Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Old Friend

Damon sat with a bottle in his hand, his eyes reflecting pain and sadness. “It sucks, you know,” he said looking up at the sky, “everything about it.” He raised his eyebrows, staring at the name in front of him, “Why is it, that every time, I remotely like someone, they are so different and good and kind, compassionate and,” he was at loss for words, “amazing,” he finally decided, “that no matter what I do, I can’t stand beside them that…I can’t deserve them because they are way too better.”

He wrinkled his nose, “All the people in my life are saints, pure saints and now there’s a golden addition to it and it wouldn't have mattered to me but…but.”

He shook his head and pointed in front of him, “You, my traitor friend, left me with all this trouble, when I needed a damn friend to have a drink with me and advise me,” he snorted, “see, how idiotic I sound but you wouldn't have acknowledged it anyway, the advice part. You wouldn't do that, even in your death,” he paused and scoffed at the irony of his statement, taking a deep sip of whiskey before continuing, “That I gave you an opening for Meredith, your vamp blood-jacking hot doctor,” he shook his head and raised his bottle as a toast, “To life that sucks, mortal or immortal.”

A small chuckle tore through the silence and he suddenly looked back to see the person who interrupted his talk with Alaric. Meredith held her hands up as in surrender, “It’s just the blood jacking hot doctor,” she announced.

“What are you doing here?” he asked annoyed. “Same as you are. To talk to him, feel close to him, to tell him what’s going on in this world, to seek some peace and comfort, to think…” she kept saying it like she had memorized and now was listing him a grocery list.

“Yeah, I get it,” he stopped her. “So, who’s the girl?” she asked, her eyes fixed on the head stone. “Eavesdropping now. How many of your vices am I gonna uncover?” he asked with a straight face. “It’s just a regular person activity. You were talking, I heard. No big deal,” she chuckled.

“Nope. Not at all,” he retorted. “Anyway, you didn't answer me?” she asked again.

“It’s none of your business now, is it?” “No. I’m sorry. I shouldn't have asked,” she paused. “Umm…by the way. You don’t think that you deserve them which is only a big yes to the fact that you do. It’s not because they are too good. It’s because you care and feel too much that you see them at the top, as the best among all,” she paused, “and it’s possible, you know…that if they may feel the same, they would think that you don’t deserve them because you’re the better one in their eyes.”

“It’s funny, these feelings. No matter what, you can’t shake them off. You can’t let go,” she looked at Damon from Alaric’s grave and then back to it, “they hold a piece of you forever, even if you know them for a little while,” she sighed deeply, trying to control herself.

Damon sighed too, thinking through her words. “Mia,” he said and Meredith turned towards him with a smile, “Mia Pierce.” Her name felt so good to say as if it belonged there. Damon’s thoughts took another direction but Meredith stunned him from advancing, “Mia Pierce. Is she back in town again?” she asked in disbelief.

“Again?” Damon stiffened, “You know her.” he said that as a statement more than a question but she nodded in confirmation. “She worked in the hospital…a year ago but she left in emergency,” she concentrated, storming her thought process, trying to remember while Damon watched her impatiently. “Her soon to be fiancée had an accident. So, she left. I asked her to take a break and not leave permanently but she refused which was weird because she always seemed so passionate about her work.”

Damon stared at her with wide eyes, “Do you know the name of the boyfriend?” he asked with clenched jaw, hoping it was not the name Mia mentioned few days ago about the guy, recurring in her dreams. “Of course. He seemed sweet, you know. He called her regularly and she used to get that smile, just by hearing…”

“The name, Meredith!” he hissed. “Okay, okay. It was Enrique Parisi.”

Damon stood up suddenly, pacing around the field. “What was she?” he shook his head to clear off the menacing thoughts, “at the hospital, I mean?” Meredith stood up slowly, “She was a Genetic Engineer and was studying for her project. Damon, what happened?” she inquired. “Huh…um…nothing. I…uh, I just. It’s just that I never thought she would have a serious boyfriend.”

“Oh my God! What happened to Damon Salvatore?” she chuckled, “so, it’s the little competition that tipped you off, huh?” “Can you do me a favor?” he asked but never bothered with a reply, “Can you see if you could reach Enrique. Just the contact details, don’t contact him.” He said sternly.

Meredith had a shocked expression as she processed things. “You’re not going to kill him, Damon,” she said as if Enrique was standing in front of her with Damon’s hand grasping his throat in a life threatening grip. “No,” he said with are-you-kidding-me look. “Then why do you need it?” she crossed her arms on her chest and raised her eyebrows slightly, challenging him.

Just then, Damon’s phone rang, flashing Caroline’s name. Ah! Moment savior, he thought but her calling him…was weird. It was so not going to be a pleasant news.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for all the typos and grammatical mistakes there are. I just read a chapter and found, there are many.
So, for that I apologize but thank you for still reading it and subscribing. Do comment to let me know your views. Improvements, suggestions or questions, if you have any.
Thank you again. Love you guys.