‹ Prequel: About a Boy
Status: Active

Times Change, Friends Leave and Life Doesn't Wait for Anybody

Chapter Six

Gone to university. Be back whenever.
Kellin sighed as he crumpled the piece of paper that had been left on Vic’s pillow. Normally, when Vic left him a note there would be a couple of kisses at the end, otherwise an ‘I love you’. The lack of these, and even a time of his return told Kellin that he was still pissed off. He had every right to be, but it wasn’t a nice feeling, to know that he had disappointed Vic.
Kellin trudged to work dejectedly, ignoring Laila’s questioning look and slipping behind the counter.
“Kellin?” She asked.
“I really don’t wanna talk, Laila.” Kellin said with a sigh. He rubbed his eyes wearily and slouched on the counter, hair falling into his face.
“Alright then. If you do want to, you can talk to me at any time, okay?” She offered kindly, squeezing his shoulder and stepping a couple of feet to the right, where her cash register was. Kellin remained in his position for the rest of the morning, not even looking up when Gerard came in again. Until he heard Frank’s voice from beside him.
Kellin peered up to see Frank clutching onto Gerard’s forearm, both of them smiling at each other. Their new relationship status was confirmed when Frank leaned up onto his toes and pecked Gerard on the cheek, who promptly blushed. Kellin groaned and hit his head on the counter top. Hard. On any other day he would have been over the moon for Gerard and Frank, having watched their relationship grow for the past month and a half. Today, however, he was simply reminded of the way he and Vic had been only last week, and the way they probably wouldn’t be for a while. All because he was too stupid to not get into unnecessary fights.
“Are you okay, Kellin?” Gerard asked concernedly.
“I’m fine.” Kellin said, voice muffled as his face was still pressed on the counter top.
“Um… Okay. I hope you feel… Fine later.” The red haired boy said, taking his boyfriend with him as they made their way to a booth.
“Laila?” Kellin asked when Gerard and Frank had gone to sit together, being horribly adorable with one another.
“Yeah, Kellin?” Laila chirped.
“I… Do I just apologise… When I’ve, like, pissed my boyfriend off?” He finished lamely. Laila hopped onto the counter, gesturing for Kellin to do the same.
“First question: are you the boy or the girl in the relationship?” Laila asked seriously. “Or do you not, like, have one or the other?”
“I… I guess I’m kind of the boy…” Kellin shrugged. He supposed Vic was more feminine out of the both of them.
“Really? You are? How small is… Never mind.” Laila trailed off hastily when Kellin looked at her. “I think… Well, you should definitely apologise. How bad is what you did?”
“Pretty bad.” Kellin said. “It was the whole fight thing.” He added.
“Oh my God I’m so sorry! That’s my fault. Do you want me to go and, like, talk to him or something?” Laila offered, looking horrified.
“It isn’t your fault, Laila, don’t worry.” Kellin insisted.
“I… I’m still really sorry though.” She said sadly. Laila reached over and rubbed Kellin’s shoulder. He was grateful for her concern, but at the same time wanted to forget about his problems with Vic for a while.
“Don’t be. It’s all my fault.” Kellin responded, sliding off the counter and engaging himself with his cash register.
Laila shrugged, sliding off the counter as well to greet another customer, who scurried away from Kellin when he glared up at her. “Hi! What can I get you today?”
____
Vic was already at home when Kellin got back, which rarely happened nowadays. It just meant that whichever lecture he’d had had finished early, and he hadn’t gone out with his friends at all. Normally, Kellin would be grateful for that as he got the chance to spend more time with the other boy, but now? Not so much.
“Hey.” Kellin said quietly, putting his keys into the holder by the front door after he shut it. Vic didn’t reply, instead he carried on typing furiously on his laptop. “Vic?” He tried again, with no response. “Come on, Vic. I get that you’re angry but that’s no reason to be rude.” Kellin stepped further into the apartment, watching Vic typing on his laptop, curled up on the sofa. He could hear the faint sounds of music coming out of headphones. And then he saw the white bud barely visible by Vic’s long hair curling over it.
Kellin nodded in acceptance, and rather than disturbing the other boy, walked quietly to the fridge, pulling out a carton of milk and swigging straight from it.
“Don’t do that, Kellin.” Vic’s voice came from behind him. Kellin spun around to see Vic with a disapproving look upon his face.
“So you knew I was here.” Kellin said in an accusatory tone.
“Yes. I just didn’t feel like talking to you.” Vic answered, turning his nose up slightly.
“You can’t stay mad at me forever.” Kellin said.
“Well I’m staying mad at you for now.” Vic responded stonily. “Kellin, you can’t expect me to just forgive you for this.”
“I don’t!” Kellin insisted. “But that doesn’t mean I like you ignoring me-“
“I don’t want to talk about this right now.” Vic interrupted, shaking his head and making his way back to his laptop, which he closed with a sigh.
“Vic…” Kellin whispered sadly. It really hurt to see Vic so angry with him. He knew that apologies would be fruitless at this point, and the best thing to do would probably be to just let things die down. But Kellin was sure that that would take quite a long time, and he wasn’t sure how long he would be able to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is! Like I said, with all the revision I can't write as often, but I only have three more exams so I'll write more now!