Heart Attack Waiting to Happen

Chapter 4: Drink Up.

Chapter 4: Drink up

Josh’s P.O.V

It was Friday morning and my teacher was running late which left me and the rest of my classmates standing outside the locked classroom.

We were chatting amongst ourselves when we were disturbed by a sudden loud banging noise down the corridor.

I looked behind Max to find Oli’s head leaning against his locker with his fists resting either side of it. I guess he was having a bad morning. I secretly wanted to go over and see if he was okay but I knew I’d only be wasting my time.

Max and Dan made some joke which left them sniggering, I felt sorry for him. I don't know why but I didn't like how they were taking the piss out of him and I didn't like seeing Oli upset. I don't know why, I don't even know him but I couldn’t stand and watch any longer.

“I’m going to see if he’s alright.”

“Really mate, you know he’ll only throw it back in your face.” Max says. He was right but there was this annoying urge inside of me to see if he was alright. Maybe it was my "niceness".

“I know, but it doesn’t hurt to try.” I walked off down the corridor towards Oli.

His head was still leaning against the locker; his eyes were closed shut, knuckles red raw. Maybe I shouldn’t disturb him, or maybe it wouldn’t hurt to let him know I was here. Even though he wouldn't appreciate it.

“Oli… Are you alright mate?” I ask quietly, trying not to make him jump this time. I had a habit of doing that to him.

He let out a heavy sigh and opened his eyes.

“My… My locker wouldn’t open.” He whispered.

Looking frustrated, he leant his back against the locker next to his and covered his face with his hands.

I could tell his frustration wasn’t just from his locker, but I kept the thought to myself and made better use of myself.

“Ha I know, this locker can be a right pain. Let me have a look.” I say to lighten up the mood.

I gave the locker a few soft taps and the door opened. I smiled.

“There, I guess it needed a familiar touch.” I joked but he didn’t seem to care.

He removed his hands from his face and I saw there was a new cut below his eye, I wondered how he got that one. He always seemed to be covered in cuts and bruises.

He didn't even take a glance at me, he just started putting his books in his locker and that was enough of a hint to get lost, so I left him to it.

As I started walking away from him, he called my name.
I turned on my heel, surprised to hear him call after me. He looked exhausted and sad but I kept my thoughts to myself and stood and waited to hear what he had to say.

“Thanks.” He mumbled, shyly.

He hung his head and continued putting his books away but the fact he said thank you have me a little bit of hope that he wasn't all that bad.

“No Problem.” I smiled at him but I don't think he saw it.

I walked back to my class which was now open, I’m glad I helped him out even though it wasn't much at all. I only hope whatever is bothering him doesn’t stress him out too much.

~~

School was over and we all gathered outside the school gates discussing what the plan was for tonight. Amy’s parents were away and she invited us all round for a couple of drinks.

Her parents were well off and I heard that her house was big and awesome for parties.

“Your definitely coming tonight, aren’t you Josh?” Any asks, fluttering her eye lashes and twirling a finger round her blonde hair.

“Yeah, I’ll be there.” I grin.

“Great, I’ll see you later then.” She left with the biggest smile on her face, linking arms with her two friends and walking off.

Max winked at me and sent me that knowing cheeky smirk.

“Josh you're so in there mate!” He said teasing me, starting off the others with their banting.

“Josh is gonna get laid tonight!” Dan practically shouts and my face burns red with embarrassment. And all the guys chant and pat me on the back.

“Shh, no I’m not!” I let out a nervous laugh, not liking the attention on such a personal subject.

I was only 17 and a virgin. I never had a girlfriend before but Amy was the only girl I’ve felt attracted to… so maybe this was the start of something new? I was I really going to lose my virginity tonight? I could feel myself getting all nervous but I was just getting a head if myself and the guys were just putting ideas in my head. I don’t know, let’s see what happens.

~~

It was 9 o’clock and I started to make my way over to Amy’s house. I was running abit late so I told the guys to go without me and I’ll meet them there. I thought I’d take a short cut across the playground; I would be at hers in about15 minutes if I did. it was abit chilly out tonight and I thought that was the best option to not freeze my butt off.

I pulled the collar of my denim jacket up to shield my face from the cold air and put my hands in my pockets to try and keep warm. As I was crossing the playground I notice there was someone sitting on one of the swings. I walked abit faster incase it was trouble, but as I got closer I took a glimpse to see who it was and it was enough to stop me in my tracks. it was Oli. What was he doing sitting out here on his own in the cold?

“Oli?” I call out to him and I see his head lift up.

I walk over to him and see he was holding a half empty bottle of Jack Daniels. And my curiosity rises.

“Hey Oli, what are you doing out here on your own?”

It was obvious what he was doing, but I felt the need to ask to make conversation. He just hung his head and ignored me. Typical of him, but I just couldn’t walk away from him now. I decided to join him and sat on the swing next to him, he was shivering. God knows how long he’s been sitting out here for.

“JD huh, how did you manage to get that?” I ask, trying to get him to talk to me.

“I’m 18.” He slurs.

Of course he was, I was the youngest in the whole year. I wouldn't turn 18 til this August.

My phone beeped and I take it out of my pocket to see it was a text from Amy.

“Are you still coming? Xxx”

I was about to reply but Oli spoke.

“You better get going, you don’t want to keep your friends waiting.” He says almost bitterly.

How did he know I was meeting my friends, coincidence? Anyway, I couldn’t just leave him drunk on his own out here, anything could happen to him. I needed to know he was safe, so I took a shot and invited him to come along with me.

“Hey, I’m heading to meet the others for a couple drinks, why don’t you join us?”

He laughed.

“Yeah right. I don’t do friends.”

I frowned, why did he always avoid socialising with people?
And how could you get by in life with no friends? My friends were everything to me.

“So your just gonna sit here the rest of the night and drink by yourself?”

“Yep.” He said before taking a drink from the bottle.

Well, I wasn’t planning on leaving him while he was like this so I better make myself comfy.

“You gonna share that drink or what?” I said bluntly.

He looked shocked, like how could I even ask such a question. It took him a few seconds to think about it, but then he handed the bottle over to me with a very shaky hand. I take the bottle from him and take a swig of the alcohol, not taking a second thought at the large amount I consumed and not at all expecting the strong vile taste to burn my throat.

I choked on the alcohol and spitting most of it out onto the ground between my feet. Ugh, that's was fucking vile! My hand held my chest as it burned. My reaction caused Oli burst out laughing and I'm quick to shoot him an annoyed glare but it was the first time I've seem him laugh, despite it being at me.

“Can’t you handle your drink Josh?” He teased me.

I didn't want to come across as a stupid under teenager who couldn't hold his drink, so I took another drink to prove him wrong, expecting the burn this around, I handle it a lot better this time.

He smiled at me drunkly, snatching the bottle out of my hand and drinking a large amount. Show off.

I watch him as he rocked the swing slightly back and forth, hanging his head and occasionally take a swig of the bottle. How can he do this to himself? Wasn’t he lonely? Didn't he have a single friend in the world? There couldn't be much fun in getting drunk on your own.

My phone beeped again, it was another text from Amy.

“Josh, where are you? Xx”

“Run along Joshie, people are waiting for you.” Oli teased me yet again but I just ignored his pettiness. I knew he was drunk.

“Look why don’t you just come along with me, we’re having a few drinks anyway and you’re more or less half way there.” I needed to convince him because I was freezing sitting out here.

He gave me this drunken unimpressed look as if I was crazy.

“Come on Oli, its gotta be better than drinking out in the cold on your own. You don’t really need to talk to anyone, just pretend to enjoy the company if you have too.” I began to sound abit desperate, but I refuse to leave him on his own like this.

“Why do you even care?” he murmurs into the bottle.

“Do I need a reason?” My voice was low, sadden from his question. I stood up from the swing and stood in front of him not waiting for him to reply.

He gazed up at me, it was dark but I could still see the sadness in his dark eyes. He looked so lost. What was his story?

“Fine…I’ll come with you.” He says and my eyes in disbelief.

I was in shock, he actually agree to come with me. Well thank god for that!

He wobbled when he got up from the swing and I reach my hand out to help him but he held his hands up to let me know he was ok. I didn't want to give him any reason to change his mind and not come with me I back up and we both slowly walked to Amy’s house in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oli finally gave in...but how will it end? Keep reading to find out guys! :)