Heart Attack Waiting to Happen

Chapter 3: Baby Steps.

Chapter 3: Baby Steps.

Josh’s P.O.V

I was half way across the field to Oli when I suddenly started getting nervous. I didn't exactly think this through properly, I didn’t really know what to say to him.

I knew already if I invited him over to sit with us he was just going to say no, but it was worth another try I guess. Man, I hope he didn't think I was desperate because I wasn't, I'm simply just trying to be nice.

I was just a few feet away from him. I could see he was in his own little world drawing into a sketchbook which was placed on his lap. I guess art was one of his other chosen subjects, I wondered if he was any good.

I stood in front of him.m but oddly he didn't glance up.

“Hey Oli.”

He didn’t reply, was he really being that ignorant and completely ignoring me?

Then suddenly, he glanced up taking a double look at me and pulled out his headphones. Oh, he couldn’t hear me that’s why.

“Oh erm, hi Josh.” He says awkwardly, before quickly looking back down to his sketch book.

I didn’t want to invite him over straight away because I knew that would kill the conversation and he would just turn me down flat. So I thought I’d try to get to know him abit…if he let me.

“What are you listening to?” I smiled, hinting an interest.

He fiddled with his headphones in his hands for a couple of seconds before answering me.

“Erm, a band called Linkin Park.”

“Aw cool, good band they are!” I say excitingly. Yes, I finally got something which hopefully will be a a good enough subject to start a conversation. I thought it was cool he was listening to them because I really liked them to.

“You like them?” Oli looked up at me, looking sort of surprised. Yes, he was interested.

“Yeah, I went to they're concert last year, they were amazing!”

A smile tugged at his lips and it was a bloody miracle!

"I would really like to see them, they're my favourite band."

"When they tour again we should definitely go together." I say, being genuine.

"That would be cool." He smiles a little and I couldn't believe this was the same guy as this morning.

He was slowly opening up and surprisingly he was nice.

I had found my ice breaker and sat down on the grass opposite him, and started talking about other bands that we also liked. He seemed to loosen up abit and actually say more than one sentence to me. I liked this, this is how it should have been from the start, he seemed like a really cool person.

When the conversation died down He picked up his pencil and started drawing again. I was curious to see some of his art work, so I leant forward trying to get a peek of his work but he quickly covered his drawing with his hands.

“What are you doing?” He says in annoyance.

“Oh, er sorry, I was just curious to see what you were drawing.”

He huffed and closed his sketchbook. Maybe I should have asked to see his drawing instead of trying to see it myself but I didn't think he'll have a problem.

“Why are you so interested in me?”

His question caught me off guard and I stare fat him with wide eyes. How do I even reply to that? I don’t even know the answer myself to be honest. He just seemed cool? That was so lame.

“I’m only trying to be nice.” I shrug it off.

“Why?”

He was asking me why I was being nice. What sort of question was that?

“Well, I guess it’s just the polite thing to do when you want to make friends…” I trailed off, looking at him hinting that I wanted to be his friend.

He looked down, hiding his face under his fringe.

“You don’t want to be my friend Josh.” He sighs sounding sad.

He sounded like he had already written us off being friends. But how did he know, he wouldn’t even give us a chance to be friends, what was his problem?

“Do you think I would be sitting here talking to you, if I didn’t want to be your friend?” I was trying to get through to him, but he was just being stubborn.

“You’re too nice Josh.” He whispered.

I’m too nice? What the fuck? Isn't that a good thing?

“So you’re saying I can’t be your friend because I’m too nice?” I was so confused.

He didn't say anything just kept his head down and sat in silence. I could feel myself getting frustrated with him.

“Look, I came over here to ask you if you wanted to sit with me and my friends.”

He lifted his head and looked past me and over to my friends in the distances. I see him smirk and looked back down again.

“I’m okay thanks.”

I feel my eyes furrow together in annoyance. What was wrong with my friends? What was wrong with me? Better yet, what was wrong with him? Did he think he was too good enough for us?

“What’s the problem Oli? Me and my friends are really nice people and we want to welcome you into our group, so what’s the big deal?” I asked in irritation.

I really didn't get him, he was alright a moment ago when we were talking about bands but now he's mood has completely switched.

I don’t know why I’m wasting my time with someone who actually doesn’t give a fuck.

“I doubt they forced you to come over here.”

“No they didn’t, but I wanted to!” I snap at him. He was so fucking frustrating!

We both stared at each other, neither of one us breaking eye contact. We were having a silent argument with our eyes, my heart started to beat really fast and it suddenly felt so much more than a stare out.

“You’re girlfriend is coming over.” He nodded his head to behind me and his words broke my eye contact.

What girlfriend?

“Wait, what?” I ask in confusion and glanced over my shoulder.

I see Amy making her way over to us. Oh great, why did she have to come over, I told her not to.

I looked back at Oli and see he was glaring right at her.

“She’s not my girlfriend.” I whispered to him. I wanted to make sure he knew that.

He shrugged his shoulders and looked to the ground again.

“Whatever.” He scoffs.

“Hey guys!” Any beams when she finally reached us.

She had the biggest smile on her face, I really couldn’t deal with her right now, I was too worked up over the strange disagreement with Oli but I managed to forced a hello back.

“Josh I thought you were going to invite Oli to sit with us, not keep him here all to yourself.” She joked as she sat down next to me, elbowing me lightly in the arm.

Oh god, please go away. This wasn’t the right moment for her to joke around and be all flirty with me.

“I’m Amy by the way, why don’t you come join us?” She says, turning to face Oli fluttering her eye lashes and smiling at him. What was she doing?

Oli stood up, put his bag over one shoulder and his sketch book under his arm. For a second, I thought he was actually going to agree to join us, but I was wrong.

“Maybe some other time.” He smiled at her, which I can only assume was a fake smile, and then he walked off.

I can’t believe he just did that.

“Did I say something to offend him?” Amy asks looking at me for an answer.

I shrugged my shoulders, not knowing what to say to be honest.

“Let’s go back to the others.” I say.

I didn't want to fuss over Oli. He made his choice to be on his own so I should just leave him be.
♠ ♠ ♠
My chapters are abit long but i like them long and find theres nothing worse than a short chapter!

Hoped you all are enjoying the story so far :)