‹ Prequel: Rooftop Musings
Sequel: Set Sail
Status: finished | 5th sept, 2015

Where the Wind Takes Us

it's part of my charm

I spend the majority of my Saturday alternating between working on an English essay and making the coupons for Georgia’s present, which I’ve decided to contribute as my share of Colton’s present. At Sexyland yesterday, Georgia had bought a ton of sexy gifts which I paid for some as well, making sure to not be specific towards any particular presents. The last thing I want is for Colton questioning my choice of present giving, leading to some big thing about nothing. I originally had a present in mind to give Colton, but I’ve decided to contribute that towards my art folio and when I’ve gotten it back after the year’s finished, I’ll give him his part.

Once seven pm rolls around, I decide it’s time to take a quick shower and decide on my outfit: a dark pair of high-waisted skinnies, a black crew neck crop top and a pair of black pumps that feel like I’m walking in stilts. I thank mum silently for making me practise walking in heels when I turned fourteen or so, because now I walk in them like a boss. There’s no doubt that Georgia will have dressed up in some nice ass dress, but I figure she can look dressy enough for the both of us. I think I look good, and that’s all that matters.

Pushing a few gold rings onto my fingers, I grab my camera and stuff it into a cute shoulder bag with my iPhone, seeing the texts Mick’s sent me. I know that he’s outside waiting for me – when he doesn’t wake up the whole neighbourhood with his incessant honking, he texts me to let me know he’s outside. I don’t let anyone inside of my house, which is why Mick doesn’t even try.

“Where are you going?” Dad asks casually. He’s leaning against the kitchen counter expectantly, catching me off guard. I told mum where I was going but apparently she didn’t send the message onto dad.

“Colton’s eighteenth,” I answer slowly, seeing the familiar apprehensive look on his face. I know what’s coming, either he’s going to tell me I can’t go or he’s going to give me a list of rules that I must follow, otherwise I’ll be grounded, or worse. I get that I’m an only child, so dad seeing his ‘little princess’ go out must be hard on him, but I haven’t been his little princess for a while. I’m turning eighteen soon and his over concerning behaviour is frankly on the annoying side. Feeling a bit devious, I add, “didn’t mum tell you?”

The slow dawning look on his face tells me that mum did not in fact, tell him where I was going, and I don’t bother sticking around to hear his response. I’m not in the mood to be down tonight, when I know that this night is bound to be good.

“You look nice,” Mick compliments as I enter the passenger seat. “Got a hot date?”

I blush, but reply anyways. “Yeah, G’s pretty excited.”

Mick lets out a chuckle and starts up the engine, turning on the CD player for a mix that Colton made for him. Colton’s a DJ, so it’s no surprise that he constantly makes mixes for all of us to listen to – sometimes to judge his tracks, and sometimes just for enjoyment.

I can’t help but think how ironic it is that Mick says I look nice when I’m completely dressed up, yet when on free dress day when I had hardly any make up on and made less effort in my appearance, Josh calls me beautiful. Josh has been on my mind lately, though I can’t figure out whether that’s a good thing or not.

“What’d you end up getting for Colton?” Mick asks. We’re driving on the freeway and I feel like throwing my arms out the window like a lunatic, but I know Mick will probably berate me for it so I keep my hands in my lap. It takes about forty minutes to get to Colton’s place, but it’s worth it, because it’s Colton.

“I made some sex coupons for Colton,” I answer dismissively, until I realise how bad that sounds and talk quickly to cover up my mistake. “Not for me! For Georgia. Georgia wanted my artistic skills so she could give sexual favours to Colton and he could use it whenever he wanted, or something. I think it’s stuff they haven’t tried before, but I didn’t dare ask.”

“Trust G.” Mick snorts. “Is that all you got him?”

I shook my head. “I was thinking of drawing him something, but I want to give that in for my art folio. So it’ll be a delayed present, which he won’t know about until I give it to him.” I give Mick a long look. “So don’t tell him anything.”

“My lips are sealed,” Mick jokes, his eyes firmly on the road in front of him as he turns out of the freeway. “Is the art thing enough, though?”

I frown. “It’s sentimental. Colton isn’t like you, Mick. He appreciates my art.”

“Hey!” Mick protests. “Nat, I didn’t mean it like that!”

I cross my arms over my chest. If there’s anything I get defensive about (besides the usual), it’s art. Especially my art. I’m the type of girl to keep things in, and drawing or painting or showing something in an artistic form is my way of expressing my emotions, saying things I could never say out loud. “Whatever.”

Mick sighs in frustration, and we both stay silent until we get to Colton’s and he parks his car down the street, so we have to walk up to get to Colton’s place. I can already hear the familiar beats of Colton’s music playing (God forbid another DJ play their music). Clearly, the neighbours have been warned about tonight.

“Nat,” Mick turns to me. “I didn’t mean to insult your art or whatever, okay? I-”

But he doesn’t get to finish, because the door opens for me and I step out, only to be greeted by a familiar (and welcoming) face.

“Josh!” The enthusiasm to see him is real, and not just because I’m hurt at what Mick said. I know that’s exactly what he meant, because how else can you justify yourself? “You clean up nicely.” He’s wearing denim chinos, a dark printed green shirt that sets off his eyes nicely and Vans. And a backwards cap, of course. I hadn’t pegged Josh for the backwards-cap kinda guy, but I find that it doesn’t bother me – in fact, it looks quite attractive, if I say so myself.

Josh grins and pulls me into a tight hug, his hands steady on my waist. “It’s part of my charm.”

“I was going to get that,” Mick says in disdain. I hadn’t even noticed he was out of the car, let alone standing next to Josh and I.

“Were you?” Josh replies snidely and I can’t help but smile, biting my lip to resist the giggles coming on. Josh lets go of my waist and checks me out, his eyes raking appreciatively over my outfit. “You look bangin’, girlfriend.” Josh poses in a homosexual sort of way, one hand on his hip and the other flicking out, resembling a teapot of sorts.

I laugh in response, completely forgetting that Mick doesn’t know about me and Josh’s budding friendship – or whatever we are, anyways.

“What type of toys did Georgia end up getting for Colton?” Josh asks as the three of us – Mick on one side of me, Josh on the other – walk up to Colton’s house.

I wrinkle my nose. “She didn’t show me, thank God. But I did have to make the sex coupons so I do know what G offered to him, and I’m so scarred I can’t even repeat them.”

Josh chuckles. “Maybe you could act it out in the future, then.”

My eyes bulge open cartoonish like in surprise. “Josh!

We’ve arrived at the front of the door and Colton’s mum greets us, kissing us all on both cheeks before waving us inside. There are plenty of people circling the house, but it’s just us three in the foyer.

“I’m going to get a drink,” Josh says, touching my elbow gently. “See you later?”

I smile and nod. “Later, Carey.”

He winks, completely ignoring Mick before heading to the back.

Mick huffs in frustration, and finally I pay attention to him.

“Yes?” I ask, blinking my eyes innocently. For the sake of our friendship, I probably should have mentioned to Mick that Josh and I are starting to become friends, but Mick’s been annoying me lately and to be honest, I completely forgot that as friends, we should disclose that type of information with each other. Not to mention the fact that I’d yet to ask Josh about the fight thing the boys had this past week.

“What was that?” Mick frowns. “Why does Josh know about G’s toys?”

“I saw him at Sexyland when G went,” I explain. “We talked. Didn’t think that was a crime.”

Mick groans. “Nat, don’t you see that Josh is into you?”

I roll my eyes. “Stop being so dramatic, Mick. I’m going to go greet Colton. I’ll see you whenever.” And I walk off, leaving Mick alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
outfit

Since I've entered this in dec nano, you can expect more updates with this story. I hope to finish this story by february, but we'll see how this goes :)