#19

#19

Chapter 9

After practice was done, I packed all my pads and my skates. Brooks came up to me and patted my on the back. "Theres a party at my house this weekend. Bring Aria." He smiled as he grabbed a towel and headed to the showers.

I grabbed a towel and followed Brooks. "Do you want me to bring anything?" I asked as we stripped down and turned on the water. "Just bring Aria."

The shampoo bubbled up in my hair and the rest of the players came into the showers. Kunitz and Letang both winked and smacked my bare ass. "Nice ass, Sunshine." They both started to laugh hystariclly. "Not funny guys!" I said as I rinsed my hair.

Everyone finally started talking about something else so I tried to sneak out the best I could. It failed. On my way out of the showers, Niskinen passed me. "Say hi to Aria for me." He laughed a bit and the rest of the guys busted out laughing. I tried to think of the way to shut them up. Then it came to me. "Hey Nisky," I turned to look at him. "Ya?"

"Ill tell her when shes sucking my balls." Then I flipped them all the bird.

All the laughing stopped at that point. They were all shocked and I don't blame them. I would've been too. Neal was the only one who started to laugh. "Its cute that the rookie thinks hes actually going to get some action." Neal put an emphasis on 'actually' and all the guys started laughing again. "I hate you all." And at that, I left the showers and got dressed by my locker.

(Aria's P.O.V)

I tried to cover my face all day at school but the bruise was bigger than I thought. People asked in every class. I just told them that I was clumsy. I couldn't tell them that my dad was abusive.

During 5th period, I got a text from Beau. I needed someone to brighten my day. Thank God.

Beau: Party at Brooks on Saturday! Wanna come?
Me: YES!
Beau: Alright. Ill pick you up at 2 on Saturday.
Me: See you then! :D

And the conversation ended there. Then I couldn't help but think, would mom let me go? Shit. Slim chance.

After a day of hell at school, I headed home. I was hoping dad wouldn't be home yet. Maybe I could talk to mom. Sure enough, when I got home, dad wasn't there.

When I walked in the door, mom didn't say anything to me. She didn't even acknowledge my presence. "Mom." I said as gently as I could. She looked up at me from the Tv. "How was school?" She had the look of fright in her eyes. "Good I guess. Are you okay?" I didn't care how I was right now. Mom looked like she could fall over and die right there. "I'm fine." She smiled and inhailed a deep breath. Then she cried. Ive never seen so much dispair in her eyes as what I saw that day. Mom balled up like a little kid and I held her as tight as I could. That was when I saw the bruises on her arms. There were more than what there was the other day. This was, no doubt, a recent act.

As soon as dad walked through the door, I confronted him. "How could you do this to us?" I pointed at the bruise on my face and at mom. She sat still on the couch and made no eye contact with either of us. Dad's stern, cold body just stood there and There was no expression on his face at all. I probably looked pathetic standing there with my size compared to his. "I asked you a question." The tone in my voice changed from anger to pure agony. "And I expect a God damn answer." The agony mumbled under my breath. Again, no answer.

That's when I hit him. I flailed my arms and they pounded his hard chest. It probably hurt me more than it hurt him but I was desperate.

Desperate for happiness.
Desperate for family.
Desperate for him to feel love for me.

The truth is, he doesn't care about me or mom anymore. I don't think he even knows what love means.

My eyes filled with tears and I looked up at him. He hadn't even flinched. "I hate you." And I screamed it. Everyone needed to hear it. They needed to know what he had done to us.