‹ Prequel: Rooftop Musings
Sequel: Set Sail
Status: finished | 5th sept, 2015

Where the Wind Takes Us

i'm irreplacable, bitch

“Nat, you can stop smiling. It’s freaking us the fuck out.”

The gang and I are at Gloria Jeans, sitting in one of their booths, iced drinks all in our hands. Even Colton, who’s not a huge fan of coffee, is drinking something. Granted, it’s an iced chocolate, but still.

I continue to grin. “What are you talking about, James? I’m fine.”

Georgia tosses her hair over her shoulder. “Speak for yourself, Markinson. I, for one, am happy for my friend. Because I want Nat to be happy.”

“Hey!” James says indignantly, as Colton breaks into a chuckle. “I’m happy for Nat!” He shoots me a look. “Seriously, I am. Your continuous smiling is lookin’ kinda freaky, though. That’s all.”

I giggle. “Thanks James. I can’t guarantee I’ll stop smiling, though. I’m too happy.”

“About what?” Colton asks, eyebrows furrowed. “You’ve been strangely quiet all weekend.”

I send a look at Mick. “You didn’t tell them?”

Georgia already knows about Josh and me. I told Mick in person the day after. I was a little surprised to see that he was completely okay about it, and even wished well-wishes for us. After I did tell him, though, he excused himself and said that he had to go, but wouldn’t tell me where. I thought he had gone and told James and Colton, but seeing as they didn’t know, it made me wonder what he had done.

Mick shook his head. “Not my place to tell.”

Aw. “Josh and I uh, got together last week.” I grin. “We’re not like, official or anything yet. But we will be.”

James slams his hand on the table. “Finally. I thought I was going to have to butt in and push you guys together before anything happened.”

“Happy for you, Nat,” Colton says with a smile. “Though why were we the last to know?” He turns to Georgia. “Is this why you were giggly all weekend but wouldn’t tell me why?”

She nods. “Like Mick said, it’s not my place to tell. Besides, I was kinda hoping that you guys would have some big exaggerated reaction. Especially when you find out what Nat did with him at 2am.”

“What?” James yells. He grabs the attention of almost everyone in the café, but he doesn’t seem to mind. Or care. “Natalie Fader, what were you doing out so late with that boy?”

I glare at Georgia, who smirks in response. “Nothing like that. We hung out. And stuff.”

“And stuff?” Colton echoes. Sometimes I forget that he’s almost as protective as Mick or James. “What type of stuff?”

“Relax, Colton.” I say with a laugh. “We kissed. We didn’t like, have sex in the park or do anything like that.” This is true. Firstly, I’m a virgin so I wouldn’t do stuff like that, and secondly, that’s more a Georgia and Colton thing to do.

“Nah,” Georgia shakes her head. “That was us, remember honey?”

The rest of us, bar Colton, laugh.

“Order in the court!” James exclaims, pounding his fist on the table. “I have something to announce to you guys.”

“Wait,” I say, feeling something vibrate in my pocket. I check my phone to see an unknown number calling me. The group falls silent as I answer the phone. “Hello?”

“Hello, is this Natalie Fader?” An unknown female voice answers the phone. When I voice “yes”, she continues on. “This is Angela from the Victorian College of Arts in Melbourne. How are you today?”

My eyes widen. “Um, great! How are you?”

“Good, thank you for asking. We’re calling to inform you that we’ve seen your portfolio, and would like to invite you down to Melbourne for an interview. Would that be something you’d be interested in?”

“Yes!” I practically shout into the phone, but I don’t care because holy shit I got an interview to one of the best arts universities in Australia. “I’d love to! I’ll accept! I’ll come down to Melbourne as soon as I can!”

The lady laughs on the other side of the phone. “We’ll be emailing you with further details, but the interview will be held in the first week of December. Will you be available?”

I’ll be in Schoolies for most of that week, but surely I can stop by Melbourne before I return home for the whole summer. “That’ll be great! Thank you so much!” We discuss little details, and it’s only when I hang up the phone I throw a fist in the air. “Fuck yeah!”

“Who was that?” Mick asks.

“VCA! I got an interview! Me! I got a fucking interview!” I squeal. “I don’t even care if this makes all of you sad that I’m leaving, because I’m following my dreams! Yes!”

Georgia laughs and reaches over to give me a hug. “I’m so proud of you, Nat.”

“Same,” Mick and Colton say in agreement.

“Also same, but I’m a little upset now that you’ve overshadowed my news.” James pouts.

I raise an eyebrow. “Oh yeah? What’s your news?”

“Well.” James clears his throat. “After we graduate, I’m joining the army.”

All I can do is blink in response. The whole group – even Georgia – is silent. We’re all sitting there, jaws dropped because none of us ever expected this to occur.

“Congrats man,” Mick congratulates him, fist bumping him. “You’ll be great.”

“Congrats?” I repeat. “I say I’m applying to schools in Melbourne and you don’t talk to me but when James sends himself off to die, it’s okay?” Talk about double standards.

James leans over to ruffle my hair. “Don’t worry, Fader, I’m too beautiful to die.”

I stick my tongue out at him. “Seriously James. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for you, but like, why?”

“I want to make my family proud,” James explains, and immediately, we all understand. It’s no surprise that James has gone through some shit in his life, and it makes sense to why he’d want to go to the military if it means his family and especially his younger, impressionable brother, Joe, will look up to a man and not a boy who went to juvy.

Georgia has the same idea as I do when we place our hands over James’.

“Please don’t die,” I tell him. “You better come back alive and kicking. Seriously.”

“Yeah,” Georgia agrees. “We don’t want to replace you.”

“Fuck off,” James replies instantly. “I’m irreplaceable, bitch.”

We all laugh, knowing that this may be one of the last times we’re all together as a group before we go our own ways.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit

Hi hello this story only has one more chapter left before the epilogue so GET EXCITED because next chapter is graduation! AND NEARLY THE END WOW WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE