Status: entry for mibba's first annual big bang.

Azalea

detroit

Azalea was from Detroit. She spent the entire car ride trying to convince me to turn back - we can tell them we got lost - but eventually, we made it to her house. It was pretty, I guess, with snow on the trees and a tan house in the background. There were lights up and a few cars in the driveway.

"Home sweet home." Azalea glanced at me and sighed. "You know we can stay in a hotel. They're not that expensive."

"Your parents are going to feel bad."

"They always feel bad." I unlocked the doors and shut the car off. "Kibum."

"What's the worst thing that could happen?"

Of course, I thought that she had exaggerated a little. She was actually pretty spot on.

Her mom wanted to know everything and her dad grumbled something about how we better be sleeping in seperate rooms (or else) and her sisters and brothers - she was the youngest of five - had all these kids so there were just kids everywhere, but the food was pretty great. It wasn't so bad. Her parents were actually pretty sweet, even if her mom did kind of interrogate me and her dad was all sullenly mad. And her siblings were pretty nice, for the most part. I don't remember not getting along with anyone.

Her parents anniversary party went pretty well. For once, Azalea actually wore something that wasn't black - a yellow dress with flowers. I remeber because it was something different and I didn't think that someone could ever look so good in yellow ever. And then, while we were eating dinner, her sister Rosemary - all her sisters were named after flowers, and her brother was named Rory - asked her when she was getting married. And everyone looked at us pointedly as I almost choked on my food.

I hadn't ever given that serious thought. I never even thought I was getting married because I just... didn't I guess. But her family was big on family, after all, so I guessed they were big on getting married.

"Well?"

Azalea laughed nervously, looking at me.

"That's not - we shouldn't talk about that at the dinner table, I don't think." She smiled and almost drained her wine. "Can you pass the peas, please?" I slide the bowl of peas over. What we were supposed to say.

"So? C'mon!"

"Rose, cut it out."

"What? I'm not doing anything. I'm just asking 'cause I'm curious. You're not going to be young forever."

"I don't need to be married to anyone to be happy."

"But what about your boyfriend? Don't you guys want children?"

"I - maybe someday, why not?" I said hesitantly, shrugging a little. "But we're young now, and I think we just wanna enjoy that, maybe. I don't know."

"Well, just remember: the Lord sees everything." Rose hummed as she went back to her food.

"Yeah, I'm sure he sees all those pieces of cake you eat at like three in the morning when you're supposed to be on a 'diet' too." Azalea grinned and squeezed my knee. "Isn't that how it works?"