Status: Update whenever I can (mind you I'm a lazy piece of shit)

Something Like Family

Chapter Five

Castiel’s next class was Maths, and thankfully he shared it with Anna, but when he walked into the classroom his hope of sitting next to her vanished. Groaning, he found his name on the seating plan and made his way over there. He sighed when he saw that he would be sitting next to Meg, the girl who had tried to get him to talk to her all throughout Chemistry. When she saw him sit down next to her, she broke out her already too-familiar smile.
“Hey there, Clarence.”
“It’s Castiel.” She rolled her eyes and leaned on her elbow.
“I know. But you kinda remind me of Clarence. You know, the angel in It’s a Wonderful Life?” When Castiel didn’t answer, she made a ‘tsk’ sound with her tongue and turned to talk to the girl diagonal to her on their table. Apparently her name was Bela. But Cas didn’t really care.
“Okay everyone, sit down and get out your equipment. That applies to you too, Mr Arguto.” Castiel looked at Gabriel across the room as Mr Thompson came in, watching him as he took the lollipop out of his mouth to momentarily salute the teacher. Gabe winked at him across the room, and Cas smiled back at him softly, fond of his personality. And it wasn’t particularly usual for him to get attached to people.
“I’ll take the register in five minutes.” The teacher announced as he logged onto his computer, and quiet conversation took over the room. Meg attempted to talk to him again, but soon gave up when she realised Bela was better conversation.
“Alright. Gabriel Arguto?” Mr Thompson started the register and the room fell silent.
“Sup?”
“For future reference, a simple ‘here, sir’ will suffice.” A couple of kids laughed, but Gabriel just grinned as if he liked the attention. Castiel snorted; he probably relished it.
“Lilith Burleigh?”
“Here, sir.” The girl looked barely over twelve, her blond hair pulled into two neat pigtails. Somehow they just made her look threatening instead of cute.
“Eve Cornelia?”
“Here, sir.” She had long black hair and wore a small smile that made him feel sorry for Gabriel, who was sitting next to her.
“Ruby Davis?”
“Here, sir.” Ruby was the other girl that had sat with Meg and tried to talk to Castiel, but at least she’d had the decency to stop after she realised he didn’t want to answer their questions.
“Meg Gauding?”
“Here, sir.”
“Jo Harvelle?”
“Here, sir.” Castiel recognised her as one of Dean’s friends, the one who had come in with him to the dining hall. The thought of Dean made him let out a sigh before he could stop himself.
“Why the sour face?” Meg murmured, but let out a frustrated sigh of her own when he shot her an angry look.
“Tessa Jones?”
“Here, sir.” Tessa’s short dark hair bounced as she turned back to talking with the girl next to her. He felt a prick of jealousy when he realised she sat on the same table as Anna. But thankfully she was on the table behind him sitting on his side, only an arm’s reach away.
“Crowley McDawson?”
“Present.” He heard the smile in his voice, and turned around to see Naomi glowering at him. Castiel held back a laugh as he saw they’d been forced to sit next to eachother.
“Anna Milton?”
“Here, sir.”
“Castiel Novak?”
“Here, sir.”
“Edgar Newman?”
“Here, sir.” The boy looked like he wanted to shoot himself, and a part of Castiel couldn’t blame him.
“Dick Roman?”
“Here, sir.” A couple of kids sniggered at his name, but Dick cocked an eyebrow and the laughter ceased. Castiel wished he could have that kind of effect on people. Like Meg, who never seemed to shut up.
“Naomi Spencer?”
“Here, sir.” She sounded so irritated that Castiel nearly laughed out loud.
“Bela Talbot?”
“Here, sir.” The girl across from him smiled, obviously trying to elicit some reaction from him. He continued to stare at the wall behind her head.
“Kevin Tran?”
“Here, sir.” The kid was obviously from Mortalis, his head boy badge coloured purple, the house’s colour.
“Dean Winchester?” Castiel’s blood froze at the name, a breath stuck halfway between his lungs and his nose. When no answer came, Mr Thompson marked him absent, and he let out the breath he’d been holding. Suddenly, Dean appeared at the door, calm as ever.
“Sorry I’m late.” He said, smiling. He glanced at the chart and sat down in the available seat next to...Anna. Cas groaned quietly as he realised there were absolutely no positives to this seating plan. Well, there would have been if he could have talked to Anna undisturbed, aka without Dean sitting next to her. But he quickly realised that the world obviously hated him when Dean sat down behind him, not even acknowledging his presence. Turning back around to his desk, he realised that the only little positive (which was hardly a positive at all) was that he could watch Crowley wind up Naomi.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well I've updated again. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, there's more on the way x