Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Betrayal

“This is wrong,” Cam said as he closed the door behind him. Samantha stood up from the chair, “I can’t…I can’t let her go through this. It’s unfair to her,” he said.

“But it is to be done. This is what you wanted from the very start, Cam. The freedom and…”

“Not like this. It wasn’t her fault, Sammy,” he spun harshly towards her, “She shouldn’t be in this position,” he said, raking his hair.

“Well, she has to. There’s no other choice,” she stated and pursed her lips.

“It was Ariel. She did this not Mia. She shouldn’t have to do this,” his voice went an octave higher as he thought about it. He had just witnessed them outside. She was scared and heartbroken and Damon…he was just…Damon with her.

Cam still didn’t understand how to understand that guy. There were two sides to him, like that twin brothers in the, The Prestige. You never knew which one was the real him at the moment but with Mia, you could tell or maybe, it was just, Damon with Mia and Damon without Mia and he had no idea what he would become after Mia makes her choice.

“You just…backed away, Cam,” Samantha said, “You should’ve kept trying for her. It would’ve been easy.”

“Even after I knew that she loved him?” Cam asked, knitting his eye brows together.

“She loved you too,” She commented, cocking her head, “I know it was difficult but I know, she does love you.”

“No, it wouldn’t have been difficult if she did but she doesn’t, Sammy. Not like that,” he sighed sadly, “You know, that’s why I tried so hard for her to love me so that she wouldn’t have to make this choice but…” his face was so soft and vulnerable at the moment that it scared Samantha. She had never seen him like that before…except, except with Ariel.

“Maybe if you try again…” Samantha started.

“Are you kidding me? Try again? It’s not a game, Samantha,” he almost screamed, “And she does ‘care’ but…” he took a deep breath, “And she may have harbor some feelings for me but now…it’s not like she will turn against everything for me but with him…with Damon, she will. She will turn against the world, the nature, everything for him,” he clenched his eyes shut, “You didn’t see her out there with him.”

There was a long, uncomfortable stretch of silence between them when he spoke up, “And now he has some old soul. How am I, to compete with that?”

“I recognized him when I saw him for the first time. His aura seemed familiar to me,” she said quietly.

“You didn’t tell me? I couldn’t see that. I knew there was something off about him but I couldn’t identify it,” Cam sighed, “It doesn’t matter,” he waved the matter off.

“You’re right, it doesn’t,” she looked at him.

“Similar lives? Congruent?” Cam’s lip twitched in contempt, “it’s all shit, you know. It’s not similar at all. Ariel made a mistake and Mia’s innocent but she’s the one who has to give everything up because of what Ariel did centuries ago,” his mind was still stuck at the same place.

“They are more similar than you can ever imagine,” Samantha whispered. She was sitting on the edge of bed, clutching the sheets in a death grip as she took a deep breath. Her breath came in ragged breaths and she could hear the pulse in her ears.

She had hidden it for so long. She was always scared about how he would react. There were many times when she felt like telling him but it always ended in a thought that it doesn’t matter and that she’ll handle it when the times come and now that the time had come, she had lost all her courage and nerve to tell him.

She closed her eyes, wishing for everything to be over but she saw that nothing had changed upon opening them Cam was leaning against the wall casually but it was far from casual. He was tensed and the way she was acting was making him curious and scared.

Samantha was always the kind that handled everything maturely and decisively. Seeing her nervous like that, Cam had no idea what to think. She used to speak her mind but now, she looked white as a ghost and her lower lip was trembling. Cam waited for her to say something but when she remained silent, he felt the need to speak up.

“How, Samantha? How are they similar?” he asked, keeping his face straight but crossed his arms. Her eerie silence was driving him crazy.
“You know. The obvious,” she said, lowering her eyes, her voice defeated.

“No, no, Samantha. That’s not it. I know the obvious. What is it?” he asked her softly this time but his insides tightened. It must be terrible with her acting that way.

“No,” she said as a sob wrecked her body, “She had fallen for two brothers just like Ariel. She’s the one to make a choice…between love and being an angel, like Ariel,” she gulped, “And then, Damon’s soul…and they both transitioned but…in an opposite way. Ariel was from angel to human and Mia’s from human to angel,” she paused and clenched her eyes shut.

She had to tell him, she willed herself. He would hate her but she owed him the truth. She took a deep breath and put her hand on her heart, “And they both had someone…who directed them to the path they’re walking on,” she swallowed and sniffled, “Who determined their fate…but remain unscathed themselves,” she admitted as a tear escaped her eye.

Cam shook his head, “It doesn’t make sense,” he said as he moved forward and kneeled in front of her, “Why are you crying, Sammy?” he tipped her face up, “You never cry,” he stated, knitting his eyebrows in confusion, his lips pursed.

“Stupid human body,” she muttered. Cam shook his head at her and smiled.

“It’s ok. You can tell me,” he comforted her by giving her a hug, running his hands on her back, an attempt to comfort her and she held onto him tightly, hugging him back, not knowing when he would do that again because after knowing the truth she was sure, he would hate her.

“I mean that real Mia Pierce girl…and,” she sobbed again as she circled her arms around her for support, “and…me.”

“What?” his mind was beyond confused now as he pulled back from her to look at her directly.

“It was my fault, Cam,” she cried, “I gave Ariel the idea to defy Heavens and be with Silas because I wanted to be with Josiah but…I was also very scared and she was too but I…I pushed her into it because I knew she would take that step.”

Cam stood up, his heart pounding in his chest as he fisted his hands and stepped away from her, his face was hard, jaws taut. “And I thought if it got wrong, she would be the one to pay. I became selfish, Cam. I was selfish,” she was crying now, her tears flowing freely.

“And it happened just like that. She was cursed and here I am,” she looked at herself in disgust, “I’m fine just like that real Mia Pierce girl.”

Cam was stunned into silence. He couldn’t move now as she talked. It should’ve been her at Ariel’s place and if that were the case, he would’ve been holding Ariel in his arms at the moment. His angel.

“That girl made this path for our Mia. Our Mia was kidnapped because of her and then she died because of her. She was the path setter for our Mia just like…like I was for Ariel,” she said as another tremor shook her.

She came forward to Cam, “I..I am so sorry, Cam. I…” but Cam was over the initial shock when she started towards him, his anger gave way to blaring rage, hot, red fury as he pushed her away and she body collided with the floor.

“It should’ve been you,” he hissed in a low, snarling voice. “It should’ve been you,” he screamed now turning over the table at his side as all the things crashed down. “It’s your fault,” he screamed again.

She was crying herself out, her breath came in short gasps. “I’m sorry,” she said in her broken voice again as she stood up reaching for him.
He spun around in a blurring fast movement as he held her by the collar, “How do you live with yourself?” he spat the words at her. Her eyes were wide with fear and grief as she looked at him, “You don’t deserve it, you witch,” he jerked her.

She closed her eyes and let her guilt drip from her eyes. She raised her head upward, her eyes still close as she waited for the agony to be over but it was never ending, she knew. That was the reason she wanted to Mia to choose the Heavens and was helping her. She wanted Ariel to have peace because it was her fault that she was cursed at the first place.

“I will…help,” she choked.

“There’s nothing you can do,” he screamed the words at her, jerking her already shaking body, “You can’t do anything,” his voice dropped to a low, cold whisper, “You can’t…” he murmured as he dropped his hands to his side and took a step back from her, shaking his head, “It’s your fault…and you can’t do anything…” he raised his eyes to her, “But to live with it.”

“Cam…I’m so, so sorry,” she said again, fresh, hot tears, blinding her.

“I can’t,” he shook his head, “It’s not for me to give and the wrong you did to me,” he scoffed, “I don’t think I can…forgive.”

“Cam, please…” she reached out to take his hand and beg but he strode out of the room in long and powerful strides, “I’m sorry,” she mumbled the apology as she fell to her knees, her hands on her face, trying to hide the shame she felt, “I’m sorry," she mumbled as Cam smacked close the door behind him.