Touched by an Angel, Though I Fall Out of Grace

Eight

Behind the thicket of trees, there was a cave looking over the Atlantic Ocean, which the moon and stars were shining over it. I looked to Gerard and he was looking down at me with a smile on his face, I retuned the gesture and looked back to the rushing water.

"Well... do you like it?"

"Yeah, it's beautiful," I whispered, still taking in the beauty I was seeing.

Gerard let go of my hand and sat down on the ledge of the cave, patted the spot next to him and said, "You wanna sit with me?"

I bit my lip and pulled at a piece of my hair. I nodded and sat next to him, suddenly feeling shy. Slowly, Gerard moved to wrap his arm around my waist and I smiled to myself, leaning into him and placing my head on his shoulder. I felt his other hand inch closer to my knee to hold my hand. So there we were, sitting in a secluded stop, watching the waves of the ocean under the moonlight and starry sky. I could smell faint traces of cigarette smoke along with his cologne and inhaled deeply, loving the scent. This sounded like the perfect setting for a romance novel and it would have been if my cellphone hadn't gone off. 'Are you fucking kidding me?' I thought with a sigh as I pulled my phone from my jacket pocket. It was a text from my mom: 'Britt Nicole, it's past your curfew. I love you.'

I checked the time; I was only ten minutes past my curfew. I rolled my eyes and looked up at Gerard. "So, umm... my mom says I have to come home."

He sighed, "Do you really have to?" I nodded and he said, "Well damn, okay." He stood up and gave me his hand, helping me up. We walked back through the cluster of trees and got into his car. After he started the engine, he turned on the radio. I smiled to myself when I heard the opening lyrics to "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith. I grinned and settled into the seat, looking over at Gerard. I could see his lips moving, but I couldn't hear him.

"Gerard?" I asked.

He glanced over at me. "Yeah?"

"Will you sing for me, please?" I begged. Gerard chuckled, but began to sing nonetheless. When the song was finished, I smiled. Gerard had one of the most beautiful voices I had ever heard. He was looking at me while trying to keep an eye on the road when he asked, "Did that make you happy?"

"Yes, it did. Thank you," I said as he parked his car on my street. I sighed, not wanting tonight to be over. He got out and came to my door and hand-in-hand, we walked up to my front door.

"I had a great time tonight," I told him.

"I'm glad you did, and I did too," he said, his voice close to a whisper. "Can I have your permission to do something?"

"Sure, I guess," I answered, a little unsure.

Gerard took in a breath and then leaned in and kissed me on the lips. It was a short, sweet kiss and when he pulled away, he had a smile on his face, mirroring my expression. I stared up at him, still tasting his lips and wanting to kiss him again, so I did. I pulled him back to me and connected our lips. We stayed that way for a long time, no tongue involved, just kissing.

"I could do that all night," he whispered as we broke apart to breathe.

"Me too," I said, honestly.

"I should probably let you go in, huh?" Gerard asked and I nodded. He quickly pecked my lips once more before saying, "Goodnight, Brittany."

"Goodnight, Gerard," I said as he began to walk back to his car. I watched him drive away before opening the door and walking inside. When I entered the living room, I saw Damon and my mom sitting on the couch, watching TV, with Ares between them. I smiled at them and motioned for Damon to follow me upstairs.

As we were heading to my room, Damon said, "I wanna know everything."

"Why do you think that I asked you to come with me?" I asked. When we were in my room, I shut the door and began telling about my night. I was walking back and forth while changing clothes and I had just gotten to the part about our kiss and stopped speaking, smiling to myself.

"You kissed him, didn't you? Oh my God, I knew he'd want to kiss you, I made you look so damn irresistible!"

"Yeah, I guess I have you to thank. He's such a good kisser... like really amazing. I loved every second of it."

"Sounds like you had a good night."

I nodded and said, "And now, I'm tired."

"I'll let you sleep. Goodnight, Britt, love you," he said, leaving my room.

"Goodnight, love you too," I said, falling back onto my pillows. As soon as the lights were off, I fell asleep. And for the first time in five and a half months, I didn't have a nightmare about my father, but instead my dreams were filled with Gerard.