Status: First ever literary work. Hope you guys like it. Kind words are always appreciated.

The Devil's Angel

Lover's Quarrel

Mia was trying to comfort herself but she knew she was far from it. That was the reason she didn’t want to embrace the so called destiny with wide open welcoming arms. Somewhere deep down, she knew…just like she knew, they weren’t dreams, they were memories.

“We both know what the right thing is,” Damon said, coming to stand at her side in the open garden. The moon was shining bright, illuminating everything with a silver glow and the silver breeze that whistled through the trees should be all so beautiful but it wasn’t. It was complex and impossible to understand just like their lives.

“Nothing is right, Damon,” she paused to catch her breath, “Nothing about this whole thing is right,” she shook her head in exasperation, “It’s unfair.”

“I know,” he said simply. He himself had no idea what to do and to say, he was a man of ideas. His head was always full of them but now, he was empty.

“I-I can’t,” her voice broke, “I can’t do this. You don’t deserve it.”

“Hey,” Damon took her shoulders and turned her to face him, “It isn’t about me,” he started.

“It is. To me, it is,” she cut him off.

“No, Mia. That’s the problem. It isn’t about me…or you. It’s so much bigger than both of us,” he tried to reason with her and wondered where the courage came from? Maybe, from the fact that her not leaving him would result in her death and she will be cursed and he couldn’t fathom the idea of her not existing. She had to stay. She couldn’t die. He’ll let her go of it meant that she will be happy and alive somewhere.

“I don’t care,” she said. She didn’t want him to go through that pain again especially after she promised him that she will always choose him. It was time to prove it. She would chose death over leaving him.

She’ll endure being cursed if she knew that he was sure that she left him because she had no choice…that she couldn’t stay alive but she wouldn’t live in Heavens, knowing that one day he’ll wake up and doubt her love for him, to think that she betrayed him for her safety, her life. She wouldn’t be selfish like Katherine. She’ll die before she ever hurt him.

“Damon smiled at her, “My angel,” he took her face in his hands, “You need to make the right choice and you know, what that is.”
Looking into his eyes, she whispered, “I do, Damon but I’m selfish,” she drew in a shaky breath, “I’m too selfish to leave you,” she said.

Damon sighed sadly. She had no idea what those words did to him but the alternative was way too depressing. She would die and then what would he do? With this choice, at least he’ll know that she’ll be alive and wouldn’t be cursed, wouldn’t writhe in pain for eternity and he would make it through.

“You’re letting me go,” it wasn’t a question, it was a statement that she took as a fact. Why would he ask her to leave him just like that? It wasn’t easy.

“No,” Damon breathed in, “I’m too selfish to let you go,” he said running his thumb below her eyes, “But I can’t live with the fact that you’re no more, Mia. I want you to live.”

“I’m not afraid of death,” she raised her eyebrows at him. Wasn’t that what people used to say and promise each other, ‘Till death do us part’? Dying was ok, easy. Leaving him was not.

“It’s not just dying,” he argued, “It’s the fact that you’ll be cursed,” he said as he leaned forward, “And I can’t think of that, Mia…of you being dead but not entirely. Just hanging there, suffocating…without peace…being c-cursed.”

“But,” she started as he hushed her.

“You can do it right. You can save Ariel, Cam and Samantha. You can save lot of people by finishing off Silas,” he paused, “You can save yourself…and…me.”

“You?” she looked at him confused. Tears were burning in her eyes and that tickling sensation which felt more like nagging now, thrummed in her. She had to keep her emotions in check before she blew off a grid station, she thought.

“Hmm, me,” he smiled but it never reached his eyes, “It’ll be easier for me like that, knowing you’re safe and breathing and alive and I know that you’re thinking that your actions are similar to Katherine’s or others…who just…left but Mia, you’re wrong there, angel. With you, I’ll know that you loved me for me and I’ll know you’re up there,” he raised his eyes to the starry sky, “looking at me and watching over me.”

Mia raised her eyes to the sky and sighed as she faced him again. “What if…” she started.

Damon snapped his eyes to her, “What if, what?”

“What if…I don’t stop Silas? I wouldn’t have to go then. I’ll just stay here…” Mia said as she thought about it. She would only die if she completed her task. What is she doesn’t do that? What if she doesn’t stop Silas? Then, she’ll live until he’s alive. Maybe, she needed to befriend him instead of being his enemy.

“Mia, what are you saying?” Damon shook his head but his eyes were soft and pained.

“It’s also a choice I can consider. Just stay in harmony with him,” she said almost to herself.

“You can’t stay in…harmony with…Silas…” he contradicted her.

“Then, take me away,” she pleaded, her eyes tearing up again, “Just, take me away from this, like you promised. We’ll stay away from this…all, this mess.”

“I wish it were easy, angel,” he cupped her face.

“It was easy for you two days ago,” she retorted, “So, what happened now? I’m still me and you’re still you…You asked me to do that and now that I’m asking it, you’re denying me.”

“I…what? I didn’t asked you to do that. I never asked you that,” he squinted his eyes at her.

“You did,” she nodded and regarded him seriously, “You did, Damon. That day in the cave with Bonnie. You said,” she paused and took a deep breath, “That you were scared…to l-lose me and you…” she looked at him dumbfound expression and stopped.

“Mia,” he almost cooed, “I didn’t say that, angel. I was looking for…not that I’m not scared, I am…but that day I was worried sick that you may be in danger and then, I found you in cave with…choking Bonnie and Silas,” he was looking at her when he saw understanding on her pale face.

“Silas?” she croaked, “It was Silas,” she breathed out as she thought about all the wonderful things he said that she thought Damon was saying. God, she wanted to kill him. He was stronger than her. That’s why he said that he did impersonate Damon and it was fun.

“Not much, harmonious. Is it now?” he smirked at her and Mia scoffed.

“He’s such a…” Mia started but couldn’t think of a befitting word.

“Ahan,” Damon probed her and she averted her eyes to his. When nothing came to her, she chuckled and he smiled, this time, it reached his eyes as she leaned forward to rest her head on his chest, “I love you, Damon,” she said closing her eyes as she inhaled him in.

“I love you more, angel,” he whispered back and she giggled. “What?” he asked, keeping his arms around her.

“I always thought of you as a devil, you know,” she admitted diffidently, “and now you’re asking me to make righteous decisions.”

Damon ignored the decision part. He didn’t want to go there again and discuss the damn possibilities. So, he chose the easier path. “Really? What wrong did I ever do to you?” he asked in a playful tone, trying to distract her.

“Well, you did fed on me the first time we met,” she reminded him and felt him wince. She sighed, if only she could take away his pain and regrets. He thought along the same lines, if he could erase every bad thing, bad moment from her life. “And your vamp face…you looked so…devilish,” she shrugged.

“You wound me, angel,” he replied kissing her head.

“I love it when you call me that. Otherwise, I hate every aspect of the word as well as being one,” she raised her head to look at him.

“I always thought of you as an angel. Even before, I found out how on spot and bull’s-eye my guesses were,” he smirked.

Mia scoffed at him and lowered her head again. She was going to ask why, when he answered himself, “You’re the one who pulled me back from the edge that night. Somehow, there was an instinct to protect you and take care of you and after that, no matter how many times I screwed up, you were always there to rescue me,” he completed and smiled.

Mia thought about her conversation with fake Damon…Silas Damon and she realized the extract of that conversation was what her Damon had just said to her. “You saved me too, every time,” she pulled back to look at him.

“You deserved that. You were worth saving, angel,” he replied, “my angel,” he added, stressing the words and chuckled as he shook his head.

“What?” she tilted her head in amusement and curiosity. The sound of his laughter, warming her to the core.

“You” he paused, “You’re the devil’s angel,” he smiled.

Mia let out a small laugh as she hugged him again, “I’m the devil’s angel,” she agreed.

For a moment, as they both laughed in the quiet night, everything was fine again and they were perfect and happy, far from the world, oblivious to all the choices. They were just two people who brought the good in each other and fell at peace and comfort in the embrace of other.