‹ Prequel: About a Boy
Status: Active

Times Change, Friends Leave and Life Doesn't Wait for Anybody

Chapter Twelve

The rest of the Christmas holidays passed quickly. Their families decided there was no point in the boys travelling after New Year passed, but insisted that they stay for the entirety of their Easter and summer holidays. A week after New Year and it was Kellin’s last day off before he had to return to work.
“Kellin?” Vic called from the bedroom, sounding almost frightened. Kellin rushed to the bedroom, looking at Vic in concern as the other boy stood in the middle of the room with his phone in his hand.
“Hey, what’s wrong?” Kellin asked gently. Vic opened his mouth to reply, but no sound came out. Instead, he offered his phone to Kellin, who frowned and began to read a text.
From Unknown: Hey, Vicky, did you miss me? Trust me, moving state is not going to help you. I know where you are.
Love Ronnie
Kellin growled when he read the text, looking up to Vic still looking fearfully at the phone. “Vic, who’s Ronnie?”
“He’s my… He’s my ex.” Vic mumbled, tears glistening in his eyes.
“Are you fucking kidding me?” Kellin exploded. This was the same ex that had tried to rape Vic? “How the fuck did he get your number? Shit, Vic, we’ve got to get to the police.” Before Vic could reply, his phone beeped again, and Kellin looked down to see that Ronnie had sent him another message.
From Unknown: I hear you’ve got yourself another boyfriend. I bet he’s as big pussy as you are. If you tell anyone this, he might just… Disappear.
Kellin snarled this time at the phone and clenched his fist angrily around it.
“Kellin?” Vic said quietly.
“Come on.” Kellin ordered, voice quivering with rage. “We’re going to the police. Now.”
Kellin grabbed Vic’s hand, maybe holding on a bit too tightly, and began to drag him to the front door of their apartment, prepared to do whatever it took to make sure they found this guy. There was no way Kellin was letting him anywhere near Vic. Not again. Not after what happened the first time.
“Get in.” Kellin ordered, unlocking his car door and gesturing for Vic to climb into the passenger’s seat. He was being unnecessarily harsh with the other boy, but really he was more frightened than anything. Kellin breathed in deeply as he slid into his own seat, slamming the door shut and buckling his seat belt before starting the drive to the police station.
They had driven for only about two minutes in complete silence before Vic all but yelled, “Turn back around, Kellin.”
“What?” Kellin asked sharply.
“Kellin, you’ve got to turn back around. We’ve got to get back.”
“Why?”
“Because he’s there. He right there.” Vic was staring out of the window to a shadowy figure, hidden by the trees. Kellin could just about make out pale skin, long dark hair and what looked like a lot of tattoos. Eerily similar to himself, but with harsher features. “Shit, Kellin he’s moving. We’ve got to go.”
Kellin nodded numbly and turned his car back around, probably breaking the speed limit at least five times.
The couple stumbled back into their apartment, both breathing heavily, and Vic shaking with nerves as he fell to the floor, sobbing dryly.
“Vic…” Kellin sat down next to him, back pressed against the door. He tried to put his arms around the smaller boy, who flinched away in response but continued to cry into his knees.
“Kellin, it doesn’t matter about the restraining order. It won’t work here.” Vic whispered.
“Why on Earth wouldn’t it?”
“We aren’t under the jurisdiction of the judge that issued it. It doesn’t count in other states. He’s allowed to come as near to me as he wants.” Vic continued.
“Are you fucking kidding me?”
“Kellin? What if he tries to… You know?” Vic muttered.
“I won’t let him.” Kellin said forcefully. “I’m not gonna let him anywhere near you, okay?”
Vic nodded slowly and uncurled his body, letting his head fall onto Kellin’s lap and sighing, occasionally hiccupping. Kellin ran his fingers through Vic’s soft curls, his leg steadily becoming numb, but unmoving as he tried to comfort his boyfriend. And even though he was trying to be somewhat brave, just to comfort Vic more than anything, he couldn’t pretend that he wasn’t nervous.
____
“Kellin you can’t make me go!” Vic screamed, punching Kellin’s back as he carried him to the car, the smaller boy swung over his shoulder. Vic was already late, but Kellin wasn’t going to let him completely miss a class.
“Vic. You can’t just miss a class because you think he might turn up.” Kellin reprimanded softly. He set Vic into the passenger seat and then climbed into his own seat, buckling his seatbelt and sighing when Vic crossed his arms defiantly, his seatbelt still hanging on the other side of the seat.
“Vic...” Kellin sighed and reached over Vic to buckle his belt for him.
“I’m fucking scared, Kellin.” Vic argued.
“I know, Vic. But you can’t let him sending you a bunch of creepy texts completely take over your life.”
“But he’s here. If he has my number, and he knows which state I’m in, and whereabouts I am in that state, how do we know he doesn’t know our address? How do we know he isn’t going to be there when we get back?”
“Look, wait for me at university, and I’ll come and pick you up. If you don’t wanna be there alone, go to someone’s house or something, and I’ll come and get you later, okay? You’re gonna be fine, Vic.” Kellin said gently, offering Vic a reassuring smile, which he less than eagerly returned. “Come on.” Kellin offered Vic his hand, which he took. Kellin squeezed his hand consolingly and started the car, making his way to where Vic was already half an hour late.
“Kellin I don’t want to go.” Vic muttered as Kellin pulled into the car park.
“Well you have to.” Kellin ordered.
“What’s the point? I’ve missed most of it anyway. There’s only like… There isn’t a lot of it left.” Vic argued.
“Well what are you going to do instead?” Kellin raised an eyebrow at him, feeling himself start to relent.
“I’ll come to work with you.” Vic smiled. Kellin sighed, but began to back out of the parking lot again, ignoring Vic’s delighted clap as he made his way to work instead.
“You’re going tomorrow.” Kellin insisted.
“We’ll see.”
____
“Kellin Bostwick you are late!” Laila chimed. Kellin shrugged an apology and walked in, Vic in tow.
“Sorry, Laila. Um… So this is Vic-“
‘Oh my God HI!” Laila cried, bounding around the counter and immediately pulling Vic into a hug. “He does not stop going on about you, you know that? I think I know your parents’ anniversary…” Kellin blushed furiously and dragged Laila back around the counter, glaring at Vic as he laughed affectionately. “You guys are so cute together!” Laila continued. “You’re like, perfect for each other- Gerard!” She yelled suddenly. The red haired man peered around his booth, frowning but standing up when Laila beckoned for him.
“Hi, Laila.” He said, looking at Vic and nodding ‘hello’.
“This is Kellin’s boyfriend.” She announced proudly. Vic waved to Gerard, who grinned back.
“Nirvana?” He smiled at the shirt that Vic had on.
“Yeah.” Vic nodded, smiling when Gerard drew back his sleeve to reveal a Nirvana wristband.
“I think we’re going to get along.” Gerard said, hooking his arm around Vic’s and leading him to his booth.
“Careful there, Kellin,” Laila laughed. “He might just try and kidnap your boyfriend.”
Kellin rolled his eyes but laughed as well, just happy to see something taking Vic’s mind off Ronnie for a while.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here you go. I know where I'm going to end this, guys, and I can tell you there'll probably only be a couple more chapters. Thanks to all of you for sticking with me through this, I love you guys :) xxx