Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Trial and Error

“What?” Mia whispered, her heart giving a slow, painful, lurching squeeze.

“The remains of his humanity is like…gone. Vaporized,” Caroline said, “So, he’s Damon but not exactly the one you knew,” she completed with a shrug and earned a glare from both Stefan and Elena.

Now, Mia understood the looks that Stefan and Elena have been giving her. This was all her fault. She did this. Another blame came to rest on her shoulders. Stefan helped her to her feet, “It’ll be fine. We’ll figure it out,” he murmured in a comforting tone.

“My room, Stefan,” she said in a broken whisper as he steered her in the opposite direction.

For the whole day, she was a statue, sitting on the floor in her room, leaning against the wall with her eyes closed. She didn’t talk to anybody except Jake and whenever she did, she felt a pang of hurt. She still didn’t eat anything or had a drink. She just stayed, overthinking the things and increasing the pain, letting her pain engulf her into nothing but darkness. She easily termed it as worst day of her life and had no idea how much it will drag itself.

“Mia,” Elena said, poking her head through the door, “Are you feeling any better?” she asked as she closed the door behind her.

Mia slightly shook her head, “I feel terrible,” she admitted in a small voice and took a deep breath, “Is he…uh. Is he any better?” she asked with an undertone of hope.

“No,” Elena sighed, “You know the number of ‘animal attacks’ have increased suddenly,” she shook her head, “He’s being irresponsible too but it’s not like he cares.”

“Are you sure it is him?” Mia asked.

“Of course, it is Mia. He’s an impulsive vampire with no humanity in him what so ever. Of course, it’s him,” Elena looked at her sympathetically and smiled sadly.

It was then that Mia realized how didn’t liked it when people looked at her like that, like she was a broken doll. True, she had been through a lot and was acting like one too but she didn’t like it. She couldn’t survive like this, she figured. She had to be strong, to handle herself and others effected. She had to be strong, if not for herself then for Damon. She had to bring him back.

“You know, Enrique came for the tenth time,” Elena informed her but Mia was concentrating hard on something. “What?” Elena straightened up as she regarded Mia seriously.

“How can I help him?” Mia asked, her eyes focused.

“Oh. By meeting him actually. He wouldn’t believe that you actually don’t want to see anybody.”

“No, no. Not Enrique. Him?”

“You mean how to…”

“Yes.”

“It’s difficult. We have to make him feel. Anything, actually. Fear, pain, hurt, hate, acceptance, love…”

“I have to help him,” she said quickly as she stood up.

“Whoa. Calm down,” Elena said, holding her by arm, “He isn’t back yet.”

“When is he ever home?” Mia asked, exasperated.

“At late night. Most probably with a group of…” she paused and then looked at Mia, “you know,” she shrugged.

“Arghh,” Caroline groaned as she entered the room, slamming the door behind her, “You need to like…pacify him or something,” she looked at Mia who knitted her eye brows together in confusion. “Enrique…he’s so…persistent and annoying. I’m just…”

Mia stood up,” It’s ok,” she said looking at Caroline in an attempt to calm her down, “I’ll just go see him, ok?”

“Hmm. Mia?” Caroline called when Mia opened the door and she looked back, “How are you?” she asked concerned.

“I’ll be fine, Care. I am fine,” Mia smiled at her, “look out for Jake. I’ll be right back,” she said and slipped out the door.

She was on the fourth step when the door opened and a brunette stepped in, entering the room as if she owned the place. Mia was going to question her when she saw him. He was twirling a giggling blond, enjoying himself.

Her heart dropped at the sight. Was it true that she had convinced herself just two days ago that she hated him? It was unsettling how weak she was regarding him.

His blue eyes were shining from amusement as he chuckled in his deep voice, capturing her poor heart all over again. She was hoping he would look at her, the way he used to but nipped it when his eyes roamed her body.

“Oh hey, there,” Damon acknowledged her with a smirk, his eyes shining just the same as they were with the blond, “Someone’s up from the Zombie land,” he remarked as the girls beside him giggled in an irritating voice.

Mia bit her lips nervously, playing with her fingers as she took a step down, “Can I…” she hesitated.

“Join the party?” he asked, completing her question. “Sure,” he answered with a shrug.

“No. Not the party,” Mia said suddenly, “I just need to talk.”

Damon made a face as if it was the most boring suggestion in the world, “Party proposition was better,” he said, “but sure, talk,” he shrugged indifferently as he twirled the brunette beside him whose giggles sounded like scratching nails to Mia and she winced.

“Alone,” she said, looking pointedly at the both girls and then Damon.

Damon sighed loudly and pointed the girls to the living rooms as he came to stand at the feet of stairs. Mia kept her eyes on him as she descended a few steps, “I’m sorry,” she said, worrying her bottom lip. “I’m really, really sorry for…everything,” she said again.

Damon gave her a non-committal shrug. “I want you back, Damon,” she said and then realized her words, causing her cheeks to heat up. “Want you to be back,” she mumbled in her mouth and took a deep breath.

Damon scoffed and she quickly continued, coming to stand in front of him so they were both at equal heights, eyes leveled, “I know I was stupid…”

“Obviously,” he retorted. That was ok, it was to be expected. He’s not himself, she reminded herself.

“Yes, but I need you to come back, Damon. I need you to turn it on…”

“Why?” he asked as he stared hard at her, waiting for an answer.

She slowly raised her hands to rest them at his shoulders, “I need you to feel, Damon,” she said.

“What?” he asked in a clipped tone.

“Huh?”

“Feel what?” he asked again, looking at her.

“This,” she gestured between them as she took a small step forward, keeping her eyes on his brilliant blue. “This,” she whispered as she rested her hand on his stomach and slowly glided up his chest to rest at his heart. She felt thrilled that she was doing such a thing, it was so unlike her. She hesitantly leaned forward to touch his forehead against hers and closed her eyes to savor the moment. “This,” she whispered.

“What good does it bring?” he asked, his breath fanning her face with a tingling sensation, “This feeling?” he asked, raising his own hand to rest on her fast but calmly beating heart. Mia opened her eyes and looked at him but he was staring at his hand that rested on her.

“It’ll be better this time. You’ll be happy,” she swallowed and then breathed deep, “It wouldn’t be like before, Damon,” she assured him.

Damon scoffed and dropped his hand, “No, Mia. They are pointless and overrated and they definitely don’t bring happiness.”

“I promise you, it’ll be different. If you just give it a chance,” she started.

“You don’t think, I’ve given enough? It always end like this and you should try turning it off…at least, you’ll know what happiness feels like.”
“So, this is you being happy?” she asked, “Without a care in world?” she pointed at the living room where the girls were.

He just looked at her for a moment before answering, “Yep. Walking on sunshine and all,” he said in a calm voice and smirked at her. “As much as I want to not talk about it. How are you so sure, it’ll be different this time?”

“Cause, I’ll make sure of it,” she said simply. He stared at her intently for what seemed like forever and her heart galloped in her chest. Come on, Damon. Come on, please, she chanted.

“Hey, are you coming or what? I’m bored,” the brunette whined from the living room and the moment broke. Mia could hear it shattering, see it vanishing from his eyes.

“Not good enough, Mia,” he said, touching his forehead with hers before leaning back to smirk at her as he turned to the brunette, “I’m happy as can be,” he stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“What about the fact that I love you?” she asked, brokenly, “Is that good enough?” Seeing him go away ripped open all her wounds as they started to bleed again. Every one of them that he had sealed by staying for her, caring for her, chasing all her nightmares away and simply, by loving her and the pain of it was unbearable.

Damon stopped dead in his tracks and stayed that way for a moment, contemplating everything. He had seen her pain, her troubles and everything she had let him see but this kind of desperation, he had never heard in her voice before or the words she used. It all reminded him of…himself.

It should’ve affected him but it didn’t and for a moment he thought if something was wrong with him but he was great and he felt great so, he decided against it. The problem must be with her then, he thought as he turned to face her again.

“Sweetheart, everybody loves me,” he smirked and then winked at the impatient brunette whose face lit up with a bright smile as Damon came to take her hand and led her to the living room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I don't know about this one but a lot is coming up ahead. So, stay tune for that. :)
Thank you guys. Your comments brighten up my day and I love you all for that. <3