‹ Prequel: All Your Life
Status: Completed

Why Wait?

Chapter 5

Rylan

After storming off, I quickly found Marliegh and Brad by the snack table.

“Hey, where’s Milan?” Mar asked.

“I don’t know, he’s talking to some of the guys.” I shrugged, eyeing the food on the table behind Marchy.

“Why aren’t you with him?”

“Because he’s an asshole.” I snapped, grabbing a cracker and some cheese and shoving it in my mouth.

“Whoa, what did he do this time?” Mar asked

“And do I need to kick his ass?” Brad piped in. I swallowed the cracker and sighed.

“No, I just over-reacted. These hormones suck!” I frowned, “I don’t even know why I stormed off. They were talking about how they liked me better than Brittany and I couldn’t stop thinking about how many times he’s brought her out with them and then Tuukka asked why it had taken so long from Milan to bring me to the awards because we’d been together for so long and Milan said we’ve been together for 8 years, which isn’t true because we broke up for 2 years, so it doesn’t count. Anyways, I got all mad because of why we broke up and what happened in those 2 years we were separated that I snapped at him and stormed off.” I said in one breath…well maybe two. Marliegh and Brad just stared at me.

“Wow.” Marchy said and I just took another deep breath, calming myself down.

“I had no reason to get so upset.” I frowned at myself.

“Sure you did. You’re pregnant!” Marliegh laughed and I gave her a small smile.

“Does it get easier?” I asked her.

“No.” Brad said before Mar had a chance to speak. We both looked at him and he put his arms up in defense. “Sorry.” Marliegh laughed, but punched his arm anyway.

“The mood swings suck, Ry. It’s like as soon as the words leave your mouth and you hear the unnecessary sassiness in it, you want to apologize. But instead, you go crazy because they already think you are and start yelling for all sorts of things that don’t have reasons.” Marliegh explained.

“I don’t want that. All I want is a baby.” I shook my head and Mar and Brad both looked at me with sympathetic looks.

“Sacrifices. In 9 months’ time, you’ll have your baby.” Marliegh said and I sighed.

“Let’s go find our seats.” Brad suddenly changed the subject and we followed him into the auditorium.
__________________
“And the winner of the Selke trophy is…Milan Lucic.” I smiled slightly and looked over at him. He gave Mar a hug and me a kiss on the cheek. I clapped for him nonetheless. He did just fucking win the Selke! I was extremely proud. He walked up to the stage and took the trophy before stepping up to the microphone.

“Thank you. First of all, congratulations my fellow nominees on great seasons. I feel so lucky to be part of such an amazing organization and group of people in Boston. So, I’m accepting this award because of the help of all my teammates, coaches and trainers. Also, special thanks to Jeremy and Charlie Jacobs, Peter Chiarelli, Cam Neely. To my family, mum, dad, Jovan, Nikola, Marleigh and now Marshy, which is still so fucking weird to say. To my wife, the love of my life, my beautiful Rylan. To my daughter, Val. And to the fans. Thank you guys.” Milan finished up and turned to walk backstage.

My stomach was doing somersaults and I felt like crying. As I watched him walk off stage, I immediately forgave him. I felt so bad for ever being angry with him. His incredible drive for the sport he loved motivated him to keep playing his best. He deserves that trophy and the honor to have his name on it. What he doesn't deserve is an angry wife. Like he said before we got married, we shouldn't keep punishing ourselves for past mistakes. I love that man with all my heart and I can’t wait to start out family. Together.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, that's it. The series is over.
Thank you EVERYONE for reading and subscribing and commenting. It really means a lot. I honestly can't believe how far this story went...I meant 3 seasons!? That's crazy!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Seriously! From the bottom of my heart. I love every single one of you!
xx Nicole <3