‹ Prequel: Rooftop Musings
Sequel: Set Sail
Status: finished | 5th sept, 2015

Where the Wind Takes Us

your old age has really rubbed off on me

So cover your eyes, I have a surprise,” I sing to myself with a headphone in, bopping along to the tune as I plop down into my seat on the plane. Of course I get stuck on a middle seat, with Mick having the window seat and I have no idea who’s sitting on my other side. Mick whistles along to the tune, my other headphone in his ear. “I hope you got a healthy appetite.

If you wanna dance, if you want it all, you know that I’m the girl that you should call” Mick sings back, bopping his head in a way that I’ve only seen him do that to Katy Perry songs. Only Katy Perry songs.

“Mick, Nat, please,” Mr. Assface, who’s sitting two rows behind us groans, but neither of us listen.

But when you’re with me, I’ll give you a taste, make it like your birthday every day!!” We belt out, only to be greeted by giggles from the rest of the year twelves and odd looks from other passengers. Mick and I glance at each other and laugh. Neither of us care. We’re too much in a good mood to care about the opinions of other people. It’s my birthday tomorrow, do you think I care?

Yes, a silent voice in my head reminds me. A little bit. Damn, why do I have to be so self-conscious? I push the thought away and focus on what’s happening in front of me. As in, Mick’s gone suddenly quiet and I’m not sure why until I turn my head to see none other than Josh pushing his carryon luggage in the compartment above our heads.

“Where are you sitting?” I ask cautiously, not sure if what’s about to happen is actually about to happen.

“Yes Natalie, you are stuck with me on this flight,” Josh says teasingly and I can’t help but smile even though I know who’s sitting on my other side. I’m surprised when he acknowledges Mick, well, with just a head nod but it’s better than nothing. Mick stares at him for a moment before giving that weird head nod that guys do and that’s the end of their interaction. Thank God.

It occurs to me that the last time the two were in such close proximity to each other was when they fought. Ah. Memories. Not awkward at all.

While Josh settles into his seat, I glance around him to see Colton sitting next to G, who grimaces in my direction. She thinks it’s awkward, I’m the one in the middle of them.

“Whatcha looking at?” Josh asks me and I snap my attention back to him, smiling sunnily. I’m not feeling very sunny, but Josh doesn’t need to know that. “You, now.”

“The best sight to look at,” Josh replies seriously, causing me to burst into giggles.

“Uh huh,” I turn away to clip my seatbelt on, and simultaneously ignore Mick. “You keep telling yourself that, bud.”

♡♡♡


“What’s another word for ‘imbecile’?” Josh asks, his eyebrows furrowed as he tries to complete a crossword on the aeroplane magazine.

“Mick,” I blurt out and both of us smile. “Oops,” I turn sheepishly to Mick, who’s sporting a pissed off look on his face. Awesome. “I was kidding, Micky.”

He rolls his eyes. “Yeah, alright Natty.” I glare at him. Mick knows I hate being called that.

“It’s five letters,” Josh says suddenly, pulling me out my glare-off. “Idiot?”

“So still Mick,” I answer and I can see Josh fighting to stop himself from laughing. It doesn’t work, and a chuckle escapes from his lips. “Your laugh is cute.”

Josh chuckles some more while I feel my cheeks redden at my sudden choice in words.

“Uh,” I stutter. “I mean, uh. I don’t know. No. I meant what I said? Oh my god.” I place my head in my hands. “I’m such an embarrassment. Ignore me.”

“Hey,” Josh nudges me gently. “You’re cute when you ramble.” When I glance up at him, he continues. “Now we’re equal.”

I snort. “We’re both equally cute?”

“You’re cuter than I am,” Josh interjects. “But yeah, basically.”

I give Josh a look but he just smiles, unclipping his seatbelt. “I’m going to the bathroom. Be right back.”

I’m about to lay my head on the back of my chair and close my eyes when Mick speaks.

“You’re flirting with Josh? Really?”

I roll my eyes. After hearing my parents bicker in the car this morning and then hearing the judgement in Mick’s voice is kind of pissing me off, to be perfectly honest. “Fuck off, Mick,” I snap. “Did you really just forget the conversation we had this morning? Where you said you’d back off?”

Mick’s jaw drops for a moment before he closes it. In this time, Josh returns to his seat.

“Sorry,” Mick says quietly, but I don’t care. I turn and beam at Josh, who looks a little confused. “So, what other words do you have to fill in for that crossword?”

♡♡♡


The flight flies by with not a peep from Mick but plenty of banter between Josh and I. It’s during this time I’ve realised how much I’ve actually missed talking to Josh, even if it’s about silly things like what weapons we’d use in a zombie apocalypse or what food we’d eat if it was our last meal on earth.

For the record, we both agreed that swords would be an ideal weapon to use. We weren’t able to decide what we’d eat over our last meal.

Once we arrive to our hotel, all of the students plus Mr. Dalf and Assface go over the rules for this trip.

“Rooms are gender assigned,” Assface begins. “Lights out at 11. We’ll be spending today at the beach and shopping, Saturday we’ll be going to Wet’n’Wild and Sunday is Movie World before we go home Sunday night. No sneaking out or being in places you shouldn’t be in. Meet here in the foyer at 9am every day. Understood?”

We all nod, and then pick up our suitcases to head to our respective rooms. I’d already decided with Georgia beforehand to share a room, because duh, why wouldn’t we?

“Yo,” Mick hollers once the teachers leave. “Nat’s birthday is tomorrow, so we’re going clubbing tomorrow night in Surfer’s Paradise. Everyone better rock up, I got cheap entry.”

“And how are we going to get past the teachers?” I ask.

James grins. “Matt has a plan, don’t you mate?”

Matt, one of Josh’s friends, smiles. “Leave it to me to deal with Assface and Dalf. I’ll order a couple of group taxis for 10pm.”

“Sweet,” James replies. He turns to me. “You satisfied?”

I nod. “Sounds good.”

As the students disperse and head to their rooms, I scope out Georgia. “I wanna go to the beach, but I also need a dress for the clubs,” Georgia sighs. “Come shopping with me?”

“Of course,” I tell her while we wait for the elevator. “We have like, three days to go to the beach. We could go for a late night swim tonight?”

“Ah Fader, you’re growing up to be more like me every day,” Georgia says fondly.

“Yeah, your old age has really rubbed off on me.”

“You’re turning as old as me tomorrow, you idiot.”

“…oh yeah.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oops for not posting for like, three months. I can't guarantee that won't happen again since I'm in uni at the moment and this was written while I should have been doing an assignment / studying for a test. Oopsies. Hopefully I'm able to write something again soon, though!

So the next chapter is a fluffy cute chapter that leads up nicely to chapter twenty-one which is one I'm SO EXCITED FOR HOLY POO. I don't wanna give anything away BUT I will say that I'm fairly sure the last line will make you feel emotions. Hehe. SORRY NOT SORRY.