocent people! Your just killing them off!" I turned and stormed out of the room and to the back door. I opened it and looked at the people in the cage. Their skin was ashen and decaying as they stood staring at me. Teeth and bones littered the ground along with the horrible stench of old blood. Puss and some sort of black ooze leaked from their skin. Some of them started to come closer to the fence in hopes of reaching me. Sitting in the corner I noticed the boy form this morning. "Kyle?" He asked. His eyes were completely grey and there were welts on his arms. I stared at him for a moment. He stood and came closer to the fence. "Please, help me!" He cried out shoving one of his skinny arms through the chain linked fence. He started crying. "It hurts! There's pain everywhere! Please!" He cried out. I stood in complete horror at the young boy. "What are these people?" He asked. I gave a shaky sigh. "They are what normal people would call zombies."