Status: Slow But Steady Wins The Race

Forelsket

Fjorten

I’d successfully managed to avoid Seth yet again on Thursday. I knew I couldn’t keep this up though; we had a paper to write eventually and its deadline was quickly approaching. I just had so much on my mind, especially now that Annalie had decided to drag me to her mixer. I mean, I really didn’t see the appeal of these events. You pregame, drink more once you’re there, and either spend your night puking in the bathroom or with a guy you’ve probably never talked to grinding against your ass. Baffling.

It was Friday and I was aimlessly walking around campus. It was one of the last nice days in town before winter was sure to hit us hard and the light breeze felt amazing as it wrapped me in a blanket of 70-degree weather. I had my headphones in and was mulling again over the mixer: who was it with, and what would I even wear? Suddenly someone grabbed my arm and I spun around with such fervor that my iPod went crashing to the ground. I took a deep breath in, startled.

“Long time no talk, Princess.”

“Seth,” I breathed, my level of panic slightly dropping. “Why the hell would you just grab someone’s arm like that? What if they turned around and punched or pepper sprayed you?” His mossy green eyes were dancing with amusement.

“Well, since none of those things just happened, or have ever happened to me, I think I’m doing pretty well.” I rolled my eyes and turned my attention to my iPod. My ear buds pulled out from the audio jack and were lying at my feet, while the mp3 had gone flying a few inches away. As I bent down to grab the headphones, Seth followed suit, grabbing my iPod and offering it up to me. “I feel like we’re starting a new tradition here, Princess.”

“You really didn’t have to pick it up for me.” I mumbled, grabbing it from him. A group of tingly lightning bolts circulated my body as we, once again, brushed fingers. I looked up at him for the first time since I’d bent down to pick my things up. He was knelt down in front of me, close enough that I could feel his breath tickling my fringe. The breeze wafted his cologne into my nose as I studied him. He looked much the same as our last encounter; but his beanie was missing, revealing a disheveled mess of chocolate brown hair. His face was still adjourned with scruff and I noticed he was studying me in much the same way, eyes lingering over my face. He has really long eyelashes.

Seth cleared his throat, and I immediately shot back up to a standing position. “ I need to go.” I finally said, regaining my composure.

“Okay, now we’re definitely starting a trend.” I smoothed out my shirt and reattached my ear buds to my iPod. I could feel him still watching me. “Why are you avoiding me anyway?”

“I’m not,” I said, biting my lip as I tried to untangle the chords in my fingers. “I’ve been super busy and my life doesn’t revolve around you, get your ego in check.”

“Yeah okay.” I glanced up briefly to see the vague amusement on his face. “You can say whatever you want, but you know we have to write that paper eventually.”

“I know.” I was getting flustered; I really didn’t want to be talking to him. “Look I’d offer to write it tonight but I have a party to go to. Maybe later this weekend and then you can stay out of my hair for good.”

“A party, huh?”

“Yes, can I leave now?” I’d finally gotten my headphones untangled and was slowly putting them in my ears, to emphasize that I was going regardless of his answer.

He shrugged his shoulders. “I wasn’t holding a gun to your head to keep you here, Princess. Have fun at your party, maybe I’ll see you there.”

“I doubt it,” I scoffed as I resumed play on the song I’d been listening to before our altercation. “It’s invite only.”

I turned on my heels and started walking from the direction I’d came, brushing past Seth as I went. Something about that kid just brought out the worst of me, and I hated it. I didn’t like how his crooked grin made my blood boil or how his disgustingly juvenile nickname made me want to kick things like a child myself; and I especially couldn’t stand how adrenaline started pumping through my chest as soon as physical contact was made. What did that even mean? I clearly detested him, why couldn’t all of my senses seem to agree?

The walk back to my dorm wasn’t more than ten minutes, but I was so preoccupied with thoughts of Seth that I almost missed the building all together. When I got to the door I realized I didn’t have my I.D. card. “Oh fuck,” I murmured. I looked around, and saw someone walking to the vending machines inside. I knocked furiously to get their attention, and spent the walk to my room after they let me in wondering where my card could have possibly been.

“Keelyn, where have you been?” Annalie was once again residing on my bed, this time with hangers full of clothes accompanying her.

“Anna, I’m really starting to worry about how you’re getting in here without a key.”

“Who says I don’t have one?” My face dropped at her devilish grin and she rolled her eyes.

“Keels calm down and focus. The theme for our mixer tonight is cowboys and Indians so we need to start making our costumes ASAP.”

I pursed my lips. “Isn’t that cultural appropriation though? I don’t know if I—“

“Keelyn come on, it’s all in good fun. It’s a tradition. Just let go of all your social justice warring for one night.” I sighed, it was clear I wasn’t going to win this one. I gave in and began to sift through the garments on the bed. “Oh and one more thing.” I turned to look at her. I trailed my eyes from her giant grin to the bottle of rum in her hands, and couldn’t help but smile some myself. If I had to go to this godforsaken event at least I didn’t have to remember most of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long, university is killing me. Two more weeks!

Keelyn showing up drunk to a mixer? That sounds like the making of a pretty crazy night. Could her mystery guy make an appearance? Or Seth? I guess you'll just have to hang in there and see what happens!

Recommend/Comment/Subscribe!