To France With Love

Finals and Conversations

I was woken up by Rafa’s alarm at 9am on the day of the French Open Final. I grabbed his arm out of excitement and kissed him on the cheek. “Good morning!” I squealed when he rolled over to face me. I couldn’t understand how he could contain his excitement or nerves, I could hardly contain mine and I wasn’t even playing.

We talked for a few minutes, then Rafa went to go shower. By now, I pretty much knew his pre match routine. He took a morning shower, then he ate a light breakfast, stretched, iced and taped his knee. After that, he stayed in the training room to be with his coach, and I left to change and to give him space to do what he needed to.

I didn’t think today was going to be any different. Rafa seemed a little tense, but other than that he was completely normal. I scrolled through my phone while he showered and changed. I talked to my family yesterday. My mom and dad seemed to like Rafa, and so did my brothers who I had talked to the other day.

Rafa did his usual routine allowing me to stretch with him, which was always fun. Then we went to the physio room and he got his knee taped. We sat for a few minutes, then Uncle Toni came in, which was my cue to excuse myself. I gave Rafa a big hug and whispered, “Good luck.”, in his ear then kissed him quickly. I greeted Uncle Toni, then exited the stadium and went back to the hotel.

I wondered how I was going to be able to stand waiting for this match! I showered, put on nice clothes, even blow dried my hair, which took twenty minutes on its own! Finally, after three agonizingly long hours, it was time to go to the match!

I rode to the court by myself, but when I got there I met Uncle Toni and Rafa’s family in the players’ box. I got a dozen compliments on my Roland Garros themed outfit. I wore a navy blue skater dress, an orange patent leather belt, matching orange patent leather pumps, topped off with an orange and white neck scarf tied around my neck. I felt like the posh, model girlfriend, and I loved it!

The match started, and went by in a blur, until when Rafa was going to serve for the second set. He had already won the first set 6-3. A man with a flare ran onto the court. My heart skipped a beat and my stomach churned as Rafa ran to the back of the court to get away from the man, as security wrestled him to the ground. Even after the man was off of the court, I was still shaking. Rafa lost the game right after, but took the set in the next game. Finally he won the match in the third set with a return ace.

He fell backwards onto the clay in pure delight. I, along with the entire crowd, jumped to our feet screaming and cheering for the eight time champion of the French Open. He patiently talked to a reporter while waiting for the stage to be set up so he could receive his trophy. When he finally received it, he raised the cup over his head and kissed it, tears in his eyes. He had finally done it. My eyes welled up a little when I hugged his crying mother and shook his father’s hand.

I met Rafa in the hotel lobby when he came in. Even after so many interviews, autographs, and pictures, he was still beaming. I ran to him as soon as I saw him. I hugged him so tightly and I didn’t want to let go. “Congratulations!” I said as I finally let him go.

“Thank you!” He said as he took my hand and lead me towards the elevators and away from the photographers and press people that were swarming the hotel trying to catch a glimpse of one of the champions.

“That was some match.” I said as I sat down on our bed. Rafa laughed.

“Yes it was.” He answered. “That’s the first time I’ve had people rush the court with fire while I play” I laughed.

“And how are you feeling?” I asked.

“Good.” He answered. “Tired. Too tired to remember to get ice for my knees when I left the stadium.” He rolled his eyes.

“I have pre wrap and tape in my bag and i think there are some bags in the ice cooler and an ice machine down the hall.” I said. He raised his eyebrow.

“Okay then.” He answered while sitting on the bed as I jumped up.

“I’ll be right back!” I called as I exited our room. I headed down the hall towards the ice machine and filled the two bags with ice then tied them up. I walked back to our room and realized that I didn’t bring my room key.

When I got back I knocked on the door. As soon as I did, I heard a groan. The door opened a few seconds later. I feigned a frown as he peered down as me. He rolled his eyes and took the ice out of my hands and went to sit down on the bed. I grabbed my tape and pre wrap and went to wrap up Rafa’s knees.

I started with the pre wrap on his left knee. “Pink? Really?” Laughed Rafa when he noticed the color of the tape.

“What?” I asked. “Its very cute.”

When I finished his knees, I put a pillow under them both and moved next to him on the bed and allowed him to put his arm around me and fall asleep.

When he woke back up and cut the tape and bags of melted ice off of his knees, Rafa and I decided that we were just going to order dinner up to our room and lay low for the evening. There was a champions dinner tomorrow that we would both go to. Thank goodness I brought my fancy dress.

We finished eating and then we decided to go down to the hotel pool, because why not? We went down and thankfully there was no one else there. I took off my t shirt, revealing the bright colored, paisley bikini I was wearing. Rafa took off his shirt and jumped right in. I took a breath and jumped in right behind him. When I came up from under the water, Rafa swam over and put his hand on my waist. I put my arms around his neck and he kissed my head. I closed my eyes as he began to kiss my lips. I loved feeling close to Rafa especially now that he was out of his tournament mindset, but I had a little apprehension. What was going to happen now that the French Open was over and we both had places to be, that just so happened to be in different countries. I pushed that thought out of my mind as Rafa pushed me up against the wall of the pool.

Our moment was interrupted when the pool door opened and a family walked into the pool deck. Rafa pulled back from me and kissed me on the forehead. We moved from the pool onto the hot tub for a few minutes.

When were putting our clothes on to go back to our room, the father of the family approached Rafa. He asked if Rafa would take a picture with his two kids. Of course Rafa said yes and graciously took the picture with the ten year old boy and seven year old girl.

Afterwards, Rafa put his arm around me and we walked back to our room. "Sorry.” He said when we got out of the pool area and into the hallway.

“It’s completely fine.” I said. “That was really nice of you, and I didn’t get attacked by a mod this time. Which was fine by me.” He laughed, but then his face got very serious. I looked up at him. “What?” He looked down at his feet.

“I really don’t want to talk about it.” He said. I knew exactly what he was thinking about.

“I know.” I said, touching his arm. He sighed as we walked back into our room. He sat down on our bed.

“I know I’ve only known you for a month, but the thought of you going back to the US and me being in Spain is painful.” He said. “I don’t want to leave you. I love you.” I sat next to him and took hold of his hand.

“I don’t want to leave either, and I can’t bear the thought of living across an ocean from you, but I have to. You have to train in Spain, and I have to stay in America to start my career. I will Skype you every night and when I can I will be able to move wherever I want.” I said. “I will still be playing with Maria come Wimbledon, and I’ll see you.” I buried my face in his chest. “I love you so much.”

“I will talk to you every day. I promise.” And with that, I fell asleep in Rafa’s arms. In a day I would be leaving France to go back to my normal life. A life I wasn’t so sure I would want to be able to handle anymore.