Let Live Again

Gone

"Jace! Wake up!" Robby yelled, grabbing ahold of my shoulder and shook me awake. "I need another damn cigarette. Wake up and get me one."

I sat up in my seat, sighing a little as I tried to become fully aware. My tired eyes searched the car to find his pack of cigarettes, and I grabbed them and opened the pack, finding it to be completely empty. "You smoked them all." I mumbled quietly.

"Fucking really?" he slammed his hands on the steering wheel and I flinched, sinking in my seat. Robby had a terrible temper and I was always afraid of what he'd be capable of doing over the littlest of things. "That's another stop we have to make."

We were headed to Northern California. Currently, we were in the southern end and we weren't getting anywhere fast from all the heavy traffic we had ran across. We were originally from Connecticut, driving across the country to see what was beyond that little state. Or for Robby's view of things: to go see old drinking buddies he hadn't seen since he graduated high school. I was just along for the ride. He viewed me more as an issue.

I pushed my legs out in the cramped space in front of my seat, sighing and rubbing my hands down my legs. "My legs are hurting, Robby."

"Stop bitching." he replied bitterly, gripping his steering wheel. "This is practically your fault anyway."

"How?"

"We would've been there by now if it wasn't for you whining, saying 'I want to see LA!' And if you would've gave me a heads up that I was almost out of smokes, I could of got some more at our last stop."

"You know what? It's not my fault you drug me along with you. I could be doing better things like sitting at home, enjoying my free time now that I'm done with high school. But no, I'm trapped in a car with you, not being allowed to have any fun whatsoever. It's also not my fault you're a chain smoker and-" I shut up quickly, soon after his hand came in for a swift smack in the mouth. I covered my face, tears flooding from my eyes.

"Shut the fuck up, okay? Then I wouldn't have to hurt you. You know I don't like to do things like that, Jacey. Don't drag things out."

I stayed silent, toying at my swollen lip with my tongue. I tasted the salty taste of blood and I grabbed a napkin, putting it over my mouth and cleaned up the blood oozing from my now cut lip. Robby sat there with a smug grin on his face. If I wasn't so weak, I would've fought back.

After being quiet for nearly twenty minutes and cleaning up my smudged make up, we finally rolled up to a gas station. He pulled the car up next to a gas pump and got out, me in follow. "I'm going to go pee while you get gas." I told him, making a quick dash away before he could say anything or even object to my idea. I went into the store, looking every inch over. It was full of snacks, beer, and cigarettes. A middle aged woman was working the counter and she was talking to a red-haired boy with tattoos, who was buying a pack of cigarettes and was leaning up against the counter. I walked up behind him, quietly mumbling to them. "Where's the bathroom?"

The boy whirled around, staring at me for a moment before giving me a small smile. "It's back there." he pointed to the back of the store.

I nodded, turning on my heel and stalked off. Once I was to the back of the store, I found the bathroom. Just as I opened the bathroom door, Robby came in to pay for his gas and his cigarettes. I went in quickly to do my business, washing my hands after I was done. I even took a moment to wipe off some more smudged make up. God, what did those people think of me? Once I was finished, I came back out and went to the front of the story. Robby was gone. I walked outside, stopping dead in my tracks. No, Robby really was gone. There were no signs of Robby's car in the parking lot. My eyes grew wide and I quickly went back inside, approaching the woman and the red-haired boy again.

"Did you see which way that black car at pump three went?" I asked desperately.

"The man came in and paid for his gas and a pack of cigs, then he got back in and headed back towards the interstate." the woman had said this time, raising an eyebrow. I received looks of concern from her and the boy as I turned pale white and my stomach knotted up.

"Oh.. Okay, thank you." I stammered out, walking back towards the door. I went back outside and sat on the curb, looking around the parking lot again. Realization hit me hard. He left me at a gas station in California. He had also left me with nothing. He took off with my phone, my money, my clothes, and everything. The thought of being left hit me and I started to break down into another violent sob. I cried for what seemed to be hours before I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey, are you okay?" a velvet voice asked. I turned my head, looking up to see it was the boy from the inside of the store. I shook my head, putting my hands over my face and continued to cry. "what's wrong?" he sat down next to me, patting my back gently.

"He-he left me by myself." I choked out.

"Who left you?"

"R-Robby, my b-boyfriend. He took all of my th-things too. I have n-nothing."

His ginger hair fell into his sincere styled face, and he nodded, still rubbing his hand up and down my back. "I know you don't know me at all, but you're more than welcome to come stay with me for the night until you figure out what you're going to do. Also, it's going to be raining soon and it's almost eleven. There's no way I could leave a pretty girl out in the cold and rain all night. Please, it's the most I can do."

"That.. is the most stupidest idea ever." I whispered, earning a chuckle out of him.

"I know, but I promise I'm just trying to help you, not hurt you."

"I trust you." I nodded, looking at him. "I don't even know your name though."

"I'm Alan, by the way. And you are?" he stood, holding out a hand for me.

"Jacey." I took his hand, letting him help me up.

"Now we know each other on first name basis. We no longer know each other as stranger." he laughed again and I smiled this time. "So stranger, will you please come home with me tonight?"

"Okay." I nodded, letting him lead me to his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi hi hi this is something new I came up with with everyone's favorite little ginger alan ashby. comment and let me know what you think so far pls

xo