An Unexpected Twist

Mathieu

Mathieu
(Monday)

Things were going great. Practice had just ended and I got moved from being on the fourth line to the third line. That was a huge improvement! I would have almost double the playing time. I was on my way to surprise Tarin right before her shift was over at work. I wanted to ask her to be my girlfriend.

I walked into the store and saw Tarin. She was looking as good as usual. I walked up behind her so she couldn’t see me. “Excuse me miss?” She turned around.

“Oh my god!” She said. “What are you doing here?”

“Since your shift is almost over, I was wondering of you would come out for coffee with me?” I asked.

“Of course.” She answered. She looked almost nervous. She walked behind the counter to grab her bag and to tell Raina, the girl she worked with, that she was leaving. We walked to the Starbucks a block over.

We got drinks and sat at one of the tables outside of the shop. We talked for a little, then I decided it was time to ask my big question. “Tarin,” I said. “Can I ask you something?”

“Yeah.” She said. “Anything.”

“Will you be my girlfriend?” I asked. She looked almost like I had just punched her in the face. “Is something wrong?”

“No, nothing.” She said. She started to giggle a little. “I just wasn’t expecting that, but of course. I would love too!” I sighed. I thought for a second there that I was going to get rejected. I gave her a quick kiss, then we started walking back to the shop so she could get her car and drive home. We held hands as we walked. My life was just starting to get great.