Sequel: Twice Baked
Status: Comment, subscribe, reccomend <3

Please Remember Me

Burning Brighter Than the Sun

I sat at my vanity doing my makeup and hair for Patrice’s and my Halloween Party. The entire team and their families were going to be there, and the closer it was to the time the more excited I was getting. I got up from my seat and walked over to the mirror on the wall so I could examine my outfit . Patrice and I were going as a 1920s couple, he a gangster and I a flapper. Twirling in the mirror, I realized I had better get going if I was going to beat the traffic over to the venue across town.

Rushing down to my car from the elevator, I stepped out into the cold November air and realized I had forgotten my coat. Afraid of being late I didn’t go back up and get it; instead, I rushed to my car and started it up. I turned the heat on and sent Patrice a text before driving off.
To Patrice @ 5:00 pm: On my way Babe see you soon xoxo

~~~~

I walked into the restaurant 10 minutes early so I could help finish decorating with Patrice. I spotted him in the back bent over untangling lights at a table. Slowly and quietly, I crept up behind him as I wrapped my arms around his body letting my head rest on his back. My hands found their way through the buttons in his shirt, delicately tracing lines on his chest. I felt him shiver as he grabbed my small hands in his large calloused pair.

“Your hands are freezing.” He said blowing his warm breath on them.

“I forgot my coat.” I explained.

“You should’ve went back in for it.” He said pulling my body in against his in a tight embrace. “You look stunning by the way.”

I couldn’t help but blush even still his sweet words could make me redder than a tomato. I tried to hide my face in his chest, but I could tell by the small chuckle erupting from his chest he saw.

“You look dreamier than ever.” I mumbled into his chest.

“Thank you.” He whispered softly in my ear causing my cheeks to remain hot. When this first date blushes were going to stop, who knew? It would sure be cool if they did.

“You’re welcome.” I said breaking away from him, “Let’s finish hanging the lights.” I said grabbing up the strings and helping him pin them to the ceiling beams above us.

~~~~~

Slowly but surely everyone arrived, Brad and Tyler of course showed up last. The team mingled around great food, music, and all around atmosphere. I was having blast swing dancing with Patrice on the dance floor, when Tyler came up and asked if he could cut in. Patrice obliged and left us to ourselves as we slowly moved with the music.

“Are you okay?” I asked sensing Ty’s rigid mood.

“I got some bad news last week.” He sighed as he dipped me softly.

I stared worriedly into his brown eyes looking for any sign, “What happened?” I asked almost in a whisper.

“I got traded.” Tyler said quietly.

I gasped. I couldn’t believe what he was telling me. Tyler had become one of my best friends on the team. He had always been there when I needed him and now because of things completely out of our hands he had to move to Texas. I couldn’t speak as a million thoughts rambled through my brain.

“Gab?” Ty asked me with a scared expression on his face.

“I- I D-don’t know what to say.” I said now realizing we had stopped moving.

“Yea that was about my reaction.” Ty said with a loud sigh.

“Does the team know?” I asked softly.

“Not yet, they said I could tell them. I just don’t know how.”

“I- I just… did they give you a reason?”

“Cap budget.” Tyler said flatly.

“I’m so sorry Siggy.” I said pulling him in for a hug, “When do you officially leave?”

“Next week. Gonna make the most of it I guess. Come on cheer up let’s go enjoy your party beautiful.”

“I’m gonna need a minute to pull myself together.” I said realizing I had been crying. “Just tell Pat I had to use the restroom.” I said walking to the back of the restaurant. I pushed through a swinging door leading to the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror and tried to wrap my head around what Tyler just told me. It hurt deep inside of me to think that next week he would be half way across the country. Tyler was a large part of my story. He was what held me together at my weakest points and would always be the sweet 19-year-old boy I had met over a year ago.

I shook my head clearing my thoughts, before fixing my makeup and going back out to find Patrice sitting down with a group of the guys. I went over and took a seat in his lap. I spent the rest of the night laughing with my new family, and that’s when I realized why Tyler leaving hurt so much. We were family.

Patrice and I were grabbing some food when he pulled me aside, “What’s going on?” He asked skeptically.

“WH-What are you talking about?” I asked nervously tugging at my dress.

He stared at me straight in the eyes not letting me lose contact until I finally broke, “Okay, I found out some bad news, but you can’t tell anyone I told you.” I stared into his eyes judging whether I should tell him or not. “Ty got traded.”

“What!” He asked outraged.

“Shhhh!” I said hushing him, “He doesn’t want you guys to know just yet. Please act like you don’t know.”

“Where?” He asked in a softer tone.

“Dallas.” I choked out.

“But that’s career suicide?” He questioned angrily.

“I know, please calm down Baby.” I said rubbing his arms, “Don’t let this ruin our night, come on let’s go enjoy ourselves.”

“I just can’t believe Chiarelli would do something like that.” Patrice said still in disbelief.

“I know baby relax we’ll talk about this later on tonight.” I said pulling him back to the rest of the group.

The rest of the night we drank and danced to all the lil’ Wayne songs Patrice could play. The entire team was on the dance floor strutting their best club moves having a blast together until the venue closed and we all sat in the parking lot.

Tyler stood up and cleared his throat, I smiled at him encouragingly and mouthed ‘you can do this’ before he spoke up, “Guys I’ve got to tell you something…” He paused as he waited for their attentions, “I got traded to Dallas.”

Gasps arouse from the players and wives. I was glad I wasn’t the only shocked one. Silence filled the freezing October night air. Shivers ran down my spine as I wished now more than ever I had brought my coat. Patrice saw me and pulled me in close enough to wrap his coat around the both of us as we sat there with the team taking in the hard news. Somehow, now that everyone else knew it seemed so much more real to me. He really was leaving.

The look on Brad’s face was so sad I started to cry again. “What do you mean?” Brad asked Tyler.

“I mean I leave next week buddy.” Ty said shrugging as he watched Brad’s face sadden.

“What? I thought we were bros man?” Brad asked upset.

“This isn’t something I Have control over.” Tyler said storming off to his car.

The team watched as he pealed out of the parking lot, leaving us all shocked by his sudden outburst. We all exchanged worried glances unsure of what to do with ourselves. Zdeno was the first to speak.

“I know this is shocking news guys, but we need to remain focused on the task ahead of us. Everybody go home and rest up for the games next week.”

Patrice put his arm around me and led me over to the car as he opened my door for me. When he got in on the driver’s side, I could tell that the news was weighing on him heavily. I took my hand pulled his face over to mine for a kiss.

“Everything happens for a reason Love.” I said staring into his warm brown eyes.

He gave me a faint smile, “Did he tell Emma?”

It hit me like a ton of bricks how selfish I had been that night, I was so concerned about the friend I was losing it didn’t even occur to me that my Best friends boyfriend was leaving Boston. Granted Emma did a lot of travelling for work, but Boston has always been her home. Did Tyler leaving mean she left too? I shook all of the questions from my head long enough to answer Patrice, “I didn’t think to ask him.” I answered honestly.

When we got back to my apartment, we went straight to the bedroom, where we flopped our emotionally drained bodies down on the bed. It was silent for a long time as we laid there close to each other in the darkness. The only light was the moon reflecting off the water seeping through the window in my bedroom. I turned to face him, I could hardly make out his features, but from what I could tell, he wasn’t happy. Before I could ask him what was wrong, he wrapped a tight arm around me as he pulled me in close. I rested my head on his chest as I listened to him start to speak softly.

“You know, it could have happened to any of us.” He said flatly.

“What are you talking about?” I asked confused.

“The trade.” He sighed, “What if it was me, what would we do?”

Now it made sense why he was so upset about all of this. He was thinking of him and me all along.

“I don’t know, I’m sure we would make do Love.” I said softly rubbing his head.

“Make do? What does that even mean?” He asked in a heated tone.

“I mean wherever you go, as long as you want me, I’ll forever follow you.” I said nuzzling my face into the crook of his neck.

He didn’t speak for a long time, and that was okay with me. I assumed he was still thinking about everything. Just as I was drifting off into a slumber, his voice pulled me back to reality.

“I couldn’t ask you to give up your life for me. I wouldn’t ask…” He said pausing, “What if I got traded somewhere really awful? I couldn’t do that to you. You didn’t choose this life.”

I didn’t speak for a moment as I let his words really settle in, “You’re right.” I said simply, “I didn’t choose this life, I chose you. You, Patrice, are my life. Not Boston, not my bakery, you.” I stared into his eyes lovingly.

His entire persona softened, “Are you sure about this? Even if I get traded to somewhere like Calgary?” He asked.

As funny as his question seemed to me I didn’t dare laugh. “I’ll follow you and your career to the North Pole if I have to.” I said reassuringly.

Within seconds of answering him, he was on top of me kissing me with so much passion I could hardly breathe. He broke away to look me in the eyes.

“I love you so much.” He said as he tucked a stray piece of my hair behind my ear. I returned the sentiment with a warm smile and let my mind wander off to the wonderful party we had thrown. It made me think back to the first costume party he and I had gone to.

“Remember the last costume party and Milan’s?” I asked.

“How could I forget? You kidnapped me after.” He said laughing. I didn’t respond right away as I let myself get lost in the memory. This is one thing my accident gave me, an appreciation of the memories I do have. I focus in on the few specific memories I have and relive them often.

“That’s when I fell in love with you.” I said almost to myself. I wasn’t sure if he had heard me when he didn’t respond. I turned to look at him when I saw him with his eyes closed and his mouth formed into a little O . “Good night baby.” I whispered softly snuggling into his warm chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry its been forever since I updated this Life's been complicated... Hope you all enjoyed this chapter thank you for sticking with this story hopefully have a update for my Johnny Boychuk story Out of the Ashes tomorrow.
Love you guys!