Status: Slow But Steady Wins The Race

Forelsket

Ni

“Keelyn this is so exciting,” Gabriella sprang up in her bed as I opened the door. I couldn’t help but smile a little bit. “Not that I’m all that surprised though, that guy was totally into you!” I shook my head bashfully.

“He was not.”

Blatantly ignoring my comment she continued. “This is so dreamy, like, I feel like the supporting actress in one of those young adult romance films.” I could almost see her eyes turning into hearts as she got lost further and further into her delusion.

Almost like clockwork, there was a rhythmic thud on the door just as I was about to sit. I shrugged my bag off my back and walked towards the door, barely dodging it as it flung open and Annalie stormed in. She slammed it behind it and the look on her face was nothing short of infuriated. I was surprised to say the least; this was a girl who seldom showed any kind of emotions that weren’t of the upbeat persuasion. She seemed to be collecting her thoughts as she aggressively paced the space between the beds.

“Something wrong?” I said it in a playful way, trying to break the growing tension. She stopped pacing and looked at me, her face flushed.

“How does he know your name.” It took me a second to process what she was talking about. She seemed to take my silence as an admission of guilt instead of a confession of bemusement. She stormed up to me and again asked, “How the hell does he know your name, Keelyn?”

I furrowed my brow and put my hands out. “Whoa whoa, what’s the big deal here Anna?”

She let out an exasperated sigh. “I told you not to tell anyone your name at that party.”

“I didn’t!” Did I?

“Oh really?” She mused. “Then how did an anonymous frat boy know it and announce it to the whole student body via Facebook, hm?” I really didn’t see what the huge deal was here. I didn’t remember telling anyone my name, but even if I had so what? I wasn’t the one in a sorority, or the one who had stolen the banner from the Delta Chi house so why was I getting the third degree. Anna had a knack for reading minds. “I’m your only friend in a sorority Keelyn, if he already knows your name, I’m sure he’s already lurked your Facebook profile too. Which means he could see mutual friends, and chances are since he and I are both in Greek life here, and this campus isn’t exactly huge in that department we’re friends with each other too.” She could tell I was struggling to follow. “Which means he probably knows I took the banner.”

“Anna calm down. Okay so on the off chance he knows you took it what’s the big deal?”

“Uh, well you know, besides the obvious petty theft, that means they’re going to know it was my sorority and they’ll probably find some way to sabotage us back which means I’m totally fucked when my sisters find out.”

I wanted to laugh at her. All of this seemed so melodramatic, but then so did the greek system in general. Would a bunch of guys really go out of their way to “sabotage” Anna’s chapter just because of something this dumb? And what was there even to sabotage, a dance? An overpriced dinner?

“If it’s such a big deal why don’t you just give it back and apologize?” I swear I could see steam coming out of her ears.

“Because my sisters already hung it up in the parlor room and I’m finally getting some kind of recognition. If I had to give it back I’d lose it all and then some.”

“No offense, Anna, but all of the politics of this greek thing seems exhausting.” There was no way I was going to get anywhere with her, clearly. She was seeing too much red and could barely form a reply.

“Just figure out who it is, okay? Find them and fix it.”

“What? Why do I have to fix it this was your idea anyway!”

‘Just do it!”

“How?”

“I don’t care! Just freaking do it alright?” And with that she was gone, leaving a baffled Gabriella and I to figure it out for ourselves.

“What just happened?” I looked over at Gabby and exhaled.

“If I knew I’d tell you.” I plopped down on my bed, pulling out my phone and rereading the Spotted post. I was baffled, I didn’t remember telling him my name at all. I’ll admit that there were a few things about that night that were fuzzy in retrospect but it wasn’t like I’d completely blacked out, had I?

“Look up their Facebook page and go through people who like it.” It was starting to get dark outside and Gabby was trying to help me solve Annalie’s crisis. Don’t get me wrong, I felt somewhat bad about it but unjustifiably so. I followed her suggestion though.

I typed in ‘Delta Chi’ with our school’s name tacked onto the end and a page popped up that housed numerous generic photos of boys in boat shoes and pastel button downs. “I’ll never understand the bowtie thing” I muttered as I scrolled a bit before turning my attention to the sidebar. I clicked ‘likes’ and was faced with a few hundred names and icons to sift through.

“God Gabby, there’s got to be about a billion people to go thro-“ I stopped a familiar male’s face popped up on my screen. I sat up and looked closer at my screen. “There’s no way.” Gabby quizzically looked in my direction before walking over to look with me. She squinted her eyes.

“Is that?”

Holy shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who could it be? And why is it so shocking?

Recommend/Comment/Subscribe!

Sorry if this one's a little more dry than usual, the next one will pick up!