Status: I originally posted this on Wattpad and decided to share it on here!

Breakout

Chapter 22

Chapter 22.

"Why are we here again?" Jasey asked as she was inspecting her perfectly nail polished nails. Jasey and Lisa were sitting on the couch in Rian's living room. Alex and I were both standing in front of them. Alex had his arms crossed over his chest glaring at the pair. I just stood there chewing on my nails which I don't normally do.

"I just want to know who started the rumor about Marie," Alex asked.

"What rumor?" Lisa asked, cocking her head to the side in a cute manner.

"You know what rumor," Alex said.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I don't know either," Jasey said. Alex and I exchanged glances. I sighed as I dropped my fingers from my mouth.

"Someone started a rumor that I was pregnant," I said.

"You're pregnant?!" Lisa exclaimed.

"No, someone said that I was and now it's all over the school."

"And why do you two think that we started the rumor?" Jasey asked as she raised her eyebrows.

"We asked around during lunch and almost all the students said that the rumor came from one of you two," Alex said.

"Well I didn't start it, I didn't even know that rumor was circling around the school," Lisa said, shrugging her shoulders. "And seriously, I would never spread that kind of rumor about Marie. I barely know her."

My eyes traveled to my feet. Lisa did have a point. I barely know her too. Well besides that her and Alex dated. Jasey let out a dramatic sigh and got up from the couch. My eyes shifted towards her.

"And I didn't start it either. You two are seriously going to believe some ninth graders that told you that Lisa and I started the rumor? They're just bullshitting. Seriously, don't listen to them."

I looked over at Alex who was looking at the two girls closely. After what it seemed like minutes, he spoke, "Okay. You two can go. Sorry we bothered you both."

Jasey smiled and hugged us both. "No worries. Bye you guys!" Lisa followed her out of Rian's house. I sighed and sat down on the couch with my face in my hands. I heard Alex sigh as well, as he rubbed my back, soothingly.

"What are we going to do now?" I asked.

"There's nothing we can do now."

I removed my hands from my face and stared up at Alex.

"Do you want kids?"

"What?"

"Do you want kids?" I repeated. Alex looked confused as he sat down on the couch beside me.

"Are you saying we should have sex?"

A blush filled my cheeks. "No, I'm just saying that one day do you want to have kids? You know, with your wife."

Alex sat there for a few minutes, thinking over the question I just asked him.

"Yeah, one day," he sighed. "Why do you ask?"

"My mom works at a childcare center. Maybe we could visit her."

"And why should we do that?"

I smiled and kissed Alex's lips.

"Because."

---

"Alex, Marie. What are you two doing here?" Mom asked as she was holding a baby and a little kid was hugging her leg.

"We wanted to visit you," I said.

"And why would you do that?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because I love you! Now what can we do to help?"

Mom sighed, adjusting the baby in her arms. "You can clean up and maybe read the kids a story afterwards. Some of them are about to leave anyway."

I grabbed Alex's hand and dragged him further into the building.

"Why are we doing this?" Alex whined.

"I want to see how you do while you're around little kids."

"You do realize you're not really pregnant right?"

"I know but still."

We ended up in a colorful room where all the kids were scattered on the floor. Toys scattered all over the floor. I've only been here once so I didn't really know any of the kids' name.

"Alex, you gather the kids up while I pick up the toys." Before he could argue, I slipped out of his grasp and I started picking up some of the toys from the floor and put them in the toy box. Suddenly, I felt a tap on the back of my leg. I turned around to find a little blonde girl, cuddling a teddy bear to her chest.

"Hello," I said. "What's your name?"

"Amelia," she squeaked out.

I smiled. "Well that's a pretty name."

She blushed and hid her blushed cheeks with her teddy bear. "Are you a princess?"

I was a little taken back from the question. "Um, sure?"

Amelia pointed behind her. "Is that boy your prince?"

I glanced behind the little girl and my gaze fixed upon Alex, who had a little boy attached to his leg. He was gently trying to shake him off. I found the sight amusing. I giggled.

"Yep."

Amelia smiled. "What's his name?"

"Alex."

Amelia giggled and ran over to Alex tugging on his arm.

"Yes?" he asked.

"You should kiss your princess."

"What?"

"Your princess," she said, pointing her finger to me. Alex followed her gaze and his eyes landed on me. A small smile crept upon his lips.

"You really want me to kiss her?"

Amelia nodded her head, vigorously.

"If you say so."

Alex slowly started making his way toward me with a smirk on his lips. Alex was struggling due to the little boy still attached to his leg. He finally reached me and placed his hands on my waist.

"Should we really kiss in front of the kids?" I asked. Alex ignored me as he placed his lips on mine. The whole room was filled with screams and squeals. We both pulled away laughing.

"You guys! No PDA in the building!" Mom ordered.

"Sorry Mom," I laughed. "We won't do it again."

---

"I had a good time tonight," Alex said.

"Really? You looked like you had a miserable time," I said. Alex caught my hand and started swinging it back and forth. After all the kids left at the childcare, we decided to walk home. Mom had to stay back a bit and check out.

"No, I really had a good time," Alex assured me. "All the kids were hilarious."

I laughed replaying the night in my head. After a few minutes of silence, we reached my house.

"Are you going to walk home?" I asked.

"Nah, I'm just going to call Zack and see if he could pick me up."

I nodded. Alex just stared at me for a minute and I softly giggled.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked. Alex didn't say anything as he continued to stare. I tucked a hair behind my ear. "Alex?"

"I love you."

My world suddenly came to a stop and I literally couldn't breathe for a second. My heart beating fast as I said, "What?"

"I love you," Alex repeated. I still didn't say anything as I stared at him. Alex's smile slowly started fading. "You don't feel the same way?"

"Um," I said. Alex scoffed.

"I knew it."

"What?"

"I knew you didn't feel the same way."

"No Alex! You just to--"

"Save it. I really don't want to hear it."

And with that, he left me alone in front of my house with tears in my eyes.

Great Marie. Now look what you've done.