Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Mistaken Identity

Mia stood beside the door not breathing, in fear that the vampires would hear her. They took care of her but hated her just the same. It had been years, yet she didn’t understood them, their plans or motives. So, eavesdropping had become a habit with her but that didn’t mean she was a bad person, it was only if she were ever caught but she had never been suspected even which is why she liked to fantasize herself as a ninja on a mission.

“This can’t be it,” she heard Rose say in angry, blaring voice that the walls shook but then again, Rose was always angry. It was Trevor who took care of her. “She’s ahead. That manipulating, evil bitch,” her voice was rising with every word. “4 years, we kept her with us for 4 years now, Trevor. 4 years,” she sighed in exasperation, “only to find, it was never the true Pierce,” she paused and took a deep breath before screaming again, “She was not Katerina’s family,”

Mia cringed when she heard the wood splintering after hitting the wall. Man, was she angry? Poor Trevor, she thought, bearing with her anger without an option. “Calm down, Rose. I know we were hoping for this day and it crashed on us but,” he paused, choosing his next words carefully, “but we have survived this long, we’ll do it again,” Trevor’s soft voice comforted her and judging from the next time she spoke, it had obviously worked.

“I feel bad, Trev, guilty…about Mia,” Now that captured Mia’s undivided attention as she leaned towards the door to listen more carefully.

“We took her to lure Katherine in and get freedom from Klaus and Elijah but,” she sniffled. Holy crap! Was she crying? Mia wanted to bolt in the door and see the vulnerable side of Rose. Somehow, it excited her to see the strong and dominant female she faced every day to break down like that. What could’ve possibly gone so wrong, she wondered.

“She was never Mia Pierce. We took her away from her family. We ruined her life and that real Mia…Maya Pierce is with Katherine, alive and well.”

Mia began to shake as she heard the words and they started to make sense. She thought Rose was her distant family. True, she hated Mia but she was family nevertheless. From their conversation, she got the idea that she was not Mia at all, she was Maya who was taken from her family, her real family...by Rose to lure in Katherine, whoever she was.

Drowned in the thoughts, Mia didn’t felt the impact when she crashed on the floor in utter shock and disbelief. Her eyes were wide and tear ran down her cheeks, her mouth hanging open.

“Mia! Mia. I’m so sorry. Believe me, we never meant to do this. We never wanted to do this to you. We…we thought you were Mia,” she paused and looked hard at Mia. “Mia!” Rose spoke softly, lifting her chin to face her eye to eye.

Despite all the circumstances, that was the first time she felt at home after her accident. Maybe Mia wanted Rose to accept her so much that a simple apology from her made her feel fine or maybe it was the knowledge that they didn’t mean to do this to her, that their apology was sincere.

It was hard to forgive them for everything they did to her but deep down she knew she already had in her heart yet, she couldn’t get the words out. Rose was dapping the tears off her face with gentle and careful fingers. “I am so sorry, Mia. We’ll make it okay for you, ok? We’ll make you forget. I’ll compel you to forget it all,” she said, less to Mia and more to Trevor, asking for his opinion and permission but the word compulsion had her the moment it escaped Rose’s lips.

“No,” she said in a stern voice despite her crying, “No compulsion. I need to remember this. This is my life, I can handle it.”

She looked at Trevor who seemed lost in thoughts and so sad, Mia felt for him. She wanted to forget it too and she wanted to comfort him but she held her ground. She needed to convey this message before she bared her other side, the soft and weak side. “I need to live what’s left in my way, Trevor. I love to study and making me forget will ruin everything I’ve stayed up late nights for,” she joked but failed miserably as they both still looked at her seriously. It seemed her attempt to make situation lighter had only inflicted them more pain.

She cleared her throat and nodded, “Help me make this life better, Please. You don’t have to make me forget,” her voice cracked at the last word and she looked away from them, folding her arms across her chest.

“It’s fine. We’ll take care of it, Mia. You’ll have money you need and you’re gonna be a great person, a great Genetic Engineer,” he smirked. Rose took Mia’s face in her hands and cradled it, speaking in the most sweetest of voice, “He’s right. You’ll have it all and we’ll leave. It’s for the best,” she looked at Trevor and turned back to Mia, “It’s for the best, Mia. We’re vampires and you’ve seen how we’re always on the run. You wouldn’t be able to accomplish your dreams with running all the time.”

Mia nodded slowly, “Can you, uh…find my family for me?” Mia startles them both with her question, “Look I know you’re vampires and I’m not going to tell anyone, I never did...in the last 4 years but if you think, that…that leaving is the best choice, then will you do it for me?” she asked in a small voice.

Rose looked at her intently and removed her hands from Mia’s face. Trevor gave Rose a single nod and she smiled as she stood up. Mia didn’t wanted them to leave. She’ll be alone if they left her too. They were all she had known in her life, she couldn’t remember her family. They were the only family she had. “I don’t want you to leave,” Mia mumbled. If not for their vampire hearing, they would never have heard her. “We’ll always be close,” Rose said as she joined hand with Trevor, "We’re going to find your family, Mia. It’ll be fine.”


Mia woke up in her bedroom. It was still dark and she groaned into her pillow. Couldn’t that vision wait until after she had met her family but that particular frustration aside, Mia finally knew the confusion between herself and Maya and why people kept calling her that in her previous dreams and why people thought she was related to Katherine Pierce, upon which she wondered, who was this Katherine and why would this Klaus and Elijah guys wanted her and why were they hunting Rose and Trevor.

The need to have the answers to all those questions lead her to one thing: Damon. He told her Rose was his friend and now that she knew Rose was looking for her family, she thought she might know about that and then she remembered Damon’s broken voice when he said, “She’s gone.” She was gone and maybe, so was Trevor and now, she might never get her answers ever.

Then another thought struck her, maybe she was recovering and soon would have all her memories back and she’ll know all things someday but she couldn’t wait that long and there was no guarantee she will ever get them. With her luck, she might get hit by truck the next day and lose her memories again.

She decided she would meet Damon in the morning, for sure. No matter how much he tried to ignore her which was exactly what he’d been doing for past 1 week. She had met Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, even Tyler and Stefan but not him, which gave her another reason, to see him.

An urge to see him was greater than the urge to question him but she would never admit it. Yet, she smiled in the dark, at the thought of seeing him and hearing his deep voice and see his devilish smirk. She shook her head and dropped her it on the pillow. It was a wonder this time, she felt fine after such a dream...she wondered why but she knew it was only the thought of Damon that did it. Her devil, somehow made her feel safe.