Sequel: Celestial Cataclysm
Status: No matter what happens, keep fighting.

Wretched Apocalypse

Chapter Twenty Two - Finale (Ashley)

His body is failing on him, and I don’t know what to feel anymore. The thought of Andy slowly dying sickened me to the core. This entire journey has been full of emotions, love, loss, rage. Nothing can prepare you for what lies ahead. This may just be a part of life but this is not how I wanted Andy and I’s to end. Whenever he went for check ups at the hospital I would stay in our room and cry until I couldn’t cry anymore. Multiple times I considering taking my life for when Andy passed, but I know he would want me to live on, and it would be cowardly of me to give up so easily. Right now I was sitting, listening to Andy cough up his lungs in the bathroom. He told me to stay in the other room, in fear of how I would react if I saw what he saw. But I know what is was, clotted and blackened blood, the smell was horrible, I can’t imagine how it felt or how it tasted for Andy.
​​
“Ashley,” his weak voice called.
​​
I stood up from the bed where we’d made love the night previous to now. Honestly it was the most romantic night I’ve had in a while, but of course, it all faded when Andy started throwing up the blood. I appeared in the doorway as Andy turned around, drying his face with a towel as he looked over at me. His eyes were now white, his pupil still visible but they were no longer that beautiful sky blue that I remember.
​​
“I look awful don’t I,” he mumbled.
​​
“No, don’t say that Andy, you’re still beautiful,” I whispered, stepping forward.
​​
For once, I saw fear and pain in my lover’s eyes, it hurt me. He held his arms out to me as I wrapped my arms tightly around him and we embraced.
​​
“I love you,” he soothed, stroking my hair gently.
​​
“I love you too,” I replied, trying to hold back the tears.
​​
Andy pulled away as he placed my face in his hands and kissed me tenderly. I could feel the slight wave of fear he had in the way he kissed. I think he feared I wouldn’t want to kiss some sort of a ‘horrible monster’ as he calls himself. But I didn’t care, he was still human in my eyes, he was mine and I loved him, and I would love him even if I died today, tomorrow, any day, I’d still love Andy like I have for most of my life before I told him how I felt.
​​
“You have to promise you won’t give up when I’m gone,” he whispered into the kiss.
​​
“I promise,” I whispered back.
​​
Tears fell from my eyes as he kissed me harder, the passion manifesting its way through my body as I gripped to the soft fabric of his shirt. I wish moments like this could last forever. But they couldn’t, we had to face reality. Soon I pulled away as Andy looked down at me, a smile twitching at his lips as he wiped the tears from my eyes.
​​
“We’re going to meet CC, Jake and Jinxx soon for a drink. It’ll be our last drink before the big fight we’re about to take on with the remaining undead,” he whispered.
​​
I nodded as I moved from Andy’s arms, caressing his cheek softly.
​​
“And even if we die while in battle, promise you’ll meet me on the other side,” I mumbled.
​​
Andy nodded as he kissed me again before moving past me as we walked back out to the bedroom. He gave out a prolonged sigh as he stood by the window, looking out at the streets where some survivors were going to buy supplies for later on this afternoon.
​​
“You’re still thinking about him aren’t you?” I questioned.
​​
“Of course, he was my best friend, I watched him die, I watched him get cremated, how am I supposed to feel?” he replied.
​​
“You can feel whatever you want, I won’t judge you,” I whispered, watching him from the other side of the room.
​​
“I just-” Andy paused as he hung his head. “I just wish I could have saved him when I had the chance,” he continued.
​​
By then he’d finally cracked, shuddering gasps escaped his body as he lent his hands against the window. I didn’t dare move, I thought I should just leave him. But when those painful sobs raked through his body, the tears slipping to the floor, I gave in and rushed to his side. Andy slipped his arms around me as he rested his head on my shoulder, choked sobs leaving his mouth as I tried to sooth him.
​​
“You tried your best Andy, he’s in a better place now. Just think of how proud he is of you for protecting all of us,” I hummed.
​​
“I haven’t been protecting anyone,” he sighed, another gasp leaving his lips. “I’ve only cared about protecting myself and you. I’m such a selfish bastard,” he continued, his grip tightening on me.
​​
“No you’re not Andy, you’re ill and your mind will be telling you all kinds of things that aren’t true. Be proud of who you are, and what you’ve done. People may have died but think of those who you have led to safety,” I explained.
​​
Andy pulled away as I grabbed him by the wrist and pulled him back.
​​
“You’re a hero Andy, honestly, where would we be without you? Dead,” I whispered.
​​
His features softened as he smiled slightly through the tears from my words. I reached up as I wiped the tears away, taking his hand in mine as I placed it against his chest.
​​
“My heart is yours to hold, forever and always,” I spoke.
​​
“We were going to get married Ash, what happens when I go. That whole dream is gone,” Andy whispered.
​​
“Let’s get married today, let’s just say screw it and do it. Let’s be positive, let’s try and believe you’ll survive. Fuck what that doctor said, you can do this Andy, I know you can,” I begged.
​​
Andy took a deep breath as he looked at me and nodded.
​​
“Alright, let’s do it, let’s get married before the big battle, but first we’re going for those drinks with the boys,” he replied.
​​
I nodded as I gave Andy a chaste kiss on the lips before going to my duffel bag to get new clothes. I can’t believe we were going through with this. But it’s the last thing I want to do, just in case nothing goes to plan. But my heart is hoping Andy will damn well make it through this.
​​
~~~*~~~
​​
We sauntered into the bar around noon, ‘Slow Ride’ by Foghat playing quite loudly over the speakers. We’d all decked ourselves out in our gear for the afternoon’s battle, it sounds strange saying battle, but, how else can we put it?
​​
“Oi you two love birds over here!” CC’s voice yelled.
​​
“Who are you calling love birds?” I laughed as we walked over to the table they were at.
​​
Andy shuffled into the booth as I sat beside him, picking up the cold beer that was in front of us.
​​
“God that’s good,” I sighed as I took a huge drink from the beer.
​​
“Damn right, this stuff is the best,” CC replied, suddenly belching as we burst into laughter.
​​
“Classy CC,” Jake chuckled.
​​
“This will probably dampen the mood, but how are you feeling Andy?” Jinxx spoke.
​​
Andy looked at Jinxx who was sitting beside him and he placed his hand on his shoulder.
​​
“Honestly, I’m feeling better now, better than last night and better than this morning,” he replied.
​​
Jinxx nodded as he smiled slightly, looking back at his beer.
​​
“So when is the meet up?” I asked.
​​
“Around sun down,” Jake mused, biting his lip slightly.
​​
“Have you spoken to the others at all?” Andy questioned.
​​
“We passed Chris and Billie in the hallway, they’re getting stocked up on protective gear and more ammo. So they’re doing fairly well, they’re going to group up with us at the meeting,” CC explained.
​​
Andy nodded in response as he took a drink from his beer and I watched him carefully. He looked pretty irresistible right now and I’m not sure why. Maybe it was how the warpaint around his eyes pretty much made them stand out from the rest of him. Or how his cheekbones were more prominent from his lack of eating and weight loss. Other than that, he was just gorgeous all over. I shook my head to try and get the thoughts out, I shouldn’t be staring.
​​
“Man I slept like a baby last night,” Jake hummed.
​​
“With my help,” CC added, with a small wink.
​​
There was silence before Jake blushed furiously and we burst out laughing again as Jake started to have a petty little argument with his partner. I took another drink from my beer when I suddenly felt a hand slip on my thigh. I narrowed my eyes as I put my drink down and glared at Andy.
​​
“Don’t you dare,” I whispered quietly.
​​
“Bite me,” he purred, squeezing my thigh.
​​
I hissed through clenched teeth as I tried to pry Andy’s hand off my leg, now was not the time and place.
​​
“Ashley you alright, you look a little flustered?” Jinxx asked.
​​
“I’m perfectly FINE!” I shrieked as Andy’s hand slipped across my crotch.
​​
I blushed furiously as Andy chuckled under his breath and placed his hand back in his lap.
“You son of a bitch,” I grumbled, fidgeting in the seat.
​​
“Right,” CC replied, emphasizing the T.
​​
“Shut up Chuppy,” Andy hissed with a chuckle and a wink.
​​
“Oh,” CC whispered as he tried to contain his laughter.
​​
“Anyways,” I spoke. “Here’s to us, to our little family, to the band, to the fans,” I added, holding up my beer.
​​
“Here, here!” Andy exclaimed, putting his beer against mine.
​​
“To the family, to the band, to the fans!” we cheered, clinking our glasses together.
​​
We all took a sip before Andy stood up and offered his hand to me.
​​
“Who fancies a dance before we head out to this blood bath full of motherfucking zombies?” he questioned.
​​
I laughed as I took his hand and we all went to the dance floor as we started to dance to the heavy rock blasting through the speakers, on lookers cheering for us. This may be a life or death situation, but at least we’re having fun in case it’s our last. Our family, our band of brothers and my soon to be husband.
​​
~~~*~~~
​​
Battle; the hierarchy of combat in warfare between two or more armed forces, or combatants.
​​
Enemy; an individual or a group, that is seen as forcefully adverse or threatening.
​​
Survival; the struggle to remain living.
​​
Conquer; overcome and take control of by military force.

​​​​Gun fire ripped through the air, my breathing quickening as I ducked behind a building to shield myself. It was just on 5pm and the sun was beginning to set, the time we decided to strike on the remaining horde of zombies. Commanded by the military we did everything it took to get these bastards down. Andy had been made our team leader, he was doing a great job of course. There were about four other groups spread out across the battlefield, the military close behind.
​​
“Keep moving!” Andy yelled.
​​
My arms ached as I pushed forward, running for more cover while opening fire on the zombies. So far a few people had been injured by friendly fire, yet no fatalities. It was a risky task, but if it meant these bastards died then I was more than happy to risk my life. I always kept watch of Andy, just in case something happened, yet he seemed stronger than ever.
​​
“Open fire!” he roared.
​​
Our group stopped as we lined up, reloading our weapons as we fired at the horde. Their screeches erupted into the air along with the blasts of firearms. A few groups had Molotov's, setting some sections of the horde on fire. Rage burned in my veins as I reloaded my gun again and kept firing. My ammo had soon ran out and I was forced to use my crossbow, which was slow, yet handy as I fired one single arrow into three zombies foreheads.
​​
“Nice shot!” Chris yelled as I turned and smirked at him.
​​
“Cover guys cover!” Andy’s hoarse voice yelled.
​​
We ran behind another building as a loud blast sounded, dust following into the air. The military had set up several booms around the streets and we had only seconds to get cover. Debris would fly, hitting those who hadn’t made it in time, the first blast had few injuries, yet this second blast caused a few fatalities. Yet we couldn’t do anything, we had to push on. A battle cannot come to a halt, not with this kind of enemy.
​​
“Go! Go!” Andy ordered as we took off again.
​​
I gripped the blade I had in my hand as the zombies were soon become closer. I gave out a loud yell as I swung the blade, decapitating one after the other as they ran for me.
​​
“Ash duck!” Billie yelled.
​​
I quickly ducked as a gun shoot rang past me, a screech followed by soon after. I turned quickly as the zombies body collapsed beside me and I looked over at Billie, giving him a thanks as I got back to fighting. I suddenly felt Andy’s arm slip around my waist as he pulled me behind a car, another blast going off near where I was standing.
​​
“Holy shit, that was close,” I gasped.
​​
“I just saved you, again,” he chuckled.
​​
“Shut up,” I laughed as I got up.
​​
We climbed on top of the car as we looked out at the highway, more zombies coming our way. Andy turned to me as he grabbed me by my waist and pulled me close.
​​
“No matter what happens, you keep fighting,” he whispered.
​​
“But-” I stopped as Andy hushed me.
​​
His lips crashed against mine in a passionate kiss and I hummed as I gripped his vest, pulling him closer. He pulled away, breathing heavily as he smirked at me before he jumped off the car and ran.
​​
“Just keep going Ash!” he yelled before disappearing into the smoke that had formed from a small fire on nearby debris.
​​
It was now our time to just hammer these pricks with everything we had. I jumped from the car as I ran down the streets, opening fire on any of the creatures that came close to me. My breathing quickened as my chest tightened slightly, but I had to keep going.
​​
“No matter what happens, you keep fighting,”

​​​​Andy’s voice rang in my head and it only pushed me further.​​ He was the reason I had the strength to fight. He was my strength. And I was positive in getting us out here alive.
​​
“Ashley little help!” Brandon yelled.
​​
I turned as I saw himself and Chris being cornered by some zombies, trying to reload their guns. I gripped the blade in my hand as I charged forward, spearing a few through the throat before grabbing my crossbow and finishing the rest off.
​​
“Thanks man,” Chris sighed as he fixed his gun up.
​​
“Got any spare ammo?” I questioned.
​​
“Yeah here,” Brandon replied, handing me some from his back pocket.
​​
I thanked him as I quickly reloaded my gun, before turning to look out at the highway again.
​​
“What’s happening now?” I asked.
​​
“The military are going to open fire with the tank they have set up at the end of the road,” Chris answered.
​​
“What! Are you kidding me? Andy just ran that way!” I yelled.
​​
Chris’ eyes widened as my heart lurched in my chest.
​​
“Get ready men!” an officer’s voice yelled.
​​
Fuck.
​​
“Come on!” Brandon yelled.
​​
My heart started pounding in my chest as we ran down the road, our feet hammering on the tarmac. This is not happening, this is not happening I thought to myself. But it was, and what if we didn’t make it? I shook the negative thoughts from my head as we continued down the road, the military tank soon coming into view.
​​
“Ashley!” Jake yelled.
​​
My eyes darted to the left of the street, Jake, CC, Jinxx and Jack were standing there, panic ridden on there face.
​​
“Where’s Andy!” I exclaimed.
​​
“We don’t know! We bumped into him and he told us just to stick together then he started past us!” CC yelled.
​​
“Shit, shit, shit!” I cursed, looking around frantically.
​​
My entire body felt like it was going to give out on me, my heart tightening as Andy remained out of sight.
​​
“Where the hell are you?” I whispered.
​​
“Ready for fire sir!” a soldier called.
​​
No.
​​
“No!” I yelled, the officer turning to me. “You can’t fire my husband is out there!” I screamed.
​​
“Look, I’m sure he’s in this crowd somewhere, but this is our last shot. I suggest you stand back,” the officer ordered.
​​
“No! Don’t you even dare fire until I’m sure!” I roared.
​​
The officer narrowed his eyes at me briefly before turning around.
​​
“Ready when you are sir,” the soldier spoke.
​​
The officer once again turned to me.
​​
“I’m sorry,” he replied. “This is our only hope for everyone,” he added.
​​
Before I could say anything else, the loud ringing of the tanks gun fired. My stomach churned as everything seemed to slow. Everyone ducking with their ears covered as the noise became louder. I watched on as one after one, the zombies bodies dropped like bricks, some exploding completely and some losing limps. My throat tightened, crossing my fingers that some hope of Andy being safe was still there.
​​
“Bring out the big one!” the officer yelled.
​​
The soldier nodded as he tucked inside the tank, the wheels rolling forward slightly before stopping. Suddenly it hit me hard in the chest.
​​
“They’ve got a bomb out there,” I whispered.
​​
“What?” Chris asked.
​​
“They’ve got a fucking bomb planted out there!” I shrieked.
​​
I went to run forward but someone’s arms wrapped around me and I started to flail around.
​​
“Let me go!” I yelled.
​​
“Ashley stop squirming it’s too risky!” Brandon yelled as his grip tightened on me.
​​
“No! Stop don’t fire!” I screamed, trying to catch the officer’s attention.
​​
“FIRE!” he ordered.
​​
My voice gave in as it was blocked out by the loud roar of gun fire. It zipped through the air, heading straight for the remaining zombies. I could hear my heart beat in my ears as the air soon erupted with a loud blast.
​​
“No!” I roared, my voice going hoarse.
​​
The smoke billowed in the sky, flames licking up into the air. I pushed out of Brandon’s grip as I ran past the tank, my legs raging with ache, but that was the last thing on my mind.
​​
“Andy!” I yelled.
​​
I groaned as my knees buckled and I dropped to my knees, discarding my weapons as I looked ahead of me. The sun blinded me slightly as it sat behind the hills, slowly dropping down.
​​
“Andy!” I called in panic, my heart pounding as I sat back, the smoke clearing slightly.
​​
As tears filled my eyes, I watched as the dark smoke cleared and it soon turned to a dusty grey colour. Suddenly my eyes widened as I saw a figure staggering from the smoke, his arm wrapped around his waist. Andy came into few as I started to cry tears of joy. His clothes were dirty, slightly tattered and his face was clad in sweat and blood. But a smile stretched across his face as he saw me.
​​
“Oh thank god,” I sighed, my hand on my chest.
​​
Andy’s eyes locked with mine, and all I could do was smile. I was about to say something until I saw pain cross Andy’s features. His face creased in pain as he suddenly coughed, heavy amounts of blood spluttering from his lips as he collapsed to his knees.
​​
“No!” I yelled, scrambling to my knees as I ran toward him.
​​
I could hear footsteps behind me but I didn’t dare stop. I dropped beside Andy as his body went into spasms and he gasped, more blood flowing from his mouth.
​​
“Andy, Andy! No, come on don’t do this to me!” I whispered in a choked sob.
​​
He writhed in my arms as he groaned, a painful yell ringing through my ears as he clutched his stomach.
​​
“Andy,” I sobbed, running my hand over his brow.
​​
His chest heaved as he stopped moving, his eyes locking with mine. A smile twitched at the corner of his mouth, a heavy gasp leaving his mouth.
​​
“A-Ashley, we m-made it,” he stammered.
​​
Tears stung my eyes as they rolled down my cheeks like a fountain, my sobs choking me up as I tried to speak.
​​
“Andy, please...don’t do this, stay awake,” I pleaded.
​​
His hand shakily moved up to my cheek as he caressed it gently.
​​
“I love you,” he rasped.
​​
I didn’t care that his mouth was covered in blood, I just wiped it away from his mouth as I lent down and kissed him with such passion. My eyes closed as Andy’s hand grasped my hair gently. I could almost hear his heart pounding, the tears still streaming down my face. He pulled away as I looked down at him, a few tears rolling down his face.
​​
“I love you too,” I cried.
​​
Andy smiled slightly as more pain stretched across his face, more blood being coughed up as my breath caught in my throat from the tears.
​​
“Please, no,” I sobbed, shaking my head.
​​
“I’ll watch over you,” he whispered, his hand slipping from my face.
​​
“No, no, no, no,” I pleaded, my grip tightening around him.
​​
Andy’s eyes glazed over as he opened his mouth to speak but all that came out was one, last, shaky breath. And he was gone, lifeless in my arms.
​​
“No,” I whispered. “No!” I yelled, my body shaking, the tears taking over as I sobbed hysterically.
​​
This isn’t how it was supposed to end. It was supposed to end happily, Andy and I living together, spending the rest of our lives together. I promised. I promised I would keep him alive. I’ve failed.
​​
“ANDY!” ​​
♠ ♠ ♠
So here it is. The end before the epilogue. You have no idea how much I fucking cried as I got to this bit, to Andy's death. Yet it leaves so many unanswered questions. Right? I literally have a lump on my throat and can't physically breath from all the emotion. I found time to finish it. I'm glad it's finished yet sad that it has come to an end. I'll write the epilogue tomorrow possibly, so you know what happened to everyone. Thank you for reading this it has honestly been an adventure. You're all amazing. Just wait until the sequel because there's a surprise waiting there.