Status: Story will be updated regularly.

Trouble in Paradise

In A Moment More Before We Break

“Come on Rhys. I got to get my results to see if I can go back to work again.” Emily told her little toddler trotting along beside her. Matt had been in charge of dressing his son this morning and he ended up looking like a mini version of his father. Jeans, band t-shirt and baseball hat.

Walking into the office, she nodded at the receptionist with a smile as she sat herself and Rhys down in the chairs. Emily picked up a magazine but she couldn’t concentrate, her mind was somewhere else. Her mind was on work. Her heart started to race just thinking about being back.

“Emily, we are ready for you.” The older nurse called out. Standing up, Emily looked at the nurse, who had been calling her name out for the past twenty years and wondered if she loved her job just as much as she did. Emily automatically walked into the usual doctor’s office and sat down awaiting her results.

“Hello, Emily, hello Rhys,” the doctor smiled at the two, who’d already made themselves comfortable. “Sorry my father isn’t here today. Last minute holiday, you know what he’s like.”

“I suppose you’ll do,” Emily smirked; she wouldn’t have cared if the results came out of a donkey’s ass. Rhys knocked over a leaflet stand. “Rhys,” she snapped, more than she meant to. “You are not to do that. Jesus Christ, I’m sorry John.” She said grabbing them all as fast as she could. “Now results.” She told him, shoving all the leaflets onto his desk.

“Okay, if you’re sure.” The childhood friends stared at each other momentarily. John knew that Emily never wanted kids and even now seeing her with a child, she just looked plain awkward. “Right,” he said slowly picking up the medical file. He opened it slowly, watching Emily move to sit on the edge of her chair. “You want the good news or the good news?”

She groaned inwardly. “Just tell me, can I go back to work or not?” he smirked and flicked through the files again, just to annoy her. “Oh god, just tell me!” she growled, nearly ready to jump with joy.

“Well the good news is you’re as healthy as anyone could be and your fitness results came back perfect as well.” Emily sighed in relief and leaned back into her chair. “But... Emily I don’t know how to tell you this...” he shuffled awkwardly in his chair and watched Rhys as he opened his mouth to tell her the rest. “You are seven weeks pregnant.”

Emily shook her head, her eyes screamed with panic. “I’m on the pill. I never miss is. We always use a condom. This cannot happen. Not again. Are your sure that those are my results? They could be someone else’s -”

“Yes, I’m one hundred and ten percent sure that these are your results. Look against all the odds you managed to become pregnant again. Celebrate it, this baby really wanted to be in your lives... Are you okay?” her face was pale and her eyes seemed somewhat dead. Emily just nodded, not knowing what else to do.

“I... I have to go. I’ll call you. I need to think. This is just too much. I can’t...” she stood up and looked at Rhys. She picked him up with one arm and walked out going into auto pilot mode.

“Babe, is that you?” Matt called after hearing the front door open and slam shut. “Emily?” he called out more concerned this time. He walked into his son’s room and walked towards her as she lay their sleeping child down. “Ems...” he was starting to wrap his arms around her when he was pushed away.

“Piss off” she snarled, marching into their bedroom. Taking one hard look at her uniform, tears spilled from her eyes.

“Honey...” Matt spoke softly, taking her into his arms. “Babe, don’t cry. I hate to see you like this. Did something happen with the medical? Are you ill? Is it cancer? Don’t tell me its can -”

“It’s not cancer. I’m fucking pregnant. Again.”

“Oh Emily,” he breathed a sigh of relief. “That brilliant news. Baby number two. Maybe this time it’ll be a girl.” Emily couldn’t do anything but cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit : Walk Away - Funeral For a Friend

Thanks a million for the recommendations and the feedback. It means alot! :)