Status: Hiatus

Let Me Be the One

Milkshakes

I got the hint a long time ago that Tom loved Samantha when we all decided to go out for dinner together. I actually liked Sam back then and thought that Tom and I would be together forever. I still love him more than breathing and am trying to prevent the moment when he chooses that gorgeous brunette over me.

Anyway, back to the dinner. Tom and I had gotten there first and we were having an amazing time, just laughing our asses off when Sam and her date arrived. He was a tall, well built man and could clearly break someone in half if he really wanted to.

The second he entered the room, a scowl spread across Toms face and he was crabby throughout the rest of dinner. Finally, Sam snapped at him, asking what his problem was and they got into this huge fight.

I just sat there with Sams date, Johnny, sitting across from me. Samantha ended up storming out of the restaurant and Tom didn't wait a second before he raced after her with a string of apologies. He never came back.

"So is he your boyfriend?" Johnny asked and I nodded. "Sorry to say, but that won't last long. The guy loves Samantha."

And then it hit me like a freight train. At first I denied it, just telling myself that it was just me being a jealous bitch but then I began to notice the little things. The things that seperated our relationship from theirs. And even though I was supposed to be the girlfriend, Tom seemed a lot more romantic with Samantha.

After the millionth time, Tom blew me off for Samantha, I decided then and there that I didn't like Samantha Picket.

I groaned when I heard Snugs barking from next door. Mrs. Brown had a nurse that helped her with stuff but for the most part, I was the one to feed the dog and wash the dishes and actually keep the elderly woman decent company.

I rolled off the couch and tirdely sludged over to the door. I slipped on some old slippers before grabbing an oversized hoodie and trudging across the yard to Mrs. Browns house.

Snugs was in the backyard so I tossed him an Alpo bone to get him to shut up before letting myself into the house. Mrs. Brown was like my grandmother. She always gave the best advice and never judged me when I told her about my problems. And since I didn't have any grandparents, she was twice as special.

I entered the small house to see that the nurse had already come and fed Mrs. Brown and moved her so she could look out the window at the landscape. Mrs. Brown was able to move her wheelchair by some mouth thing but it was easier if the nurse or I did it. Besides, Mrs. Brown didn't like moving much from in front of the window.

"Hey, Mrs. Brown." I greeted and sat down on the comfortable grey love seat.

"Hey honey, how was what's-her-face's birthday?"

"Awful, I was exhausted and Tom wouldn't take me home. I ended up picking up a ride from some guy I met at the party. I totally embarrassed myself because I was hammered and pretty much told him my life story." I sighed.

Mrs. Brown chuckled, "What was this boys name?"

"Frank."

"That's a good name. A good, strong, manly name." Mrs. Brown nodded as if she approved or something. "He seems nice."

I shrugged, "Sure, If I haven't already scared him off from being a freak last night."

Mrs. Brown and I continued to talk about completely pointless and random shit until I had to leave for work. I quickly rushed home and changed into some black, ripped leather pants, a ruffled yellow shirt and some heels before grabbing my phone and leaving.

I work at Victoria Secret. No, I'm not a model or anything (I wish) but I just stand behind the counter and sort clothes and all that shit. It's actually a really fun job and I get a discount so I'll probably be working here until I get wrinkles.

I sauntered into the store and waved to my friend, Mandy before taking my place behind the counter and got ready to start the day.

I spotted this really skinny girl looking around awkwardly so I decided to help. She had mousy brown hair and beady eyes that were hidden behind thick glasses. She usually wasn't the kind of girl to be at these types of stores.

"Hey, I'm Vera, can I be of any help?" I smiled and award winning smile and the girl looked around before nodding.

"I don't really know what to get. Lingerie, but there's so many choices."

Her voice was no louder than a whisper.

"Okay, to start, tell me what your partner is into." I began.

"Well, he said that he wanted something revealing and black and red. He said it had to be black and red."

I frowned, "shouldn't you be the one to choose what to wear? I mean, you're giving him something amazing, he would be thankful in anything you wear."

The girl smiled a bit.

"What do you want to wear?"

"I don't want to do any of this. I honestly just want to go across the street to American Eagle and get some shorts that make my ass look good."

I laughed, "Do what you want. But if you ever decide this is what you want, just ask."

The girl nodded and scurried out the door. I heard someone chuckling and looked over to see Tom, leaning against a shelf. "Wow, Vera does have a heart."

"The poor girl looked terrified, what do you expect?" I shrugged and walked over to plant a kiss on his lips. "What are you doing anyway, I have to work?"

"Just thought that you might want to go out for lunch at the diner. Your break is coming up soon, right?"

He was right, I only worked for an hour until lunch break and then I worked until 6. I usually just ate somewhere in the mall but going to the old fashioned diner a block away would be nice. Especially if I got to share it with Tom.

"Yeah, of course. Give me an hour and I'll be done." I smiled and pecked Tom on the lips again. He was so cute!

"Alright, I'll see you there. I'll order you something." Tom winked and I giggled.

"Don't you dare order me that Grand Slam shit again. My stomach can't carry that much food!"

"I'll get you a milkshake."

"Deal, see you soon, babe." I waved as he walked away. Oh, how I loved that boy so.

I finished my shift and waved goodbye to Mandie before grabbing my purse and heading to the diner. It wasn't a far walk and when I got there I saw that Tom was sitting in a booth talking to a girl.

I'll give you five guesses as to who the girl was.

If you guessed Samantha Picket, you are correct.

"Tom, hi." I greeted, "Oh, hey Samantha." I nodded and held back the urge to slap the brunette.

"Vera, hey, I got you a milkshake, as promised." Tom smiled and pushed me over a drink.

"Mm, thanks babe. What kind is it?" I asked.

"Peanut butter."

I frowned at this. I was deathly allergic to peanuts. I'm pretty sure that I've told him this before as well. Okay, now I am pissed.

Samantha looked kind of sad and when her phone vibrated and she read the text, her face grew dark. She looked up slowly at Tom and pushed herself away from the booth.

I slid in the booth as Samantha stood up and watched as I knew some dramatic shit was about to take place. Sam was literally ready to kill Tom and he was completely oblivious.

"Sammy, where are you going?" Tom asked and grabbed her hand. Fuck, do NOT grab some other bitches hand!

Samantha ripped he hand away, "Don't touch me! Just finish your date with Vera!" she spat my name like it was a sin.

"What did I do?" I asked and both shot me a glare.

"Just shut up for a second, Vee!" Tom snapped and my jaw dropped. He did not just fucking tell me to shut up! "Sam, what's wrong? Tell me!"

"Just leave me alone, Tom!" Sam spat and stormed out of the diner. I knew that the best thing right now was for her to have some time to cool down. She was a levelheaded girl and would be able to talk it out with my boyfriend after she had some time to think.

"Tom, just let her-"

"I have to go after her, Vee! It isn't all about you!" He spat venomously and raced after his friend while I sat there with my jaw on the floor.

I sat there for a second, just trying to understand what just happened. Did he just tell me to shut up and then a follow up to that, he told me it wasn't all about me? Honestly, what the actual fuck!

"Wow, your boyfriend just seems to be getting better and better." Someone said as they slid in the booth. Frank.

"Tell me about it. I can't believe he just left me! He never leaves her to chase after me!" I grumbled and pushed the milkshake away.

"You haven't even touched it." Frank pointed out.

"Allergic to nuts."

"Ah. Well, why don't you say we ditch this place and do something while your boyfriend goes and whines to the Savannah chick."

"I have work."

Frank smiled, "Call in sick. I promise this will be worth your time."