No One Called the Devil a Liar

Always Lost

“What’s your name?” The older man asks.

“Dyllan,” I reply, my throat is sore and my voice cracks.

“Dyllan, how old are you?” He asks. I hold up seven fingers. “You’re seven?” He asks and I nod. “Dyllan, my name is Officer Taylor. I’m going to get you out of here.” He says and reaches for me. I flinch away. “Its okay, Dyllan. I’m not going to hurt you.” He says, looking me in the eye. His eyes are a soft blue and gentle. He slowly reaches for me. I let him pick me up and wrap my arms around his neck. When we pass through the living room, he tells me to close my eyes. I do at first, but as we exit the house I open them; just enough to see my mom lying on the floor. The stench is unbearable and I hold my breath. Her body is motionless, battered, and covered in bruises and blood. I don’t look away. I don’t cry. I just stare.

~~

“What the fuck!”

I’m startled from my sleep. I open my eyes. I’m greeted by the sun and my head begins to throb. I
roll over, pulling the sheet tight around myself.

“Shit,” He sighs. I watch Alex toss around the clothes and garbage on the floor, looking for something.

“What are you doing?” I ask.

“I can’t fucking find it.” He says and sits at the edge of the bed. His head is in his hands. I sit up and move to rub his back.

“I’ll help you look.” I suggest.

He shrugs me off. “No. I know that shit head fucking took it. I knew you shouldn’t have let him crash here.” He stands up and leaves to the bathroom. I slouch and look at the floor. My eyes dart around the room until I spot it; sitting on the floor in front of me.

Alex comes back from the bathroom, his hands on his head. “I knew it, I just fucking knew it.”

I lean down and pick up the small baggy. Alex sits on the edge of the bed. I crawl over to him, wrap my arms around his neck, and hold the little baggy in front of his face. He takes it out of my fingers and turns towards me and smiles.

“I fucking love you, you know that?” He says. I smile and he kisses me. He stands up and grabs a book. He sits back down and I watch him pour the rest of the bag’s contents onto the book cover. He grabs a razor from the night stand and separates the powder into two lines. He sets the razor
back on the night table. He leans down, plugging one nostril, and snorts one of the lines. He hands the book to me and I do the same.

Alex takes the book from my hand and sets it to the side. He leans over me and kisses me, gently at first, but quickly getting rougher. He’s getting needier; I can feel him against my inner thigh. It’s not long until he’s undressing me, and me, him. We’re moving fast and it’s all blurry; a long, sensual, blur. One moment we’re kissing passionately, another he’s inside me, and another he’s walking away and I’m left on the bed hot and restless.

I lay in bed for a moment, catching my breath and staring at the ceiling. I lay motionless until Alex comes back into the room. I watch him as he picks up some clothes.

Alex is handsome. He has shaggy brown hair and dark grey eyes. He’s not too tall, but is a bit muscular, though not much. His teeth are perfect, and when he smiles, he has one slight dimple on her right cheek that I think only I notice. I space until I hear the shower start and decide to join him.

~~
“We have to meet with Lief today, and later we’re going to a party at Ashley’s.” Alex says as I’m looking around for something to wear.

“When?” I ask and pull on a pair of black jeans.

“In an hour,” Alex says and sits on the bed. He puts on his shoes and ties them. I find a grey t-shirt and put it on.

“Who’s going to the party?” I ask while putting on my own shoes.

“The usual people: Craig, Julie, Michael, Alecia…” He trails off and picks something from the floor, analyzes it and toss’ it back to the floor. I frown. I hate Alecia, and he knows it. She’s been after Alex for as long as I’ve known him, and sure as hell doesn’t care that we’re together. I know they’ve hooked up once at a party, but ever since, she hasn’t stopped obsessing over him. I deal with it. I’m not one for drama, and I know Alex is faithful.

I finish lacing up my shoe and we leave. It’s a warm spring day and we walk hand in hand down Main Street. We meet up with Alex’s best friend Lief at a skate park down town. He’s standing at the top of one of the ramps when he sees us. He skates down and does that bro-shake most guys do when they greet each other.

“What are you guys doing today?” Lief asks.

“Not much, really, just hanging out until Ashley’s party later. Are you going?”

“Probably, when are you going?”

“Nine or ten, I think.”

“Yeah, I’ll probably go then. I’ll just go with you.”

“Cool. Well I think we’re gonna go get something to eat.” Alex says and tugs my hand playfully. “You wanna come or do you want to meet up later?”

“I’ll meet up with you guys later. I’ll be here, so just stop by when you want to go.” He says and skates off.

Alex turns to me,” Where do you want to eat?” I shrug and smile. He kisses my lips softly and begins walking.

~~

It’s almost eleven when we finally get to the party. Alex had to meet with his dealer before. We smoked some when we met up with Leif a bit later then got lost on the way to Ashley’s. The vibes are good and it makes my high that much better. I sit on the couch next to Lief while Alex gets me a drink. He returns with a bottle and some shot glasses in hand. He sets them on the coffee table and fills them all. We all take one and he pours another. We enjoy ourselves for a bit when Alecia shows up.

“Hey Alex,” She says with a big grin. Her blonde hair was teased high on top of her head and her make up made her look like a stripper. It didn’t help that she was only wearing shorts and a bandeau.

“Hi Alecia,” Alex replies and gives her a small hug.

“When did you get here?” She asks with a little bounce, making her oversized breasts bounce with her.

“Uh, an hour or so ago. You?”

“I’ve been here for a while and didn’t even notice!” She giggles and nearly knocks Alex over. She was wasted. I stand up and move to Alex’s side. “You brought her.” She says and gives me a look.

“Yeah,” Alex starts. “She’s kind of with me?”

“Well, I still think you should ditch the sixteen year old and be with a real women,” She says and purses her already pout lips.

“Back off,” Alex says and wraps his arm around my waist. “We’ll never be together.”

“Don’t act like you didn’t like it when we were.”

“I might have, but that was over two years ago. Just leave us alone.”

“Whatever. Like I said, when you want a real woman, you know where to find me.” She says and walks away.

Alex grabs my hand. “You wanna step outside?” I nod and he leads me out the back door. We sit down at a picnic table and he lights up a cigarette. I stare at my hands in my lap.

“What’s wrong?” He asks. I shrug. “Is it something Alecia said?” He asks. I avoid eye contact and pick at the hem of my shirt. “Well?”

“I don’t know. I can’t act like the age thing isn’t a problem.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I mean, that you’re twenty-five and I’m sixteen… I can’t say I don’t ever think you’re going to leave me for someone your age.”

“I don’t care about your age.” He says and flicks his cigarette. “If I really cared, we wouldn’t be together.” He reaches for my hand, but I pull it away. “Really? I’m with you and no one else. You don’t act your age and you’re always the one to say that age is only a number.”

“I know, but-“

“But what?”

“I don’t know.” I sigh and look away.

“Whatever. I’m here to enjoy myself. Don’t fucking ruin it. If you want to sit out here, fine, but I’m going back inside.” He gets up and leaves. I stay seated there and stare at the house. Eventually Leif comes outside and sits with me. He hands me a drink and I sip from it.

“Where’d Alex go?” He asks and takes a little baggy out of his pocket. He takes a little powder on his finger tip, sticks it up to his nose and sniffs. He offers me some. I take a little on my finger and rub it between my lip and my lower gums. I shrug.

“He said he was going back inside.”

“Oh, guess I missed him then.” He says and looks at the sky. “Beautiful night.”

I look up. It is. I nod and look at Leif. “Do you think she’s right?”

“Who, Alecia?” I nod. “Don’t worry about her. She’s always wanted what she can’t have.”

“But don’t you think I’m too young for Alex?”

“Do you think that?” I stare at Leif. It really doesn’t matter what they think, it’s what I think. And I love him. I shake my head.

“All that matters is love. If you guys have that, then nothing, not age or stupid girls, matter.” He says and gives my arm a nudge. I smile at him.

“Thanks.” I say. “I’m gonna go find him.” I get up and leave. I finish off the drink Leif gave me and toss it in the trash. I walk from room to room, looking for Alex. He’s not downstairs, so I make my way upstairs. I check almost every room and don’t find him. As I approach the last door I realize, I haven’t seen her either. I press my ear against the door and hear a giggle. I take a step back, then push the door open. It’s dark, but there he is, and there she is. They stop moving when they see me. I just stare for a moment, and he stares back, then I walk away, without a word.
♠ ♠ ♠
First story in awhile, leave me comments, criticism, and other good stuff.