Status: In the works :)

Sammy Boy

Chapter Three

Mac was woken up early the next morning by a slobbering dog kissing her face.

“What the…?” she started. She quickly realized it was just the dog she had brought home the day before waking her up.

“Morning to you, too, Sammy Boy,” she said. She sat up and rubbed the dog’s stomach. “Someone’s deprived of attention.” She checked her phone and saw there were no new messages. “Hmm, wonder why,” she rolled her eyes. “Your owner seems like a real dick. Now, who’s hungry?”

Mackenzie made her way to the kitchen and picked up the bowl she had laid out last night for her guest and refilled it with fresh water. She then grabbed another bowl from the cupboard and filled it with some Fruity Pebbles.

“Sorry booboo, not a very dog friendly menu.” She placed the bowl of cereal on the floor for the dog while filling one up for herself. Sam quickly stuck his face in the dish and made it evident that food was food, didn’t matter if Purina or Kellogg’s made it.

As she poured skim milk onto her own breakfast, she giggled at the dog; he seemed so happy to have company during his meal. Mac hit the home button on her iPhone and as her screen lit up, she saw there were still no new messages from Sam’s owner. Definitely a dick, she thought. She had called yesterday afternoon and here she was on Saturday morning with an empty inbox. Maybe he’s dead, she thought. Nope, definitely a dick.

She placed her bowl in the sink along with the dog’s and rinsed them off. She figured the dog would have to pee or something so she went into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth. She then grabbed a belt from her closet and fastened it around the dog’s collar.

Not too shabby, she looked at the innovativeness of her DIY leash with a sense of pride. Mackenzie grabbed her house keys, locked the door, and walked down the stairs and out of her apartment building.

“You got a dog!?!” Jacob yelled. He lived in the apartment across the hall from Mackenzie and was clearly just returning from hockey practice. His dad came up behind him carrying his tiny hockey skates, stick, and duffle bag.

“Nah, Jacob. I found him yesterday. I’m just waiting for his owner to call me back so we can get him home,” Mac explained.

“Oh,” the five year old’s face fell. “Well, I think you should keep him. We can take turns taking care of him!” He smiled a wide grin that consisted more of gums than teeth, not so much from hockey, but from the natural aging process.

“But, Jake, his owner would be so sad if Kenzie didn’t return him. It wouldn’t be right, understand?” Jacob’s dad, Jim, said.

“I understand,” Jacob mumbled while petting the golden-haired dog.

“Alright, well, I’m going to go let Sammy Boy do his business. See you two around! Say hi to the Tooth Fairy for me!” Mackenzie hi fived Jake and made her way down the block.

It was the perfect fall day. She wore a sweatshirt that honored her alma mater and looked around the city she now called home. Leaves were beginning to change colors and air was becoming crisper. The Steel City was charming and she smiled. The pair walked a few blocks until they arrived in the park.

“Oh my darlin’ Sammy Boy!” – Mackenzie attempted a southern accent – “This is where we first met! Be still my heart! It feels like just yesterday. My goodness! I suppose it was just yesterday!”

One day with a dog and she was already becoming one of those owners who talked to their animals; next thing you knew, they’d be dressing alike.

Sam did his business and they walked another block to a little coffee shop that had quickly become one of Mac’s favorite spots in the ‘Burgh. She paid for her coffee and was on her way back to her house when her phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Hi, is this Mackenzie?”

“Yes, it is. Is this Sam’s owner?”

“Yeah. Um, I was hoping we could arrange to meet up and do the swap.”

“That would be fantastic. When and where?”

“Well, I’ve actually got a meeting today so I was hoping you’d be willing to watch him a little longer. We can meet at four in front of Scoops Ice Cream Shop.”

Mac scoffed. Definitely a dick.

“Alright. See you then.”

Click. Click. The phones disconnected and Mac wondered what kind of “meeting” lasted from nine in the morning until four in the afternoon. Probably wants a free dog-sitter for the day. She looked down at the dog walking alongside her.

Still talking like a southern belle, she said: “Oh, Sammy Boy, your owner seems to be well, a dick.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think! I would really appreciate any feedback: positive or negative! Xox, Anna