Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Burnt to Ground

He was almost there when he heard it, the crackling sound as if someone was stepping onto the crumbled, fallen leaves or as if the fire was eating away at the wood. The shouting that accompanied it made him run double time. He knew there was no house in the vicinity except Claire’s and the knowledge pumped a shot of adrenaline in him, magnifying his senses.

The blazing red fire had the whole house engulfed in its raging flames. Damon saw Jake running out of the house into the waiting arms of Claire who was crying hard, screaming for help as she held her son tightly to her chest.

Damon’s eyes frantically searched for the one thing that mattered the most. He wouldn’t lose her, he thought panicked, not her. “Mia?” he shouted but she was nowhere to be seen.

“Mia?” he called again for her. Just like everyone else he loved, she was to be taken away. That was the only thought in his mind that made sense to him at moment. ‘Please, God, no. not her. I wouldn’t love her, if that’s what you want but don’t take her away,’ his heart prayed but his senses were all trying to locate her.

“Mommy! Mee’s in there,” Jake said in between his sobs, clutching Claire harder. It was then that he heard her, finally. She was in her room and he could hear her gasps for breath and hard coughing.

He rushed to the door and Bam! He hit the invisible wall. He looked at the open door in confusion. “What the…”

He heard her again and her shallow intake of breath. “Mia?” he whispered, trying to enter again but hitting the wall instead. Just till yesterday, no invitation was needed but now and then he understood it.

He turned and went to stand in front of Claire, “Invite me in,” he said urgently.

“Damon,” Claire said surprised.

He heard her again as she coughed and gasped for air, he knew wouldn’t come and then the voice of her head hitting the floor.

“Invite me in, Claire,” he hissed.

“What? Damon, Mia’s in there,” she pointed at the door. Damon knew that and he also knew he couldn’t hear her anymore and that was killing him already. “Invite me in, Claire. Damn it. Invite me in,” he shouted and looked at the window to Mia’s room.

“Damon,” he heard Mia’s soft whisper. She was calling for him and he wanted to be there more than anything…

Claire screamed when an explosion caused small splinters to fly around and hugged Jake to herself. Damon felt helpless, watching the explosion. He snatched his eyes from the window and gave a death glare to Claire.

She’s gonna kill Mia for Silas, the thought entered his mind, hitting him like freight train as he advanced towards her and in one swift motion, Snap! He snapped her neck.

Damon didn’t pause to see her collapsing on the ground with Jake who was hugging his mother, holding her by the waist. With the wall gone, he was able to reach Mia in a second. Tears formed in his eyes as he stared at the thick black smoke encompassing her lifeless body.

He picked her up in a swift motion, hugging her to his chest and hurried down. He laid her down on the road and cut his wrist with his teeth, putting it to her mouth, forcing her to take it.

“Come on, Mia. I’m not gonna lose you too,” he said as he lifted her neck a little higher for the blood to trickle in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Belong- Cary Brothers. The music of the song really complements the words of the chapter. Do try'em together.
And wow...what do you guys think of this chapter? I would really like to know along with your opinion on Claire's death.
Subscribe/Comment/Recommend. Thank you all.