An Unexpected Twist

Tarin

Tarin
(Monday Night)

When I got home, I sat down on the sofa, pulled my knees into my chest, and cried. Amy came over to see what was wrong, its not often I just come home and start crying. “What’s wrong?” She asked.

“Mathieu asked me to be his girlfriend today.” I said after I had stopped crying. “I said yes.” She gave me a what’s wrong with that kind of look. “I really like him, but it sucks because I have to tell him eventually and when I do he’s gonna hate me.”

“Tarin,” she said. “you know that making a baby is a two person thing. Right?” I nodded. “Then he’s as much to blame for this as you are.”

“I know. Just how do I tell him? Or what if I don’t tell him?” She looked confused. “That’s not going to work.” I sighed realizing something I hadn’t before. “What’s his team going to think of him?”

“I don’t know.” She answered. “But I‘m here for you no matter what.” I knew that, and my mom would be too, even though she couldn’t stay longer. She had to work.

“Will you come to the doctor’s with me tomorrow?” I asked.

“Sure.” She said. Then there was a knock at the door. I looked at Amy and she just smiled. She stood up to get it and it was John...with Mathieu. Amy looked at me and mouthed “I’m sorry”. Shit. I totally looked like I had just been crying. I tried to fix myself as best as I could.

All four of us sat and chatted for a while. When Mathieu excused himself to go to the bathroom, Amy looked right at me. “I’m really sorry. I forgot I had asked John if Mathieu wanted to come over tonight too.” I sighed.

“Its fine really.” I replied.

“If its weird, I can fake sick or something.” John was sitting in the chair next to her looking very confused.

“No. Just, um, should I tell him tonight?” I asked.

“Tell who what?” asked John. Then Mathieu walked in. I closed my eyes as Mathieu sat down next to me.

“What’s wrong?” He asked. I looked over at Amy. She grabbed John’s hand.

“And this is where we leave.” She said as she lead him into the kitchen. I looked over at Mathieu. He looked nervous, almost worried about what I had to tell him. I looked him right in the eyes.

“I have a few things to say before I really tell you what’s going on.” He nodded his head. “I really like you and have had so much fun spending time with you. I really want to be your girlfriend, but I don’t know what you will think about this. We haven’t been together for that long, or known each other for that long, but I really would love it if you would stick with me through this.” I took a pasue and a deep breath. “I’m pregnant.”