Kings and Queens

21

Mike’s POV

I knocked on Bridgette’s front door and stepped back. I wouldn't say I was nervous, but I had some jitters in my stomach. Waiting a minute with no answer, I knocked again, but to no avail.

Was everything okay? I checked my watch. Nope, I was on time.

Just as I was about to bring my knuckles up to the door for a third time before calling her, the door swung open.

“Sorry! Sorry!” Bridgette’s hair was curly and her lips were red. “I was listening to this stupid voicemail for, like, the millionth time and-,” I cut her rambling off with my own mouth.

“Don’t worry about it,” I assured her, still cupping her face. “You look… wow.” I took in her outfit and gulped at the top of her dress. It was one of those bodices that pushed up a girl’s chest and had dangerously thin looking straps.

“Am I underdressed? Or is it a little festival-y? I wasn’t sure,” she tugged at the black skirt that hit her mid-thigh and tapped the toe of her ankle high boots on the ground.

“No,” I assured her. “No, you look perfect. I’m the one that doesn’t look good enough.”

“Fishing for compliments, Richards?” she teased. “You look like you can be seen with me.” We both shared a laugh.

“Well that’s a relief,” I mused and helped her into her jacket.

“Do you mind?” she extended her iPhone. “It won’t fit in my clutch.”

“I can’t be held responsible for the annoying selfies and or any twitter hackings,” I warned.

“I’ll take my chances,” she smiled as I helped her into my SUV, making sure she didn’t fall in her shoes. “Where to?”

“Someplace low key,” I explained. “Couple of the guys recommended it. It’s right by the beach so we can eat outside if you want.” I didn’t tell her that I spent a good hour texting various guys on the roster and asking about good places to take a girl that was going to be around more than just a few weeks. Which in hockey player land, was pretty serious.

“I like the sound of that,” Bridgette reached over the center console at a light and intertwined our fingers. “I finally heard from Langley.”

“Oh yeah?”

She nodded. “Yep. Her stylist and Jeff convinced her and Pens to meet somewhere. She basically spent the afternoon blowing time and bucking up the courage to go meet him.” Bridgette shrugged. “Just hope she’s not going to do something she’ll regret.”

“Her birthday’s soon right?” I’d her them mention it in passing and on twitter.

“Mhmm,” Bridgette said with her head leaning against the back of the seat. “She’ll be 26 in, like, three weeks.” Her eyes popped open. “Shit. That reminds me.”

“What?” I looked over concerned. “Everything okay?”

“I got this voicemail from my mom today,” she sighed. “I totally forgot that they were coming into town next week. I can’t remember if she knows.”

“Don’t worry about it,” I squeezed her hand this time. “There’s time to talk to your sister later.” I pulled into the parking lot of the beach side restaurant and smiled at the view. Perfect.

“Not bad, Richards,” she smiled. “Not bad at all.”

“So glad you approve,” I put a hand on the small of her back and led her inside and towards the maître d’s podium. I’d been relieved to find out that the man making reservations that afternoon was a Kings fan because they were booked for the evening.

It must have been the same guy because when we approached, his eyes went wide and he immediately stuck out his hand.

“Greg William’s,” he said. “I’m the owner. It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Richards."

I shook his hand and tried not to smile at Bridgette as she stifled a laugh. “This is my lovely date, Bridgette Washington.”

He greeted in the same fashion, just slightly less enthusiastic. “Let me show you to your table.”

“Fan boy,” she whispered as we followed him to the patio.

In the corner near a fire pit was a small table that had probably been set up for the two of us. We had the perfect view of the ocean. After settling into our seats with our menus, I assured the owner that I would have an autograph for him at the end of the evening.

“This view is amazing,” she said as she looked out on the water with the slowly setting sun.

“Not as pretty as the one I’m looking at,” I couldn’t stop the corny words from coming out of my mouth as I looked at her profile. Instead of looking back at me, Bridgette blushed and looked down at the menu.

“What looks good?”

Over the next two hours, we drank nearly a full bottle of wine, shared entrees, and talked about almost everything.

“You did pageants?” I guffawed as our waiter collected our empty plates.

Bridgette nodded. “Lang and I both did. Our mom won titles all through Texas before she married my daddy and opened the vineyard.”

“Can I get you any dessert?” our waiter asked with new menus in his hand.

I raised an eyebrow at Bridgette. “Do we?”

“Can’t so no to something sweet,” she drawled and smiled at the college age guy. “We’ll take a menu.”

We paged through it together before deciding on a slice of New York style cheesecake. As we waited, I found Bridgette squinting at me.

“Take a picture,” I joked. “It’ll last longer.”

She shook her head. “I’m just trying to figure you out. Sometimes you’re… a bit of a dick.” She shrugged. “And then you can also be this sweet, simple guy.”

“Most hockey players are pretty simple,” I explained. “And who says I can’t be multi-faceted?”

Bridgette brought her wine glass up to her lips and took a sip. “I never said that. I’m just trying to figure out your many sides. I like to know the people I hang out with.”

“Is that what we’re doing?” I broached the subject that I’d been thinking about all day. “Just hanging out?”

“I don’t think so,” she decided. “I mean, is that okay? We’ve kind of past the point of no return with the whole relationship thing.”

She had a point. We’ve kissed and I’d already considered taking her up on her offer of a hotel room so many weeks ago.

“Far enough,” I leaned over the table, her meeting me halfway, and kissed her lips quickly.

Getting through dessert, I reached for the check and my wallet.

“At least let me leave the tip,” Bridgette slapped her hand down on top of mine.

I’m the one taking you out,” I reminded her.

She pursed her still red lips. “Please?” Bridgette used her accent liberally with just that one word. Hearing it, I realized she could have asked me anything and I’d agree.

I nodded wordlessly and soon, we were walking out the front door after I signed a sheaf of paper for Greg at the maître d’ podium.

“Want to walk on the beach?” I asked, hoping for some more time with her.

But I saw her yawn. “I’m so tired.” She extended her hands against my chest. “Don’t think I’m trying to get away! That’s not what I meant!”

I laughed. “Relax. We can sit out on the deck back at the condo. I guarantee Jeff is out somewhere.”

“That,” Bridgette smiled. “Would be great. And thank you,” she pecked my cheek. “For dinner. It was wonderful.”

“My pleasure.”

In the almost nonexistent traffic, we made it back to the condos and were nearly through my front door when Bridgette stopped.

“Isn’t that Dustin’s car?” she asked and pointed to her driveway.

I thought for a minute. “Yeah, it is. I’m surprised he’s here.”

“Yeah,” her voice was quiet. “Me too.”

Bridgette declined another glass of wine and we gathered a blanket before going out back. Before we were through the glass doors, Bridgette stopped and I accidentally rammed into her.

She raised a finger to her lips and pointed towards her own patio. I followed her gesture and saw to figures together by the fire.

“Dustin’s there,” I attempted a whisper.

The dull talk we heard stopped. “Shut up!” Bridgette scolded me. “Maybe this is the part where she gets her head out of her ass.”

“Hey, you said so yourself, what she did was good and justifiable,” I tried being diplomatic.

“Still stupid since she sat around for two weeks like a bum and cried.”

I peered out the door again. “I wonder if they’re getting it on in there.”

“Maybe I should go over there and…”

I grinned wildly. “I think Dustin and Langley are adults and I really think they’re good together, don’t you?”

She paused a minute, “They probably could be.”

“Either way,” I started, “Let them be. We can continue our night at my place…” I took her by the arm and led the way back into the house.

“Was that just a ploy to actually get me alone?” she teased. “Because…” Bridgette wrapped her arms around my neck. “It worked.”

I smirked. “I think I’ve been pretty good all night, haven’t I? Very gentlemanly?”

Bridgette nodded. “Very. I was pleasantly surprised. You’re little sand incident has almost been forgotten.” She played with the hair at the nape of my neck, making all the other hair on my body stand on end.

“Well let’s see what I can do about that,” I pressed my lips to hers in a hurry, not wanting her to keep talking. It was true; I had been good all night.

I let my tongue graze her bottom lip and her mouth parted almost instantly. Within the next few minutes, I found that kissing Bridgette was fucking great. It left me wanting a lot more than I was getting. I moved my mouth to the side of her neck, by her ear and began pulling the zipper down on her jacket. I felt her hot breath against my skin and if all the blood wasn’t already flooding to my crotch, it was when I heard the tiny gasp she emitted when my teeth grazed her earlobe.

I pinned her against the wall and kissed my way back up to her lips, capturing them again. This time, I felt her own teeth nip at my bottom lip and I jerked back in surprise.

“Payback,” she grinned menacingly.

I kissed her roughly again and slid my hands up from her waist to her shoulders, carefully slipping the thin straps down. I grabbed for her thigh, hitching it over my hips. Her dress rode up and as I palmed that perfect ass, I felt her lace panties. But it wouldn’t last.

As I brought her other leg up and was enjoying the taste of her lips and the heat of her body, she pushed against my chest. At first, I was too occupied to notice, but when she did it again-harder- I pulled away.

“What’s wrong?”

Bridgette gulped a breath. “I can’t.” Her perfect eyes looked up at me guiltily. “I’m sorry. I probably led you on and… I’m so sorry.”

I heaved a sigh and rested my forehead against hers and put her back on her feet, but letting go of her waist. Back to being a gentleman.

“It’s okay,” I assured her, trying to be honest and ease the tension. “I’m a little disappointed I don’t get to see those lace panties under there.”

She breathed a sigh of relief. “Thank you, Mike.” Bridgette wrapped her arms around my middle and pressed the side of her head against my heart. “Really.”

I kissed her hair and take in the scent of whatever shampoo she used. “Don’t mention it.” That was a lie.

“I should go back,” she backed away.

“Aren’t you worried about, uh, catching your sister and Dustin?” I furrowed my brow. “Don’t you want to stay here?”

Bridgette laughed. “Of course I do,” she rubbed my forearms. “But I don’t think that’s a good idea. I’ll see you? Game tomorrow?”

“I’ll see you before,” it wasn’t a question. “Breakfast before I skate at eleven.”

“Deal,” I watched her slip out the back door, a lingering hand in mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry! I've been busy getting ready for school and homecoming. But here's the next one.

Let us know what's on your minds, lovelies!