Status: In the process

Caged Birds Don't Like to Sing

Just Tonight, I Won’t Leave. And I’ll lie and You’ll Believe

A bothersome, throbbing ache pounded from the inside of my skull. I couldn’t remember anything after yesterday afternoon when I started to drink. Not that much probably even happened. I guess my plan turned out to not be as bright of an idea as I thought. Never will I drink Jameson again. The pure thought of it made me feel sick already.

I couldn’t even sit up in bed. I laid there on my back and stared up at the ceiling. I endlessly pondered ways to get up. But when it came time to actually move, I couldn’t. It’s like when you know you have to get up for school or work, but you can’t bring yourself to. Or when you have to get up and go to the bathroom in the night. It’s all the same concept.

The thing that did get me up was the mouthwatering feeling in your mouth of puke coming up your esophagus. Oh great, I thought to myself, not being able to bring myself to say it for I might vomit right then and there.

Thank all that is holy that the bathroom was so close. I ran across the hall and threw myself at the toilet. Just in time. The running mixed with jerking movements of dry heaving made my head hurt even worse. I could feel my eyes throbbing in my head from the harsh bathroom lights. Once I was done, I dropped to the cold bathroom floor with a loud groan. I’ve never been this hungover before. The again, I don’t usually drink this much. I was always stuck being the driver when it came to being with Riley.

Jackson knocked at the opened door to let me know he was there. I lifted my head up slightly to look at him. “Told you,” he chuckled smugly and handed me a water bottle.

I took it and pressed myself up. I placed it to my lips and took a few sips. It was cold as it ran down my throat and took away some of the nasty taste in my mouth. “Told me what?”

“Oh, you don’t remember?” he asked, trying to seem surprised. He grinned and clasped his hands together. This all was obviously a very amusing game for him.

“You’re losing me.”

“I told you yesterday that you’d be so wasted. And you said,” he explained. Then he raised his voice a few octaves. “No, I will be peachy-keen.

“I don’t sound like that!” I snapped. “And I wouldn’t say peachy-keen.”

“You said peachy-keen.”

I scoffed and started to walk away. I stumbled, still feeling a little dizzy and Jackson caught me. “You should be more careful. You’re still probably a little tipsy.” I ignored his comment and walked away, slamming the door behind me.

Throughout the afternoon, I was chugging down water bottles and refusing to move from my bed unless it was a run to the bathroom. The vomiting started to fade out and the water actually soaked up into my system. After the unbearable parts were going away, I began to feel a better. I could at least walk stable once again.

That’s when I messaged Riley. I told her my whole situation and how everything was. She didn’t believe me at first, but I convinced her. I got another ‘I told you so’ from her and how she called that it wasn’t going to be good news from my parents. She said she’d visit me when she was free. That could mean anything. She usually sleeps in until three or later in the afternoon and then she has a bar shift from eight that night to four in the morning. And I really doubt she’d see me before work. She doesn’t care about me that much. It’s too much to ask of her.

Later, before the sun started to go down, Jackson came into my room. He immediately looked at all of the water bottles scattered around the floor and said, “Don’t you have to pee?”

“Not yet. I already did like five times in the last hour.” Jackson smiled and laughed.

“Do you want to go somewhere with me?” he offered.

“What do you mean by somewhere?” I asked suspiciously. Lately he has stopped with his failed attempts at asking me to go anywhere with him since he likes the escape.

“Out,” he said with a wry smirk, knowing that it got under my nerves.

I sighed. “Sure. Why not.”

“Let’s go then.” He reached out, stealing my wrist and pulling me out of bed. If I hadn't’ felt better by now, I would have thrown up all over him. Not that I would have minded that much.

“Hey, hey! Be gentle,” I hollered. This wrist has been getting tugged on too much lately. He ignored me and pulled me along. He grabbed Annabelle on the way out, too.

Once we got outside, we slowed our pace to a very slow walk. His hand slid down my arm and landed in my hand. His fingers intertwined with mine.

I glowered up at him and was going to demand for a reason with his touchy behavior. But he wasn’t even looking at me to begin with. He was staring out far into the forest area. I followed his eyes and gazed in the same direction. All that I could think of was that I hoped he had good idea of where we were going. I really wasn’t in the mood for getting lost in the woods for the night. Or murdered. I slid my hand out of his grasp.

We walked in silence for at least fifteen minutes until we reached a specific location. To me it looked like the rest of the forest that we’ve been sauntering aimlessly in, but Jackson must think it’s special or something.

It looked like any normal forest. Dirt on the ground with grass in some areas with purple little flowers peeking through. Trees in abundance with fallen branches and the setting sun’s rays shining through the leaves. I do have to admit, it was very lovely. Even for a more of an indoors person, like me. Maybe it was just nice to be out of Jackson’s house for a while. “So this is it.” I stuffed my hands in my pockets and rocked on my heels.

“Not exactly. Come on.” Once he started walking away, he made a motion with his hand for me to follow. I walked a few feet behind him, dragging my feet as we went. I could see the dirt and rocks move around my feet as I made a little path.

He led me off into a small creek. Rocks were around the edges and crystal clear water trickled over them, dumping into the creek. I could see my reflection almost perfectly in the water. Lower trees surrounded this area, letting in more sunlight, with even more little purple flowers on the ground.

“Wow,” I gasped, walking out further. Jackson took my hand quickly and made sure I didn’t slip on a wet stone or something.

“Don’t fall,” he cautioned.

“I’m fine.” I took my hand back from his. I held my arms out for balance as I walked out. I reached a taller rock that I sat on and stuck my feet in the water. The coldness flowed over and between each toe and soaked my flip flops.

Jackson followed right behind me and sat on a different rock. “It’s nice, isn’t it?”

Still looking down at the water, I felt a genuine smile grow on my lips. “Yeah. I can see why you come out here. But now that I know about it, it won’t be your escape. I know where to find you now.”

“Drat,” he teased. I glared at him playfully.

I watched him go back to solid ground and as he picked up his guitar. I couldn’t really hear anything. I was too far away and the sound of the water drained out the tune.

As I stood up, I carefully hopped back and landed at shore. I sat across from him. “Are you going to play me a song?” I teased.

He looked up at me and half smiled. “Maybe you’ll know this tune.” He started to strum on the instrument. I didn’t think he actually would play a song for me, but I was excited to be able to hear him play again. I always had a respect for anyone who could play an instrument. Even if it was Jackson.

I listened to him as he began to tune up the guitar. It only took a few seconds and I listened patiently as he strummed the first few notes. It started off slow and peaceful, matching the tranquil ambiance of the setting. He crookedly half-smiled up at me from playing, eagerly waiting for me to be able to guess the tune.

Stairway to Heaven,” I finally pointed out after listening for a bit longer. I knew the song quicker than I led on, I just liked soaking up the moment because I haven’t heard anyone play the guitar well in a while.

“Nice work. I didn’t think you’d get it.”

The sun was already starting to get low in the sky. The horizon was filled with pinks and oranges, but above the trees there were deep tones of blue and purple. I tucked my legs in and wrapped my arms around them as a cool breeze blew over. “You’re missing the sunset,” I said, thinking he’d be the first to notice it.

“Are you ready to go back?” He asked as he stopped playing the song and placed Annabelle at his side. He started to stand up and dust off his clothes from the dirt.

I yawned out a yeah and stood up after him. He started to walk off and I wandered behind him again. “I hope you know where you are going.”

“Don’t worry. I go out here a lot, remember?”

I continued to follow from behind until we reached the house. It was almost completely dark by then. The moon was already high in the sky and glowing dimly. The sky only had deep purples and black left in it, no sign of any blue anymore. Stars popped in every so often. “You don’t see those in the suburbs,” I gawked and stopped where I was, still in the middle of the vast field.

Jackson smiled slightly. “Yeah,” he said, not seeming very interested at the moment. “I’m heading in.”

“The night’s still young, grandpa,” I mocked and followed him back in, still looking around as the stars were getting more noticeable by the minute. I could never pick out any constellations by myself. I was a lost cause when it came to that. But that didn’t mean I couldn’t think they were just as lovely as any astrologist.

“I didn’t say I was going to bed,” he mentioned as he headed up the stairs. I raised and eyebrow, confused and still walking behind him.

“What does that mean?” I asked.

“Whatever you want it to mean, darlin’,” he winked once we were at the top of the steps, a wry grin taking over her lips.

“How many times do I have to I have to say it, Rathbone? Don’t call me that.”

“Force of habit,” he shrugged. When we reached his door, he slid in. He peeked his face out. “You want to join?”

I actually thought about my answer. It was either go in with him for a bit or be bored out of my mind until I fell asleep. Before I could say anything, he took my hand and pulled me in closer to the doorway, answering for me.

“Right this way,” he welcomed, holding his arm out. I shook my head and rolled my eyes, but walked in any way.

The first thing that I did when I went in his room was hop on the rocking chair. I took a plushy, white blanket and wrapped it around me. I’ve been wanting to do that since the first time I got here.

He sat over on the bed, still in all of his clothes from today. I looked at his attire. It consisted of a deep maroon, button down shirt that was opened at the top and black denim pants. “You sleep in that?” I asked.

“Of course not. I’m not going to change with you in here though. I’m not some kind of hooker or something.” he laughed at his own comment.

“I don’t get it,” I said, raising an eyebrow. I feel like I’ve been doing that a lot lately. Jackson vexed me to do so.

“Oh,” Jackson said, sitting up straight. “I forgot. You don’t remember last night.”

I felt my eyes grow wide before a face palmed myself. “What did I do last night?” Jackson just started laughing hysterically.

“Tell me, Jackson!” I ordered harshly. The blanket was getting gripped tightly by my white knuckles. He continued laughing. I stood up and walked over to the bed. I grabbed him by the shoulders. “Stop laughing and tell me!” I said as I shook him.

When he settled down, he started to speak, “Well, you were obviously wasted. So I thought it would be best to send you to bed. But you were a hopeless train wreck and wouldn’t sleep if you weren’t in pajamas. So I got you some comfy clothes and you tried to change into them, but you couldn’t. So I physically had to dress you. And help you get your other clothes off first. You couldn’t even undo your pants.”

“You saw me naked?” I groaned, feeling embarrassed at how wasted I was at first. Then the thought began to simmer in my brain and I began to get angry.

“No. You had on underwear. I’m not that perverted,” he comforted.

“Still.” My voice was sharp.

“It was the only way to get you to bed,” he defended. “And it’s not like it’s a big deal. I’ve had girlfriends before. It’s not like I’m unaware of girls’ bodies.”

“Yeah but that doesn’t mean I wanted you to see mine. Even if it meant nothing,” I squalled. His unconcerned attitude about the situation shocked me.

“I didn’t. Honestly,” Jackson reassured.

I groaned and fell back on the bed. “I’m a mess.”

“No you aren’t,” Jackson said, getting up. Then added in, “Just last night you were.” I groaned again. “I’m changing, don’t look. Unless you really want to,” he mischievously said.

“Don’t worry, I won’t.” I didn’t dare move, keeping my back facing him.

He came back into the bed and hopped under the covers. He used his arm to pull me down and lay by him. Then he clicked off his night stand’s lamp. “Good thing you’re already in pajamas,” he observed. I hadn’t even bothered to change all day. I was too ill feeling and tired.

“I’m not staying in here.” I began to get up.

“Too late,” Jackson cackled, pulling the covers out from under me, then tucking them over me. His arm locked around me.

“You’re just like Robert,” I sneered.

Jackson pretended to act appalled. “I am not. I am your fiancé. Can’t we share a bed? It’s not like I’m going to grope you down during the night.”

Out of all the wrong things that I could have pointed out in those sentences, the only one I happened to notice was the comment on getting married. “Don’t call me your fiancé.”

“Well can’t we share a bed, at least?”

“Fine. Just one night,” I said, turning my back to him.

He pulled me in closer and wrapped his arms around me so we were in the spooning position. I twirled around so I was facing him and pressed my palms against his chest, trying to pry myself away. He let go and I scooted farther away from him, nearing the edge of the bed.

“I knew you couldn’t resist me,” he teased as he stroked the back of my neck.

I got a shiver down my bones like always. “God, I hate it when you do that!” I screeched as I scooted further away. “And no. I can definitely resist you.”

“That’s what you think,” he toyed on.

“Goodnight, Jackson.”

“Fine, baby.”

“Don’t call me that either,” I hissed.

“Sweetheart,” he egged on.

“Stop.”

“Gorgeous.”

I turned around and stared him right in the eyes bitterly. “Damn it, you are a nuisance!”

“Quit it, I’ll blush.” He had a smug smirk on his face the entire time.

“I’m going to leave if you don’t stop,” I threatened.

“Fine, I’ll stop.”

I turned back around and kept my distance away from him. For the next passing moments he didn’t even say anything or touch me. I was baffled by his abiding behavior for it was out of the ordinary.

“Hm,” I muttered out loud moments later, thinking to myself.

“What?”

“You can’t resist me, can you?” I used his own joke against him. I sat up in my spot.

“What?” He repeated, a little more confused than before. He sat up and glared at me, obviously not liking where this was going.

I started to quote Miss Congeniality. “You want to kiss me. You want to hugme. You want to love me,” I cooed in a singing voice. I shimmed around in an attempt at dancing while sitting in bed.

Jackson reached out and poked my side. “Ouch,” I said, falling down into the blankets with a jerking movement.

“You’re a bully, you bully,” He fake sulked. He kept poking at my stomach. I kept lurching around until I finally managed to cover both of my sides tightly.

“And what does that make you? You antagonized this,” I said in a pained voice as I swatted away as I slapped his hands.

“Someone is a little cranky.”

“Because you are here!” Then I corrected, “Well, I’m in here, actually, but you’re forcing me to be in here. See, I can’t even sleep around you. You keep me awake!”

Jackson smiled wryly. “I get that a lot.” He blew on his fist and pretended to rub it against his shirt.

“You twist things around too much.”

“You set yourself up for them,” he playfully retorted.

“Despicable,” I hissed, laying back down in the bed. I turned over so I was facing away from him.

“Are you finally going to sleep? Or am I just too awesome for you to even think about sleeping?” He teased on. He leaned over my body and poked my nose lightly.

“Night,” I grumbled. I pulled the covers over my head to muffle his voice.

“Sweet dreams, sweet--”

“Don’t say it,” I warned once again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter title from Just Tonight by The Pretty Reckless.

Keep commenting so I can make the story more enjoyable for you guys! I love getting feedback, especially if it encourages me.