Clarity

Somewhere Out There

“ELENA IF YOU DON’T GET UP IN THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES I’M LITERALLY GOING TO KILL YOU!” I heard Caity scream from outside my door.

I sat up in my bed groggily, not really wanting to move from my spot. My bed’s always 10 times more comfortable when I wake up than it is when I actually want to go to sleep. Running a hand through my hair, I looked around my room and stretched out my arms.

“Elena!” Caity shrieked.

I groaned, standing up quickly. “I’m up, I’m up!”

Stretching my arms out again, I walked out of my room and into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I heard Caity moving around in the kitchen, hopefully making us a semi-edible breakfast. Probably pancakes again. I wasn’t complaining.
I ran my brush through my hair gently, the straightened pieces of hair fall down behind my shoulders. I yawned, fighting the urge not to fall back asleep. Leaving the bathroom, the doorbell rang.

“Wanna get that? I’m making food,” Caity asked, not looking up from the pancakes cooking on the stove.

I groaned, but lazily trudged my way towards the door. Pulling it open, my eyes widened when a very attractive looking Michael smiled at me. “Hey,” he smiled.

Blinking a few times, I forced a smile back. “Hi.”

He licked his lips quickly. “I wanted to know if you wanted to go to lunch.”

I shrugged. “What time is it?”

He frowned, glancing at his phone. “11:26.”

My eyes grew again and I held up a finger. I speed-walked into the kitchen to see Caity putting the pancakes on a plate. “You let me sleep until 11?!”

She put her hands up in defense, shaking her head. “Hey, I got up at 10. I didn’t think you’d be sleeping in!”

I sighed and made my way back to where Michael was still standing, biting his lower lip subtly.

Jesus could he be any more attractive?

“Is lunch still an option?” I asked hopefully.

He laughed, deep and adorable. “Of course. Will you be going in pajamas?”

I shook my head, laughing a bit. “Can you wait ten minutes?”

“Of course,” he nodded.

I smiled. “Ok, you can sit down and talk to Caity if you want. I’ll be quick, I promise.”

He followed me towards the kitchen. “Hey, take your time.”

Quickly making my way into my room, I heard Caity offer Michael a pancake. I threw open my drawers, looking for something nice to wear.

Wait. Did I like Michael?

Shaking my head, I grabbed a pair of nice denim shorts and threw them on quickly before trying to find a shirt. I ran a hand through my straightened hair and took a deep breath. Throwing off my pajama shirt, I grabbed a tank top from PacSun that was blue and the bottom and become white midway with stripes.

I threw it on and ran into the bathroom quietly. For once, I decided not to go all full-on with makeup, and applied a light brown eyeshadow and a quick coat of mascara. I threw my phone and wallet in my small black over the shoulder purse.

When I got to the kitchen, Michael stood up almost immediately, smiling at me. “Are you ready?”

“Yeah,” I said, waving goodbye to Caity. Once we got out of my apartment, I saw his car in the lot. “So, where are you taking me?”

He shook his head, climbing into the driver’s side. “It’s a surprise. Hopefully you’ve never been there.”

“It’s New York. There’s lots of places I haven’t been,” I told him.

He nodded, backing out of the lot. “Have you been to MSG?” he asked.

I frowned. “Madison Square Garden?”

“Yup. You ever been?”

I looked out the window of his car, shaking my head. “Nope.”

He fake gasped, glancing at me quickly. “I’m gonna have to take you sometime.”

I felt my face grow hotter, and I looked down at my white high-top Converse. I felt his eyes look at me out of the corner of his eye, smiling to himself.

We arrived at a small diner at around 12, and by the looks of it, it looked like it was nice. And like I am most of the time, I was right. It was nice on the inside, not crowded, but not deserted. The man standing at the front took two menus and began walking towards a booth. Michael put his hands on the small of my back and led me first towards our table.
I sat down across from him, biting my lip as I picked up the menu slowly. “So. Do I get the approval?” he asked, smiling from behind his menu.

I looked down at the table, laughing. “Yes. You get my approval.”

He pumped his fist slightly. “Alright that’s good, right?”

“Obviously.”

He nodded. “Do you know what you’re going to get?”

I shook my head. He nodded, looking at his menu. He occasionally looked up, stealing quick glances when he thought I wasn’t looking. The waitress came soon enough, taking our drink orders. I was looking through the menu slowly, and it seemed a little awkward that we weren’t talking.

A few minutes later, he shut his menu and placed it down. “I know what I’m getting.”

I nodded. “Gotcha.”

He held his gaze on my face as I tried to figure out what I wanted. When I finally decided on a grilled chicken wrap, his lips grew into a small smile. “What?” I asked, my face flushing a light pink yet again.

He shrugged. “You were so focused. It was cute.”

Cue more blush.

Once the waitress came back with our drinks, she our lunch orders and left me and Michael alone to talk.

It ended up being nice. We talked about my job at Starbucks, his life, Carl and Caity’s growing relationship, and hockey. Somehow, it came up after Carl and Caity. He liked the New York Rangers, which I had never seen play.

“Are they any good?” I asked him.

He nodded slightly. “Yeah. They’ve been winning, so that’s good. April’s been doing them good so far.”

“That’s good,” I said. “When’s their next game?”

Michael licked his lips, thinking. “Well, they haven’t scored in the past two games, and their next game is tonight. Me and Carl have tickets, so we’re gonna go.” he smirked.

I smiled. “What time’s the game? Me and Caity’ll probably watch.”

“Seven. They’re playing Florida.”

I bit my lip slightly. “Gotcha. I’ll be watching.”

He smiled. “Good.”

We finished our lunch at 1:15, and he wouldn’t let me pay. Not even the tip. He said I shouldn’t be paying, considering he showed up unexpectedly. I tried to argue, but he barely let me even consider the thought.

I got back to my apartment at 1:35, waving to Carl as he left. I guess he hung out with Caity. Letting myself in, I saw Caity in a tank top and shorts, quickly trying to take her hair out of the bun it was in.

“So, how was Carl?” I asked.

Caity’s eyes widened and she snapped her head towards me. “How do you know me and Carl hung out?”

I frowned at her quickness. “He was in the parking lot when I got back. What happened?”

“Nothing,” she replied quickly, walking towards her room.

“CAITY!” I screeched, chasing after her. “You better tell me what happened!”

She groaned, pushing her hair to one side to reveal a giant purple bruise. My jaw dropped, and I swear my eyes probably would’ve popped if they opened any bigger. “Did you and Carl have sex?!” I cried.

“No!” she screamed, covering up the hickey. “He came over like, a half hour after you left and pounced on me. Not that I minded, he’s fucking gorgeous, but oh my god, Elena. He’s such a good kisser.”

I nodded approvingly. “Just don’t be a slut, Caity.”

“Hey!”

I walked out of her room towards my own. “Stick to your guy, and I’ll stick to mine!”

so i mean comments are greatly appreciated.