Status: Slow But Steady Wins The Race

Forelsket

Seks

Since the houses on our campus weren’t provided by PHC (that’s Panhellinic Hall Council for those of you that have no idea about this kind of stuff like I definitely didn’t), they weren’t exactly the biggest. Or cleanest. But upon looking around at some of the people swaying with their solo cups, I realized we had bigger problems.

I looked to my side, and nudged Annalie. “Is this supposed to be a themed party?” She looked at me, expression blank, before she seemed to have an epiphany through her inebriated haze and visibly calmed. “Not to worry, party virgin, I’ve got us covered.” With a grin she pulled Gabby and I into the nearest bathroom and dug into her purse, pulling out three masks that looked like they came out of the bargain bin of a craft store. “It’s a masquerade party,” She used the term loosely—aside from the masks it looked like any other fraternity kegger filled with skimpy dresses and boat shoes. “I put these in my purse before we started drinking earlier so I wouldn’t forget. Here,” She shoved a shimmering blue and white feathered mask into my hands. “Put it on but don’t take it off or disclose your name for whatever reason. This makes our job tonight a thousand times easier. If the mission goes wrong for whatever reason they won’t know who we are and we can dougie on out of this joint never to be seen again!”

I had to admit her logic was pretty sound. I glanced at Gabby and we both shrugged and did as Anna had instructed. She beamed at us with flushed cheeks and cloudy eyes, clearly proud of herself. “Alright Keels, you’re up!”

I sighed reluctantly. They had practically pushed me out of the door and, stumbling on spilt liquid, I wobbled left into a room with strobes and a DJ. I tried to make my way through the sea of girls dancing in circles with their friends and guys trying to dance their way from one side of the room to the other.

‘Hey!” I turned around when I felt a hand on my shoulder. “Enjoying the party?”

I squinted in the dark of the room and yelled back a “what?” I saw the outline in front of me move in towards my ear.

“I said how are you enjoying the party?” He pulled back away a bit and I leaned in to reply.

“Oh, sorry! It’s actually my first house party so it’s uh, interesting!” He laughed a bit and smiled.

“Overwhelmed?”

I smiled back meekly. “Yeah, a little bit for sure.” He walked towards the doorway in front of us and motioned for me to follow him. My cheeks were flushed from the warmth of the liquor coursing it’s way through my body as I squeezed my way between sweaty bodies into the kitchen where the stranger had stopped.

“It’s a little quieter in here,” he explained. I nodded and looked around. Unsurprisingly for a house where a bunch of males resided, it wasn’t exactly clean. The counters were covered in a mixture of grim and spilt beer and the light in the ceiling was a dull flickering yellow.

“Nice place you got here,” I commented with a nod. He let out a short laugh and leaned back against the counter behind him.

“Well it’s not right now,” he admitted, “but after the pledges clean it tonight it’ll be a lot more hospitable.”

“Pledges? Oh, those are, uh, new members right?” My small-talk skills were rusty and I started thinking that maybe this plan wasn’t going to work after all.

“You’re a Gamma Delta Iota aren’t you?” I furrowed my brow and he smiled a little. “GDI, God Damn Independent.”

I shook my head. “Sorry I don’t—“

“It’s what we call people who aren’t part of Greek life.” I felt kind of embarrassed, now that he had explained it, it seemed like I should have gotten the joke right away.

“Oh! Well uh, I can’t imagine what could have possibly given that away.” I said sarcastically, rubbing the back of my head. We both laughed. He turned around and picked up two plastic cups.

“Here,” he handed one to me. “To your first taste of Greek life!” We had to have downed four or five Jell-O shots each before the tray was finally empty and I was really feeling the effects of the alcohol.

“So Stranger, how long have you been in Delta Chi?” I had finally taken the time to strain my eyes in the terrible lighting and get a good look at him. He was wearing a black mask that obstructed most of his face, but behind it I could clearly see tousled brown locks and light eyes—blue or green I couldn’t tell in the flickering light of the kitchen, but he seemed attractive enough with his olive complexion and tall frame.

“Since my freshman year, so uh this is my fourth and last year.” He looked down at his empty shot glass with a longing smile, as if his life over the last three years was playing inside of it. He cleared his throat and looked up at me, smiling. “Sorry, I just love all these guys a lot and it hasn’t really hit me yet that I have to say permanent goodbyes at the end of the year.”

“No don’t worry about it, I understand.” I paused. “Okay, well, maybe I don’t since I’m not in Greek life but I empathize with you.” He let out a chuckle as I struggled not to stumble over my slurring words.

“You’re very sweet,” he mused as he walked closer to me. “Would you tell me your name?” I opened my mouth to comply before Annalie’s words rang through my head. Put it on but don’t take it off or disclose your name for whatever reason.

“I could tell you, but where’s the fun in that? Isn’t that what masquerades are all about? Mystery?” I gestured with my hands to further illustrate my point. The boy in front of me reached to my side towards the counter I was leaning against and twirled a shot glass between his fingers before looking back down at me, his face substantially closer than before.

“I’ve never really been a fan of surprises, at least let me see your face so if I see you around campus I know who to ask to lunch?” I couldn’t tell if the heat overcoming my face or the rapidness of my heartbeat was alcohol or hormone induced. I parted my lips to reply but felt my words catch in my throat as he let go of the glass and rose his hand to brush a strand of fallen hair off out of my eyes. “Just a quick peek.” He murmured as he slipped a finger under the elastic string of my mask and began to pull it off of my face.With every centimeter the mask moved off of my face, his lips inched closer to mine.

Bu-dum.

His pores oozed a mix of alcohol, axe body spray and a long ago lit cigarette. It was musty and manly and strangely enticing.

Bu-dum bu-dum.

His breathe was hot on my lips as he became dangerously close and I was no longer worried about my face being revealed.

Bu-dum bu-dum bu-dum.

Did I want him to kiss me? Did I want to kiss him back?

Bu-dum bu-dum bu-dum bu-dum.

Oh god, I did.
♠ ♠ ♠
So uh, yeah, here's chapter 6!.....a year late?

Many apologies for my shady updating skills, but my junior year of college really drained me and I never had time to update. But it's summer vaycay again so here I am! I genuinely plan on finishing it this time y'all I swear, bare with me.

Comment, recommend and subscribe, my dears! I appreciate your dedication to my sub-par story!

xoxoxoxo Kimi